Selecting more nutritious forms of vegetables and fruits

Like purple beans,

I lament the fact that I can no longer grow Royalty Purple Pod and Royal Burgundy Purple Pod beans here in the south -- they're just not suited to my soil.

Louisiana Purple Pod pole bean is close, but not the same.

I wish there was a purple version of State Half-Runner because those things were bred for exactly my conditions and will overrun the earth given a little water and a hint of lime to take the edge off the acidity of my soil.

I love to grow a rainbow assortment of various cherry tomatoes but strongly prefer the older ones to the modern, over-sweet ones. To my mind, tomatoes are supposed to taste like VEGETABLES, not like candy.

I lament the fact that I can no longer grow Royalty Purple Pod and Royal Burgundy Purple Pod beans here in the south -- they're just not suited to my soil.

Louisiana Purple Pod pole bean is close, but not the same.

I wish there was a purple version of State Half-Runner because those things were bred for exactly my conditions and will overrun the earth given a little water and a hint of lime to take the edge off the acidity of my soil.

I love to grow a rainbow assortment of various cherry tomatoes but strongly prefer the older ones to the modern, over-sweet ones. To my mind, tomatoes are supposed to taste like VEGETABLES, not like candy.

"beefsteak" varieties - bland, barely colored, limp toppings for burgers from fast food joints of questionable nutritional value and ground beef "products" you wouldn't serve the family dog.

I love Romas, and San Marzanos, most plum tomatoes, and any "grape" tomato not desigated as "patio" (skin too thick), so I'm one of those low acid tomato fans, sorry. That said, I won't select any variety/cultivar from the last centruy. Romas and San Marzanos meet my needs quite adequately, thank you.

Fair Warn. The "Purple" tomatoes, whether the Cherokee, the Black Prince, the Black Krim, the Purple Plum/Black Plum, etc are all high in a flavanoid which for some people is very "distinct" - like "cilantro tastes like soap" distinct. If you have the gene, they may be completely unpalatable to you.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I love purple/black tomatoes, as I'm a big fan of a lot of the "most hated" foods, like cilantro, coffee, blueberries.

Downside is I still can't find the right black tomato for me - I've tried growing a number of varieties (Black Krim, Black Prince, a couple others) but the depth of the flavor isn't strong enough for me. Closest so far has been Paul Robeson but my plant died last year before producing. :(
For cherry tomatoes, I really love the super sweet ones. I can pick them while gardening and treat myself while I work. Conversely, for regular tomatoes, I much prefer a deeper, more old fashioned flavor. Tart tomatoes are the only no for me, not my cup of tea.

thanks for this @saysfaa ; I look forward to reading the book when it arrives.
In the meantime,
The ancestors of our modern corn is a grass plant called teosinte... with about 30% protein and 2% sugar. Old-fashioned sweet corn is 4% protein and 10% sugar. Some of the newest varieties of supersweet corn are as high as 40% sugar.
suggests that the nutritional profile of various ingredients on feed bags is rather less accurate than it appears to be. 'Corn', like other things, comes in lots of varieties, and who knows which ones were tested to produce the profile?

thanks for this @saysfaa ; I look forward to reading the book when it arrives.
In the meantime,

suggests that the nutritional profile of various ingredients on feed bags is rather less accurate than it appears to be. 'Corn', like other things, comes in lots of varieties, and who knows which ones were tested to produce the profile?
Glad to help!

The commercial feed companies test enough to know very, very accurately. They have to in order to meet the labeling requirements. They have enough volume to make that much testing pretty economical. They may not test every single batch but they do test again every time they change anything, even if it is just the same variety from a different source. Also, periodically even if nothing changed.

The labeling rules are very, very strict. Where they get unhelpful to the consumer is when the definitions aren't very intuitive to the general public.

Glad to help!

The commercial feed companies test enough to know very, very accurately. They have to in order to meet the labeling requirements. They have enough volume to make that much testing pretty economical. They may not test every single batch but they do test again every time they change anything, even if it is just the same variety from a different source. Also, periodically even if nothing changed.

The labeling rules are very, very strict. Where they get unhelpful to the consumer is when the definitions aren't very intuitive to the general public.
Anyone trying to work out the percentages for themselves would presumably have to use a generic figure for e.g. 'corn' though, so we'd need to know which variety of corn was tested to produce the generic figure wouldn't we?

Back
Top Bottom