Self-inflicted Silkie Injury

AbbysSilkies

Chirping
Jul 31, 2017
IMG_6040.JPG
IMG_6047.JPG
Hi!
Two days ago there was a big storm here and my chickens were all spooked! The worst two sufferers were my silkie chicks. One of them got herself stuck between two layers of the coop wall (unharmed) and the other one tried to escape and sliced off the back of her neck!! I patted her with a damp paper towel and I'm certain there was no blood, though the skin is a bit orangier than the skin on her body, and the fur on it has been peeled off. She's been acting normal, just a bit reluctant to come eat mealworms with her siblings,though she's eating plenty of the chick starter. Also we got chicken-friendly antibiotics. Are there any other things I should be concerned about? Treatments?

Attachments

• IMG_6050.JPG
    IMG_6050.JPG
    784.2 KB · Views: 3
I would rinse it off with warm water and apply some Neopsorin or Veteriycn Vet spray.Apply daily.If you notice any pecking behaviors between the three it would be wise to separate her until it heals.Blu-Kote will help prevent the other chickens from pecking at it.What Antibiotics are you giving her?

I would rinse it off with warm water and apply some Neopsorin or Veteriycn Vet spray.Apply daily.If you notice any pecking behaviors between the three it would be wise to separate her until it heals.Blu-Kote will help prevent the other chickens from pecking at it.What Antibiotics are you giving her?
Hi! I've been putting the Publix antibiotic ointment with polymyxin b sulfate, Bactrian zinc and neomycin sulfate!

What made you get those certain antibotics?.Are you sure there safe to use on chickens?I've heard of them being used on dogs but not chickens.

What made you get those certain antibotics?.Are you sure there safe to use on chickens?I've heard of them being used on dogs but not chickens.
My dad bought them while I was at school, he researched which ingredients to avoid and made sure it doesn't have any of the bad ones!

Back
Top Bottom