Selecting more nutritious forms of vegetables and fruits

saysfaa

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jul 1, 2017
Upper Midwest, USA
There have been several threads lately about mixing one's own feed for chickens. Also, threads about feeding chickens as people did before commercial feeds were so available. This is not meant to be the end of that discussion. It is a perspective. The following is a series of selections from a book about food for people that I found to be a good starting place for thinking differently about food. The book is Eating on the Wild Side by Jo Robinson published in 2013. When I picked it up in a resale shop, I thought it was about wild plants as food. It is not. It is about comparing the nutrition of different kinds (sometimes varieties) of domesticated plants with wild versions and each other. Also, why it matters. Also, some simple things that can be done to increase the nutrients our bodies can use. Also, a little history, some plant biology, some human biology, and a little sociology.

All of the following are semiquotes from this book [within brackets are my comments]
Unwittingly, as we went about breeding more palatable fruits and vegetables, we were stripping away some of the very nutrients we now know to be essential of optimum health. ... The ancestors of our modern corn is a grass plant called teosinte... with about 30% protein and 2% sugar. Old-fashioned sweet corn is 4% protein and 10% sugar. Some of the newest varieties of supersweet corn are as high as 40% sugar.

...One species of wild tomato has 15 times more lycopene than the typical supermarket tomato. Some of the native potatoes that grow in the foothills of the Andes have twenty-eight times more phytonutrients than our russet potatoes. One species of wild apple that grows in Nepal has an amazing one hundred time more bionutrients that our most popular apples...

By the time of the Roman Empire, the difference between wild and our man-made varieties had, even then, become marked. The roots of domesticated beets, carrots, and parsnips were twice as large as the roots of their wild ancestors, and they contained less protein, more sugar, and more starch. Most domesticated fruits were several times larger than wild versions, and they had thinner skins, more sugar, less fiber, more pulp, and fewer antioxidents.

In the twentieth century, science-based breeding techniques speeded up the process.

The entire time, the nutritional content of our man-made varieties has been an afterthought. [Sometimes that gives unexpected results]... Many people in this country believe that the varieties of fruits and vegetables that were raised by our grandparents and great-grandparents are better for our health than the ones we grow today. ...the latest research shows that many modern varieties are more nutritious than heirlooms. The Liberty apple, released seventy-five years after Golden Delicious has twice the antioxidant value... {we need to look at} ten thousand years of agriculture, not just the last one hundred or two hundred years.

What to do? We cannot go back to foraging for wild plants - there are too many of us and not enough wilderness. This book presents a new and radical solution, we can eat "on the wild side" by selecting varieties of fruits and vegetables that have retained much of the nutritional content of their wild ancestors.

A sample from the chapters on some of the foods covered [usually a chapter to each - much, much more information than I put here].

Corn - choose cornmeal made from blue, red, and purple corn to get more fiber, antioxidants, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, choline, and betaine.

Potato- Purple Peruvian potato (Solanum tuberosum subsp. adigena is sometimes available is one of the most nutritious of all varieties. On an ounce by ounce basis, it has twenty-eight time more bionutrients than Russet Burbank and 166 times more than Kennebec. And less sugar and rapidly digested starch so doesn't give the sharp rise in blood glucose level. Of the most common varieties in grocery stores, Russet Burbank has the most phytonutrients, especially vitamin C, B2, B3, and folic acid. Some grocery stores are starting to carry "novelty" potatoes - with red, blue, purple, or black skin and/or deeply colored flesh. Colored skins are somewhat better, deeply colored flesh is much, much better. Blue is better than Red is better than Yellow is better than White. If you grow your own: Mountain Rose, Purple Majesty, and All Blue were bred specifically to increase their nutritional content (all with traditional breeding techniques). Red French Fingerling has ten times more antioxidants that Yukon Gold. And cooking potatoes, then chilling them for 24 hours before eating them or reheating them tames the glycemic spike.

Potato chaper covers: Apios (Apios americana) was eaten by the Souix. It has three times more protein than our potatoes and is a rich source of genistein (linked with lowered risk of breast and prostate cancers) and lowers high blood pressure). Solanum tuberosum (Irish potato) has as many as five thousand varieties (mostly in its native Andes) but many also have high levels of deadly glycolkaloids that can be dealt with but you have to know to do so.

Carrots. Purple/yellow carrots have almost 40 total phenolics per gram purple/orange have almost 15, red and orange and white all have less than five. And most of them in each case are in the skin and other outer layers - the part cut off to make baby carrots. Cooked carrots are more nutritious than raw carrots. Cooking them whole hold more of their nutrients than carrots sliced before cooking, and eating them with a bit of fat or oil is more nutritious than without the lipids. Whole carrots, steamed whole, with a bit of oil gives 8 times the beta-carotene as eating baby carrots raw.

Legumes, lentils (not same family but similar profiles and uses)
Legumes are very high in protein but low in methionine, which most grains are rich in. Tan-colored lentils are good, brown is better, black is best.

Early farmers in the Middle East grew wheat and barley, peas and beans. Early farmers in East Asia grew rice with lentils, peas, beans, and chickpeas. Early farmers in Africa grew millet, peanuts, and cowpeas. Early farmers in the Americas grew corn, squash, and beans.

Beans come in many colors, green is the least nutritious of all the common fruits and vegetables. Fresh black-eyed peas have five times more antioxidant activity. Royal Burgundy, Royalty Purple, and Black-seeded Kentucky Wonder also have much more. Yellow dried peas give six times the antioxidant protection of green dried peas. Black beans give twice as much as yellow dried peas. Lentils give a little more than black beans. One cup of navy beans has 19 grams of fiber, the third best source listed by the USDA National Nutrient Database.

Most of the time, the more highly colored variety is more nutritious. There are exceptions. Cauliflower, for one. White peaches for another. There are others.
Most of the time, the smaller the fruit compared to others of the species; the more nutritious. There are exceptions.

That’s very interesting Saysfaa! It’s true that the best heirlooms are still with us because we value and still use them as food or breeding material. I grow heirloom and modern fruit in my orchard. Someone is always moaning about all the lost apples of yesteryear but we still have access to thousands of cultivars and most people choose to buy 12 kinds from the store rather than grow something better. I am collecting and breeding Apple varieties because I am involved with growing my own food. The heirlooms come from a time when 90 % of the population did the same. When they quit the farm and moved to industrial occupation there was no one left to grow the heirlooms. The best heirlooms were kept and the rest faded away.

I have a lot of experience growing, processing, eating and selling food. The best food requires time. We either must do it ourselves or pay someone to do it for us. When you do it yourself, you can afford to eat like a king. When you have to pay someone to do it for you and you are not the king, you might have to eat like a pauper. It all comes down to time and what you trade for it.

There have been several threads lately about mixing one's own feed for chickens. Also, threads about feeding chickens as people did before commercial feeds were so available. This is not meant to be the end of that discussion. It is a perspective. The following is a series of selections from a book about food for people that I found to be a good starting place for thinking differently about food. The book is Eating on the Wild Side by Jo Robinson published in 2013. When I picked it up in a resale shop, I thought it was about wild plants as food. It is not. It is about comparing the nutrition of different kinds (sometimes varieties) of domesticated plants with wild versions and each other. Also, why it matters. Also, some simple things that can be done to increase the nutrients our bodies can use. Also, a little history, some plant biology, some human biology, and a little sociology.

All of the following are semiquotes from this book [within brackets are my comments]
Unwittingly, as we went about breeding more palatable fruits and vegetables, we were stripping away some of the very nutrients we now know to be essential of optimum health. ... The ancestors of our modern corn is a grass plant called teosinte... with about 30% protein and 2% sugar. Old-fashioned sweet corn is 4% protein and 10% sugar. Some of the newest varieties of supersweet corn are as high as 40% sugar.

...One species of wild tomato has 15 times more lycopene than the typical supermarket tomato. Some of the native potatoes that grow in the foothills of the Andes have twenty-eight times more phytonutrients than our russet potatoes. One species of wild apple that grows in Nepal has an amazing one hundred time more bionutrients that our most popular apples...

By the time of the Roman Empire, the difference between wild and our man-made varieties had, even then, become marked. The roots of domesticated beets, carrots, and parsnips were twice as large as the roots of their wild ancestors, and they contained less protein, more sugar, and more starch. Most domesticated fruits were several times larger than wild versions, and they had thinner skins, more sugar, less fiber, more pulp, and fewer antioxidents.

In the twentieth century, science-based breeding techniques speeded up the process.

The entire time, the nutritional content of our man-made varieties has been an afterthought. [Sometimes that gives unexpected results]... Many people in this country believe that the varieties of fruits and vegetables that were raised by our grandparents and great-grandparents are better for our health than the ones we grow today. ...the latest research shows that many modern varieties are more nutritious than heirlooms. The Liberty apple, released seventy-five years after Golden Delicious has twice the antioxidant value... {we need to look at} ten thousand years of agriculture, not just the last one hundred or two hundred years.

What to do? We cannot go back to foraging for wild plants - there are too many of us and not enough wilderness. This book presents a new and radical solution, we can eat "on the wild side" by selecting varieties of fruits and vegetables that have retained much of the nutritional content of their wild ancestors.

A sample from the chapters on some of the foods covered [usually a chapter to each - much, much more information than I put here].

Corn - choose cornmeal made from blue, red, and purple corn to get more fiber, antioxidants, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, choline, and betaine.

Potato- Purple Peruvian potato (Solanum tuberosum subsp. adigena is sometimes available is one of the most nutritious of all varieties. On an ounce by ounce basis, it has twenty-eight time more bionutrients than Russet Burbank and 166 times more than Kennebec. And less sugar and rapidly digested starch so doesn't give the sharp rise in blood glucose level. Of the most common varieties in grocery stores, Russet Burbank has the most phytonutrients, especially vitamin C, B2, B3, and folic acid. Some grocery stores are starting to carry "novelty" potatoes - with red, blue, purple, or black skin and/or deeply colored flesh. Colored skins are somewhat better, deeply colored flesh is much, much better. Blue is better than Red is better than Yellow is better than White. If you grow your own: Mountain Rose, Purple Majesty, and All Blue were bred specifically to increase their nutritional content (all with traditional breeding techniques). Red French Fingerling has ten times more antioxidants that Yukon Gold. And cooking potatoes, then chilling them for 24 hours before eating them or reheating them tames the glycemic spike.

Potato chaper covers: Apios (Apios americana) was eaten by the Souix. It has three times more protein than our potatoes and is a rich source of genistein (linked with lowered risk of breast and prostate cancers) and lowers high blood pressure). Solanum tuberosum (Irish potato) has as many as five thousand varieties (mostly in its native Andes) but many also have high levels of deadly glycolkaloids that can be dealt with but you have to know to do so.

Carrots. Purple/yellow carrots have almost 40 total phenolics per gram purple/orange have almost 15, red and orange and white all have less than five. And most of them in each case are in the skin and other outer layers - the part cut off to make baby carrots. Cooked carrots are more nutritious than raw carrots. Cooking them whole hold more of their nutrients than carrots sliced before cooking, and eating them with a bit of fat or oil is more nutritious than without the lipids. Whole carrots, steamed whole, with a bit of oil gives 8 times the beta-carotene as eating baby carrots raw.

Legumes, lentils (not same family but similar profiles and uses)
Legumes are very high in protein but low in methionine, which most grains are rich in. Tan-colored lentils are good, brown is better, black is best.

Early farmers in the Middle East grew wheat and barley, peas and beans. Early farmers in East Asia grew rice with lentils, peas, beans, and chickpeas. Early farmers in Africa grew millet, peanuts, and cowpeas. Early farmers in the Americas grew corn, squash, and beans.

Beans come in many colors, green is the least nutritious of all the common fruits and vegetables. Fresh black-eyed peas have five times more antioxidant activity. Royal Burgundy, Royalty Purple, and Black-seeded Kentucky Wonder also have much more. Yellow dried peas give six times the antioxidant protection of green dried peas. Black beans give twice as much as yellow dried peas. Lentils give a little more than black beans. One cup of navy beans has 19 grams of fiber, the third best source listed by the USDA National Nutrient Database.

Most of the time, the more highly colored variety is more nutritious. There are exceptions. Cauliflower, for one. White peaches for another. There are others.
Most of the time, the smaller the fruit compared to others of the species; the more nutritious. There are exceptions.
Thank you. While interesting, not very surprising. I'll look for the book.

Old-fashioned sweet corn is 4% protein and 10% sugar. Some of the newest varieties of supersweet corn are as high as 40% sugar.

I prefer the flavor of the older, less sweet corn but I appreciate the way modern corn holds so that I can buy it when I see it then cook and/or freeze it on my next day off.

When I was a kid corn was a treat because you had to make a special trip to the farmer's market to get it -- otherwise it was old, tough, and starchy.

If any of you are gardeners, I get a lot of my vegetable seeds from baker creek heirloom seed company. They have TONS of colorful veggie varieties from around the world. I try to grow what I can and heirlooms as much as possible for seed saving and also because he nutrient content oftentimes is higher. I am definitely going to find this book at the library!

The overarching theme of man's manipulation and selection over the centuries??? More bioavailable, greater calories per unit, less effort to harvest. Quantity, over quality - with the gain in time saved repurposed for all the the other things which has allowed man to develop a society and advance technologically. For good or ill.

Didn't know cooked carrots were more nutritious. Fine with me, I prefer them cooked.

The ability to cook food and thus make it's nutrition more available is thought to have been the advance that made our big brains possible. :)

with the gain in time saved repurposed for all the the other things which has allowed man to develop a society and advance technologically.

I am into homesteading and self-sufficiency to a moderate degree -- focusing on providing my family with luxury foods that are not terribly difficult to raise but either expensive to buy (muscadines), far superior in quality to the purchased alternatives (tomatoes), or so short-lived in storage as to be inconvenient to purchase (pickling-type cucumbers).

But I find that the homesteading community sometimes romanticizes subsistence farming in a rather alarming way. One book we read included the statement that the couple in question "Just don't eat that day," as their means of having a day off.

"Just don't eat," is, IMO, a totally unacceptable situation. :)

But I find that the homesteading community sometimes romanticizes subsistence farming in a rather alarming way. One book we read included the statement that the couple in question "Just don't eat that day," as their means of having a day off.

"Just don't eat," is, IMO, a totally unacceptable situation. :)

They are STILL romantacizing it! I find that if I don't work today, I don't eat in three days time, or next week, or next month. So much that I want to eat NOW has to have been "done" some time ago, to be ready for preparation this evening.

We rest our culled birds for days. Brining veggies as pickles, hours to days. Corning beef - 7-10 days. Green growing things, weeks to months. I'm two months into a mushroom garden that might produce this fall if I'm lucky, except for one variety that's two years out. Most fruit trees? Grape vines? etc? 2-5 years...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom