Self harming bird, do I get rid of my rooster?

Celeste Cannon

Songster
5 Years
Jan 15, 2018
Los Angeles, California
I currently have 4 quail. 1 male 3 females.

Background:
I got this Coturnix quail hen when she was around three weeks old with her sister. I got them because my rooster had no flock mates left after his last girlfriend died (out of the 3, I sound like a bad quail owner I promise I’m not). The two 3 week old girls got along great, but once I introduced them to the male, one of the girls loved him and the other (marge) is absolutely terrified of him. I thought I would solve this problem by giving the rooster more girls so he wouldn’t have to get anywhere near her, but she still freaks out even if he’s a foot away from her. And when I hatched 2 more hens one was snatched by a hawk. I’ve got some great luck huh.

Issue: Marge's stress levels are very dangerous. She’s a very big and clunky girl, making her clumsy. I think her wing jabs into her body and causes the wing to bleed. Then it never heals because she keeps stressing out and scraping off the scab again. This morning she was dripping blood, and it’s breaking my heart, I never knew it was this bad. Now I’m wondering if I should just get rid of the rooster, I only have three females for him and I don’t plan on getting more. Do you guys think this is the best decision? It’s hard for me since he is the first quail I hatched, and I’m very attached to him. Hopefully I have a friend that could take him.

What I'm doing now: I have sectioned her off from the others, she’s currently in my room in a 60 gallon tank with food, water, bedding, and bug treats. I washed off most of the blood and cut back her bloody feathers so they wouldn’t dry and get crusty. I also sprayed the wound with vetericyn. I’m not gonna give her a dust bathing station because she still has an open wound and I don’t want it getting dirty. I’m going to wait till the cut has healed up, then I might bring her a dust bath and her bestie for some company.

I currently have 4 quail. 1 male 3 females.

Background:
I got this Coturnix quail hen when she was around three weeks old with her sister. I got them because my rooster had no flock mates left after his last girlfriend died (out of the 3, I sound like a bad quail owner I promise I’m not). The two 3 week old girls got along great, but once I introduced them to the male, one of the girls loved him and the other (marge) is absolutely terrified of him. I thought I would solve this problem by giving the rooster more girls so he wouldn’t have to get anywhere near her, but she still freaks out even if he’s a foot away from her. And when I hatched 2 more hens one was snatched by a hawk. I’ve got some great luck huh.

Issue: Marge's stress levels are very dangerous. She’s a very big and clunky girl, making her clumsy. I think her wing jabs into her body and causes the wing to bleed. Then it never heals because she keeps stressing out and scraping off the scab again. This morning she was dripping blood, and it’s breaking my heart, I never knew it was this bad. Now I’m wondering if I should just get rid of the rooster, I only have three females for him and I don’t plan on getting more. Do you guys think this is the best decision? It’s hard for me since he is the first quail I hatched, and I’m very attached to him. Hopefully I have a friend that could take him.

What I'm doing now: I have sectioned her off from the others, she’s currently in my room in a 60 gallon tank with food, water, bedding, and bug treats. I washed off most of the blood and cut back her bloody feathers so they wouldn’t dry and get crusty. I also sprayed the wound with vetericyn. I’m not gonna give her a dust bathing station because she still has an open wound and I don’t want it getting dirty. I’m going to wait till the cut has healed up, then I might bring her a dust bath and her bestie for some company.
I don’t think hitting her wing on her body would cause injuries like that. She could be freaking out and banging against the top of the cage, or slamming into objects or the cage sides. Someone else could be grabbing her, perhaps the male and is pulling out blood feathers in attempts to mate.

I have a handicapped hen who is fat and unsteady and falls often. Her feathers are often dirty from falling in poo etc, but she’s never injured herself from rubbing her wings or anything else on another part of her body.

IMO the male is not the one acting oddly, it’s the hen. If it were me I would cull that hen and keep the healthy normal birds. Also if rehoming is what you’re looking to do, it’s far easier to rehome a hen than a roo. Even if someone is willing to take him, what if their Roos dont like him, what if their hens don’t like him?

I don’t think hitting her wing on her body would cause injuries like that. She could be freaking out and banging against the top of the cage, or slamming into objects or the cage sides. Someone else could be grabbing her, perhaps the male and is pulling out blood feathers in attempts to mate.

I have a handicapped hen who is fat and unsteady and falls often. Her feathers are often dirty from falling in poo etc, but she’s never injured herself from rubbing her wings or anything else on another part of her body.

IMO the male is not the one acting oddly, it’s the hen. If it were me I would cull that hen and keep the healthy normal birds. Also if rehoming is what you’re looking to do, it’s far easier to rehome a hen than a roo. Even if someone is willing to take him, what if their Roos dont like him, what if their hens don’t like him?

My partner might be able to take him. He would live alone. I just worry that leaving my rooster only 2 hens will end up stressing those 2 out. I couldn't cull her, she's my pet and I also want to keep as many girls as possible. I don't want to hatch more because I'm going to college and can't take them with me, meaning my mom keeps them. And she doesn't want more responsibility. Gah I feel so bad that this isn't working out. They have such a big home too I'm surprised any of this is happening.

I have one that needs a padded top so she can't crack her skull open again. Maybe she would be happier alone? I know quail are social, but I have a few that really seemed to be better alone or in a single cage where they could still hear and see

I know her friend would miss her and vice versa. I also wouldn't want to leave my 2 hens alone with the male, they'd def be over mated.

They're all individual. Sometimes they need to be separated based on personality. Two of my favorites don't get along. He thinks she's a total hottie and was practically attached to her back. She finally had enough and nearly killed herself trying to escape.

She is fine in a cage with other quail, including two males. As far as overbreeding, I find that the birds play favorites. That overzealous roo had 3 hens but only wanted two of them. Right now, he's locked up with the one he's not interested in because I'm tired of drama.

If it were me and I wanted to keep all of them, I'd try pairing the male with his favorite and give the other hen to Marge as her girlfriend.

Last edited:
They're all individual. Sometimes they need to be separated based on personality. Two of my favorites don't get along. He thinks she's a total hottie and was practically attached to her back. She finally had enough and nearly killed herself trying to escape.

She is fine in a cage with other quail, including two males. As far as overbreeding, I find that the birds play favorites. That overzealous roo had 3 hens but only wanted two of them. Right now, he's locked up with the one he's not interested in because I'm tired of drama.

If it were me and I wanted to keep all of them, I'd try pairing the male with his favorite and give the other hen to Marge as her girlfriend.

His favorite is Marges favorite XD its a love triangle over here. I'll see if he likes the other girl though, more like if she can stand him.

Back
Top Bottom