Self-Blue Cochin Bantams

Pics
I'm just starting with Lavender - 1 chick so far! This thread is great - such good info. Sounds like I'm in for a challenge, a good challenge.

Updated pictures of f3 Self-Blue split to Blacks.

15970_dscn0710.jpg
15970_dscn0713.jpg
15970_dscn0716.jpg

3 different pullets. All have yellow legs.

15970_dscn0719.jpg
15970_dscn0721.jpg
15970_dscn0724.jpg

2 cockerels. The cockerel on the left is the best typed male out of the f3 males, but he does not have yellow legs. He showed good type from the start which is why he's still here. I couldn't pass up the type and bred to a yellow legged female should produce some yellow legged f4 birds. The shot from above is that male. The other male carries the same width but is a bit longer in the body. I've culled them down to 5 cockerels and around 14 pullets in preparation for breeding season in the early spring.

Quote:
I just LOVE your cochins. Im only on my f1 stage on Lavenders and dont have any grown up enough yet to really judge. I cant wait to see what I get out of the next batch. I also ordered some Lavender eggs from Covered Bridge Poultry so that should give me some more Lavenders to work with come spring.

Please do let me know if you have any chicks or eggs avalible.. even the black splits as that would push me up a few generations to work with.. Im also a fan of the other colors you have as well. Good Job
thumbsup.gif

Can't wait to see your F4's! These are looking awesome!

We have one lone Lavender Cochin Roo, and I'm looking for quality black or split black eggs. If you have any available, please let me know!

Quote:
February hopefully. I want to have them old enough to show at the Crossroads Show, assuming they'll be to the point where I am comfortable showing them.

Just put 35 Lavender and Split to Lavender (from 3 different breeders) in the incubator.
Actually its My neighbor's incubator. He is a chicken master with 3 different Marans flocks, Ameracauna, Jersey giant, red sexlinks and more. I'm just learning and sticking to Cochins.
If I get a 25% hatch rate that is 8 or 9 chicks. Just hatched 7 black and blue mottled for my Mille project. I'm going to have a busy winter and interesting spring.

Quote:
MJ, Why would you expect such a poor hatch rate? Were they shipped eggs? I would love to work on the lavender project. I am amazed at the progress the cochinman has made. I'm working on the Milles right now, I have chicks hatched from Mike's eggs. They look more like CaliCochins (like that name?) right now, but I'm lovin' that too. My flock is all together right now, but I'm processing my extra cockerals this week-end ( Orps and BLRWs, NOT Cochins), and then I'll be able to get everyone in pens, and get some pics.

Quote:
MJ, Why would you expect such a poor hatch rate? Were they shipped eggs? I would love to work on the lavender project. I am amazed at the progress the cochinman has made. I'm working on the Milles right now, I have chicks hatched from Mike's eggs. They look more like CaliCochins (like that name?) right now, but I'm lovin' that too. My flock is all together right now, but I'm processing my extra cockerals this week-end ( Orps and BLRWs, NOT Cochins), and then I'll be able to get everyone in pens, and get some pics.

Yes, they were shipped. The mail make hatch rates really unprediatable. In any case I am ready with little leg bands and notebook to keep track with whatever hatch count I get.

Back
Top Bottom