Self-Blue Cochin Bantams

Pics
This is the answer I found on side sprigs:
A study published in 1926 on the inheritence of side sprigs, found that they were not a result from a mutation or single dominant gene, but that two autosomal complimentary dominant genes were producing the effect. So two totally different breeding groups could carry one copy each with no problems at all.But an attempt at bringing in new blood with the other complimentary gene, causes high percentages (not all) of side sprigs.
So it would be selection of a mate with out the complimentary gene for sprig free offspring.
Found this on another forum thread, hope its ok:)
sorry, just hearing dominant wasnt making any sense to me. It wasnt gelling in my head. Thinking it had to be more to it. Now I dont know if the above study has been since disproven. But it kinda makes sense to me. Kinda a sleeping dominance? And needing a partner.

Last edited:
Side sprigs are the result of 2 dominant factors, both of which must be present for the sprigs to occur. So even though dominant, you may see some offspring without sprigs, as they may carry only one of the dominant gene traits. One of the more complicated genetic patterns.

the first of many i hope.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom