Self-Blue Cochin Bantams

Pics
My Self-blue project is far behind Tom's. I started with 3 hens that hardly look like cochins but my roo improved the type in the F1s quite a bit. I only got one pullet in last summer's hatching but she is laying 6 out 7 days a week and fertility is high. I already have 5 Self-blues this Spring and there is alot less black in their feet. Here are some pics.

I am curious about the black chicks from the F1s, meaning the F2 blacks - They are technically 1/2 Self-blue? What would the color of their chicks be if bred to each other or bred to pure blacks?

Last edited:
I am curious about the black chicks from the F1s, meaning the F2 blacks - They are technically 1/2 Self-blue? What would the color of their chicks be if bred to each other or bred to pure blacks?

first cross Self Blue x Black or Black X Self Blue produces f1 Self Blues split to Black. All chicks are Black. They are, as you noted 50% Self Blue, but you won't get any Self Blues in the f1 generation. Breeding the f1's together will yield 25% Self Blue, 25% Black, and 50% Self Blue split to Black (Black chicks/adults). Since there is no way to tell the pure blacks from split, I consider the 75% Black chicks as culls assuming the goal to be improving the type on the Self Blues. You can breed a Self-Blue to a split and get 50% Self-Blues to up your numbers but if you are using a previous generation Self-Blue you aren't really improving the type with that cross. Anytime you breed to pure blacks, no matter if it's a split x Black or a Self Blue x Black you'll get all Black offspring.

first cross Self Blue x Black or Black X Self Blue produces f1 Self Blues split to Black. All chicks are Black. They are, as you noted 50% Self Blue, but you won't get any Self Blues in the f1 generation. Breeding the f1's together will yield 25% Self Blue, 25% Black, and 50% Self Blue split to Black (Black chicks/adults). Since there is no way to tell the pure blacks from split, I consider the 75% Black chicks as culls assuming the goal to be improving the type on the Self Blues. You can breed a Self-Blue to a split and get 50% Self-Blues to up your numbers but if you are using a previous generation Self-Blue you aren't really improving the type with that cross. Anytime you breed to pure blacks, no matter if it's a split x Black or a Self Blue x Black you'll get all Black offspring.

Thank you, I am culling/giving away all the Black colored chicks from my F1 hatches. I was just curious as to what to tell the folks who get them. As you suggested, I am not using my previous generation Self-Blues even though all the odd numbered generations are all Black.

I am so enjoying the process. This is a much better way to practice patience than my Middle School teaching job!

Last edited:
Someone linked this thread for me, and it's been an interesting read. 8)

I have a trio of nice black splits that have just started laying but are in a mixed flock at the moment until I finish another pen... not enough hours in a day. I'm looking to add some more, even possibly a self blue if i can find one, but having had less than good quality birds, this time i'm being picky.

my mentor once told me "it costs less to raise the best." It took me a while to figure out for myself, but it's true. you start with good quality stock, you spend less time/effort/feed/etc in producing more quality stock.

I wish everyone had your Mentor!
Someone linked this thread for me, and it's been an interesting read. 8)

I have a trio of nice black splits that have just started laying but are in a mixed flock at the moment until I finish another pen... not enough hours in a day. I'm looking to add some more, even possibly a self blue if i can find one, but having had less than good quality birds, this time i'm being picky.

my mentor once told me "it costs less to raise the best." It took me a while to figure out for myself, but it's true. you start with good quality stock, you spend less time/effort/feed/etc in producing more quality stock.

AWESOME! love it. I have been admiring from afar too, FINALLY the ones I am admiring are being sold out, so I'm getting a trio this weekend! YAY!

AWESOME! love it. I have been admiring from afar too, FINALLY the ones I am admiring are being sold out, so I'm getting a trio this weekend! YAY!
congrats! i just picked up my first self blue hen to go with my splits last weekend! can't wait to put her in the pen, but we'll see what we get with my first attempt at AI. LOL i couldn't wait.

Back
Top Bottom