Self-Blue Cochin Bantams

Pics
Spoiled little princess, our Shadow. Here she is last winter sitting with DH in front of the wood stove. She was perfectly behaved, as a princess should be.

DCP_4442.jpg

DCP_4443.jpg

I just love the sweet cochin personalities. I'm going to show these pics to my husband to show him there are lots of others just as chicken crazy as me.

Does anyone have any lavender bantam cochin chicks/young started birds/eggs for sale right now?? I have been searching for some all year with absolutely no luck and I am desperate to find some before winter. If anyone has anything that they are willing to sell, can you please email me a [email protected]. Good type would be a definite definte plus but I am willing to look and consider anything anyone has for sale. I would love to get my hands on some of the birds listed in this post but I would really prefer not to have to wait until Feb. I will if I must though.

Cochinman2005 - Do you currently have a waiting list for your first offering of chicks/eggs?? Even if I manage to find some now ( which I doubt ) I am still going to be interested in getting birds from you. You have done a fantastic job with your birds and I would be honored to be able to have birds of such quality in my flock.

Well My hatch is done and since I left hubby to tend to the incubation while I was gone only 13 chicks out of 60+ eggs set made it
sad.png
Only 2 Golden Laced Cochins, 1 White Cochin, 3 Seramas, 5 Lavender Split Cochins, and 2 Lavender Cochins. Im happy a few of the Lavenders hatched as those I can reproduce as they were shipped eggs. Plus 5 more of my Lavender Split babies from my Lavender Rooster and Black Hens is nice too... and the others.. lol I love the chicks just sad they all didnt make it. What did them in is when I got home the temp was 96 for who knows how long then in an effort to get it back right it spiked to 102.9 and just fluxed too many times before lockdown so Im luck to have gotten these babies. Im just
fl.gif
that they keep going strong!

Will post pics when I can get them all to stand still for 5sec.. lol

And Cochinman2005 Im with Prism Poultry if there is a wait list for some of your birds/eggs please add me to it
wink.png

Prism Poultry I have Black split for Lavender chicks and eggs.. I dont know where you are located but you could always come check them out
smile.png

Somehow I think with all the interest in this variety, it would not be too difficult to get organized and get it recognized/accepted.

Cochinman, looking ahead, how does that process get started?

Quote:
Good morning.
I do not have a waiting list, but it's important to note that I don't sell chicks or eggs. Adult birds only.

With a variety like this, it wouldn't be advisable to go with chicks or eggs anyway. How would you know what you are getting?

Something to keep in mind... It is my intent to work toward a qualifying meet for Self-Blue Cochin Bantams sometime in the future. That said, when I am satisfied that my Self-Blues are to a point in my breeding where I am comfortable letting some go, I'll be looking for breeders willing to continue breeding and improving the Self-Blues, and willing to attend and exhibit the required number of birds for such a qualifying meet. I am currently on the f3 generation, so the f4's will again be Self-Blue. If I am not satisfied with the f4 progress, I will then go back to Blacks for the f5 generation, meaning that f6 will again be Self-Blue. Certainly by f6, they should be fairly nice with consistent results. The f3's have much better feather quality than the f2 Self-blues, but what I've noted in the short time that I've been working with Self-Blue, is that they tend to have poor feather quality compared to the other varieties. Hopefully, the infusion of good characteristics from my Blacks will help in that department. Also, and I've made note of this in previous posts. The leg color on most of what I've seen in Self-Blue Cochins to date is incorrect. All varieties of Cochin Bantams call for Yellow, or swarthy yellow legs, and that is also the leg color I am breeding for in the Self-Blues, so as to remain consistent with the current Bantam Standard descriptions. I have culled most of the non-yellow legged birds in the f3 generation, but the best typed cockerel (previous post), has white feet. So, in using him for breeding crossed to a yellow legged female, I should see 50% yellow legged offspring. When you consider that only 25% of the f4 generation will be Self-Blue and then only half of the 25% of the chicks out of any breeding I use that male in will have yellow legs, it means a considerable amount of hatching, which I knew going into this would be required. 75% of what's hatched can be culled out of the incubator in the f4 generation because they'll be black.

If I am satisfied with the f4 progress I intend to show some Self-Blues at the Crossroads Show in Indianapolis next October. I won't know until next year if I'll have any to sell.

As far as qualifying meet requirements for the ABA. I will have to check to make sure, but I believe, for a new variety, that there must be a minimum of 25 Birds exhibited in all four classes, by 5 or more exhibitors. I believe the qualifying meet has to be at either the semi-annual or annual meet. A new breed would have those same requirements but at both the annual and semi-annual. I'll look tonight and confirm what I've said is true.

I didnt' mean the above to sound uppity or snobbish, I just want to share my intentions and get across that I won't let any of the Self-Blues go until I think they are ready. I am treating them like a fine wine.

Tom

Quote:
Good morning.
I do not have a waiting list, but it's important to note that I don't sell chicks or eggs. Adult birds only.

With a variety like this, it wouldn't be advisable to go with chicks or eggs anyway. How would you know what you are getting?

Something to keep in mind... It is my intent to work toward a qualifying meet for Self-Blue Cochin Bantams sometime in the future. That said, when I am satisfied that my Self-Blues are to a point in my breeding where I am comfortable letting some go, I'll be looking for breeders willing to continue breeding and improving the Self-Blues, and willing to attend and exhibit the required number of birds for such a qualifying meet. I am currently on the f3 generation, so the f4's will again be Self-Blue. If I am not satisfied with the f4 progress, I will then go back to Blacks for the f5 generation, meaning that f6 will again be Self-Blue. Certainly by f6, they should be fairly nice with consistent results. The f3's have much better feather quality than the f2 Self-blues, but what I've noted in the short time that I've been working with Self-Blue, is that they tend to have poor feather quality compared to the other varieties. Hopefully, the infusion of good characteristics from my Blacks will help in that department. Also, and I've made note of this in previous posts. The leg color on most of what I've seen in Self-Blue Cochins to date is incorrect. All varieties of Cochin Bantams call for Yellow, or swarthy yellow legs, and that is also the leg color I am breeding for in the Self-Blues, so as to remain consistent with the current Bantam Standard descriptions. I have culled most of the non-yellow legged birds in the f3 generation, but the best typed cockerel (previous post), has white feet. So, in using him for breeding crossed to a yellow legged female, I should see 50% yellow legged offspring. When you consider that only 25% of the f4 generation will be Self-Blue and then only half of the 25% of the chicks out of any breeding I use that male in will have yellow legs, it means a considerable amount of hatching, which I knew going into this would be required. 75% of what's hatched can be culled out of the incubator in the f4 generation because they'll be black.

If I am satisfied with the f4 progress I intend to show some Self-Blues at the Crossroads Show in Indianapolis next October. I won't know until next year if I'll have any to sell.

As far as qualifying meet requirements for the ABA. I will have to check to make sure, but I believe, for a new variety, that there must be a minimum of 25 Birds exhibited in all four classes, by 5 or more exhibitors. I believe the qualifying meet has to be at either the semi-annual or annual meet. A new breed would have those same requirements but at both the annual and semi-annual. I'll look tonight and confirm what I've said is true.

I didnt' mean the above to sound uppity or snobbish, I just want to share my intentions and get across that I won't let any of the Self-Blues go until I think they are ready. I am treating them like a fine wine.

Tom

Maybe I can save you a few minutes tonight, Tom - I think these admission requirements are still current:

AMERICAN BANTAM ASSOCIATION

REQUIREMENTS OF ADMISSION OF NEW BREEDS AND VARIETIES

The Standard Committee makes rules and sets fees.

All proposed changes in Bantam Standard are to be published in the Quarterly to all comment by members.

Qualifying meets for both new breeds and new varieties must be held at each of the shows hosting the ABA Annual or Semi-Annual Meets.

NEW BREED:

There must be a minimum of 25 birds in each variety to be qualified within the new breed, exhibited in 4 classes (cock,

hen, cockerel, pullet) by a minimum of 5 breeders.

NEW VARIETY:

There must be a minimum of 25 birds exhibited in 4 classes (cock, hen, cockerel, pullet) by a minimum of 5 breeders.

NO CHANGES are final until recommended by the Standard Committee and approved by a majority vote of the Board of Directors at an Annual or Semi-Annual Meeting.

AMERICAN POULTRY ASSOCIATON

ADMISSION OF NEW BREEDS AND VARIETIES

A petition for recognition of any breed or variety must be sent to the Secretary giving the history of it's origin, breeding background & facts of an educational nature.

Must include proposed name of breed or variety with the standard for shape, color and weight. Applications to both associations (ABA & APA) must be of the same description, etc.

Affidavits need be included from not less than five breeders that they have bred the breed or variety for not less than five years and it produces not less than 50% of all specimens reasonably true to type, color, size & comb.

Breeds or Varieties need to have been exhibited for two years prior at a show officiated by a licensed APA judge. The secretary will contact these judges for his or her confidential opinion of the quality and uniformity.

A $$ deposit of a sum sufficient to defray the actual cost of placing the text in the Standard shall be received with the petition to be returned if this case is rejected.

The petition will then be referred to the Standard committee who shall name a qualifying meet at a prominent show to be judged by a licensed APA judge.

This meet shall consist of not less than fifty (50) specimens exhibited by five (5) exhibitors in all classes of cock, hen, cockerel, pullet.

When satisfied the committee shall then recommend it's acceptance by the Board of Directors, upon which it becomes a recognized breed or variety.

So if I'm reading The APA standard correctly, it's not just about numbers and consistency of type, but also a 5 year commitment by at least 5 breeders. I would think maybe a few well placed f4s to bantam breeders with quality black bantams would get the process rolling timewise. Otherwise, people could reinvent the wheel if they have quality blacks and repeat what cochinman has been doing the past several years by obtaining some of the less than ideal Self-blues that are floating around.

One question. Will there have to be two separate qualifing meets, one for APA and also for ABA ?

Ok second question. When they want 25/50 birds, is that in each of the 4 divisions (pullet/cockerel/hen/cock), or all together?

Back
Top Bottom