Self-Blue Cochin Bantams

Pics
Quote:
Yes, the biggest problem that I've noticed with my porcelain d'uccles is in the roosters. The feathers on their shoulders are constantly breaking. When I first got my first porcelain roo, I just assumed it was due to being bullied by other roosters. I've had him almost a year and he still has it.
hmm.png

Other than the shoulders on the porcelains, I haven't noticed any problems. The hens don't seem to have the same problem, only the roosters.

I don't think it can be assumed that the lav gene and poor feather quality gene are two separate genes. To draw a comparison from another species, there is a dilution gene in dobermans that dilutes a black to a blue, and a red to a fawn/isabella. These diluted colored dogs have poor hair coat, the hair is sparse and brittle. Other skin problems are also more common in these animals. In nature, these abberant colors are selected against. I think my point here is a single gene can affect a multitude of organ systems, so both color and quality of the feather may be affected and go hand in hand by a single gene.

Quote:
Amy, thank SO much for your insights. I would like to contact Mark Peterson about some stock. I just found out that I have been offered a farm to rent in Braham ( about 10 miles north of Cambridge), so having room for more birds is not going to be a problem. Being a "Newbie" to showing and breeding, I will just hope he will be willing sell me some good birds and hopefully mentor me along a little.

I already consider you to be a valuable mentor and a new friend. I was amazed at Hutch how you were pointing out all the good and bad points of the birds, including your own, and weren't afraid to show us the faults even in your own birds. That kind of honesty is rare.

Barb...you should have a message. It would be worth the wait if you first got stock from him this spring.

roll.png
I tend to pick apart my own birds worse than any one elses when it comes to judging. I've had my hands and eyes on them for 8-10 months already. A judge only has a few minutes to form an opinion.
wink.png
Just firing up the incubator right now and hopefully some of the prospects for next fall are in there.

Hey Amy
I hope you don't think what happened at Hutchinson is special because it's not. I have been going to shows for 40 years and that just seems to be part of it. It's really gotten sort of comical around here that the judges pick the wrong birds quite often. If you have birds that are very close it can be a tough choice for a judge and I understand that. I once asked a judge how he made his choice between these two birds and his answer was"They are both good but I had to pick one of them." But when you have nice birds and birds with issues it should be an easy choice but evidently its not.
Good Luck
Danny
Quote:

Hi All, I posted this question on the "Lavender Cochin" Thread and found out about this one. I just hatched 9 "Lavender Bantam Cochin" or "Self Blue (Lav)" eggs and am wondering about the color that the chicks are suppose to be. I have 1 that looks to be darker than the rest and probably a "blue", and then there is one extremely light and I am wondering can it be a "white"? I have heard of white cochins having some silver on their back while being mostly yellow. Can eggs sold as "Lavender" yield Lavender babies and other colors too if the Roo was a different color. I saw pictures of the lavender hens from the person I bought the eggs from, but am not sure about the roo....forgot to ask in excitement about getting these eggs.

Below are pictures of the chicks. All but the 2 mentioned above have a pale silvery tone and pale yellow bellies. Are they all Self Blues/ Lavenders?? I have never hatched this color before and want to know what to look for. I have never seen their color before and they are beautiful IMHO.
Thanks for all feedback!

66404_pb047616.jpg

66404_pb047617.jpg

66404_pb047618.jpg

66404_pb047619.jpg

66404_pb047620.jpg

66404_pb047621.jpg

66404_pb047622.jpg

Back
Top Bottom