Self-Blue Cochin Bantams

Pics

cochinman2005

Songster
11 Years
Sep 19, 2008
Virginia
Self-Blue Cochins are next to impossible to find especially of any quality here in the U.S., and it is a color that myself and a couple fellow breeders have been admiring from afar (across the pond) for a couple years. As luck would have it, we stumbled acrossed a pair of "Gray" Cochin bantams last spring at a local swap meet. We immediately identified them as Self-Blue but they were pretty far removed from being a Cochin. More like single combed Wyandottes with feathered legs. However, this was a chance to at least get the Self-Blue genes needed to work on a line of Self-Blue Cochins. So after a bit of bartering, home we came with these birds. The following photos show that they were a bit of a stretch to be called a Cochin.
15970_100_1402.jpg
15970_100_1403.jpg

As you can see the color was pretty good. So I bred the male to a couple different Black Cochin hens, and used 3 different Black males with the SB female (separated by time so that I knew I had 3 different matings). The following is a couple photos of the f1 SB Split to Black offspring.
15970_100_1398.jpg
15970_100_1404.jpg

Type is much improved and these are probably the best two out of the ones I raised. I considered myself quite lucky to have gotten a male that good in the f1 generation. The majority of the birds had black legs and white bottomed feet, however as in the case of the two birds in the photos I did get some with yellow pigment. I chose the two best f1 males and the 4 best f1 females and bred them back to each other this spring. Statistically you should get 25% Self-Blue from this match up, but I did little bit better than that. I hatched 23 birds and 11 were Self-Blue. One died and I am growing out the 10 remaining f2's. They are a bit dark in the hackle, and the feather quality is still in question, but progress is being made. The best of these will be bred back to Blacks and perhaps in the f4 generation they will be much improved in type. The f3 chicks will all be black once again, and those will be bred back to one another resulting in Self-Blues again in the f4 offspring. Or at least that's the plan.
Some pics of the f2 birds. They are around 4 months old. I have some with yellow pigmented feet and some with blue. Goal being to have yellow feet, but focusing on type at this point. You'll also note that the earlobe color is way off. This comes from the original pair, and will be bred out over time.
15970_july_09_049.jpg
15970_july_09_054.jpg
15970_july_09_053.jpg
15970_july_09_055.jpg
15970_july_09_052.jpg
15970_july_09_058.jpg

Examples of differences in foot color.
15970_july_09_059.jpg
15970_july_09_061.jpg

The original pair have been together since I stopped using them for breeding, and the hen lays like a Leghorn, so I let her keep her eggs. She didn't have much of an interest in setting so after her laying a bunch of eggs and them getting kicked around and then me throwing them away repeatedly, she finally gave in and started setting on 5 eggs, hatching 3. I won't use them for anything, but I like the color, plus I was curious to see if these would result in anything better than the parents. I thought I'd post a pic of her with the chicks. The third chick is underneath her. You can see that she carries good even color.
15970_july_09_069.jpg

With luck and some patience we might see something closer to the standard in the f4 birds. Time will tell but I thought there might be some interest in seeing the progress so far.

Last edited:
I thought I would post some photos to show how the f2 Self-Blues developed. I was pleasantly surprised by the improvement in type in just 2 generations. The f2 SB's are a mixture of Blue Legged, white skinned birds and Yellow legged, yellow skinned birds. The best cockerel and pullet are Blue legged. However, I have 2 yellow legged pullets and a yellow legged cockerel that are close in type. The heads are much improved. Lobe color is terrible, but can be attributed to the pair of Self-Blues I started with. I will breed the poor lobe color out in time. Feather quality is fair, and better in the pullets compared to the cockerels. I will select for feather quality with the f3 birds and beyond. The plan is to use both the yellow legged and blue legged birds and cross back to Blacks for the f3 generation producing more SB split to Blacks. Assuming type is much better with this generation, I will use only yellow legged f3 birds for the following f4 matings.

15970_dscn0132.jpg
15970_dscn0135.jpg
15970_dscn0140.jpg

Blue Legged Pullet, Blue Legged Cockerel, Yellow Legged Pullet

15970_dscn0145.jpg
15970_dscn0147.jpg

Yellow Legged Cockerel, Group shot

Awesome progress cochinman2005! I love seeing lavender on new breeds.

Wouldn't breeding anything but a cochin to a cochin make it a cross? So technically the offspring of the future would never be true blood? I guess it doesn't work that way for showing. I can show 2/3 crosses for dairy, even if it is a dairy/meat cross for goats.

Technically yes but no breed of chicken is pure aka not crossed with some other breed at some time.

Also its often the only way to introduce new colors.

Chickens reproduce so quickly that it is relatively easy to get back type and breed qualities compared to larger animals with slower reproductive rates.
big_smile.png

Lavender is a very distinct color. It is called Self-Blue by the standard and as can be inferred from that naming scheme, when bred Self-Blue X Self-Blue, they only produce Self-Blue. Blue on the other hand is genetically much different, and Blue X Blue will produce, Blue, Black and Splash. Additionally, Blue varieties should be laced whereas Self-Blue are not. It's a very even color. When viewed from the underside, Lavender (Self-Blue) feathers have dark shafts.

A bit of an update with the F3 group. A couple pullets and ckls split to Black. These are about 4 months old. These are 4 of the group of around 30 that I hatched. These guys are from a Black Male X SB Female mating. My SB Male X Black female chicks are much younger as I wanted to get my pure blacks out first before I bothered hatching any SB splits out of the Black females. Interesting note is that the majority of the chicks from the Black X SB matings (I did 3 separate breedings this way) have yellow legs. However, I got a higher percentage of white/blue legs out of the SB Male X Black females matings, even though the SB ckl that I used had yellow legs.

Type and feather mass is much improved as well as head points. The heads look much more Cochin than the gamey look of the original pair.

Pullet 1:
15970_dscn0439.jpg

Pullet 2:
15970_dscn0442.jpg

Ckl 1: This guy is molting pretty well in the tail.
15970_dscn0466.jpg

Head shot of ckl from previous photo.
15970_dscn0467.jpg

Ckl 2: This guy has pretty good width of feather. Also molting in the back and tail area pretty heavily.
15970_dscn0468.jpg

Same ckl as previous photo. Width across the back is much improved.
15970_dscn0470.jpg

Here are my girls (I think) at 3 months old
big_smile.png
- not the greatest of pics I know LOL

IMG_5733.jpg

IMG_5745.jpg

They are my absolute favorites among my chickens, however they are soo small still, nowhere near the size of the adult bantams I've seen. Is it normal for this breed to take a long time to mature? They still cheep like chicks too. I mixed them in with the bigger (mixed group) hens recently but they are so timid that they missed out on food so I've penned them again in the dog crate until they are bigger.

Back
Top Bottom