Self Blue/Lavender Marans

Mmmcmi9283

In the Brooder
Jan 27, 2023
Hello everyone!
I just hatched some BBS copper marans and one of the chicks is a lot lighter than the other blues. Could it be a self blue? Can self blues come from BBS? I got the eggs from a breeder so I don’t know the parent stock well.

Attachments

• 90896248-734D-4552-AAE4-DFE953E05510.jpeg
    90896248-734D-4552-AAE4-DFE953E05510.jpeg
    555.3 KB · Views: 23
Hello everyone!
I just hatched some BBS copper marans and one of the chicks is a lot lighter than the other blues. Could it be a self blue? Can self blues come from BBS? I got the eggs from a breeder so I don’t know the parent stock well.
What color egg did it hatch from? What other breeds does the breeder have?

A self blue wouldn't come from a BBS line unless the line had the lavender gene brought in at some point. Blue is a totally different gene then lavender.
Lavender is recessive so it could be in a BBS line and be hidden but probably not the case here. Self blue Marans are still a little hard to come by and most breeders never cross the self blues with blues.
I'm guessing your chick is splash. Is there a reason you don't suspect that?

A self blue wouldn't come from a BBS line unless the line had the lavender gene brought in at some point. Blue is a totally different gene then lavender.
Lavender is recessive so it could be in a BBS line and be hidden but probably not the case here. Self blue Marans are still a little hard to come by and most breeders never cross the self blues with blues.
I'm guessing your chick is splash. Is there a reason you don't suspect that?
I don’t suspect slash because it isn’t yellow, it’s a light silver color. Although I am still very new to the BBS chicks. I don’t know what color variety blues can be for chicks. It stood out to me cause all the other blues I have are much darker. I will take better pictures tonight.

Back
Top Bottom