Self Sufficient Breeding vs. Dual Purpose Breeding

This is a topic I'm interested in and know a little about.
However, if you make any reference to anything even remotely religious I'll be gone from this thread and you'll be on ignore.

Yes there is a marked distinction between chickens able to survive on forage alone and fed chickens.
The correct term for chickens that inhabit an area of land of their own free will is feral.
Game chickens is probably not the way forward and depending on where you live the breeds that fare well as feral chickens may not be available to you.

The most imprtant consideration is the environment. To make an obvious point, if you try to develope a feral population in regions where the temperature rarely gets above 20C you're going to fail and kill a lot of chickens in the process.

In Southern Europe, Asia, China and places in North Africa feral chicken populations are not uncommon.

One of the most important qualities for developing such a breed is their ability to reproduce.

One way to encourage reproduction from the standard Dual Purpose chicken is to cross it with a hardy Bantam breed.
First Off, No One dictates to me about my faith in Christ, or speaking of it? NO ONE!!!
It's not that I'm Trying to do it with game chickens. I grew up doing it with game chickens and still am doing it with game chickens.
The only thing I'm experimenting with is crossing them with a few different dual purpose breeds to add a little bit more size. I'm looking at breeding till I'm around 3/4 to 7/8 game, and see if that add some size, while maintaining self sufficiency.

Even remotely religous..

@Christiancowboy See, what I mean? Your existence offends them. They have their knives out.

The man referenced the number one selling book on earth. He wasn't trying to get anyone baptized.
It's a total shame how our country was founded in The Lord, and faith in Christ was the Majority. Sadly.... now they curse him, and try to control us and turn us against him and our faith.... what a shame...

Following. Wouldn't want to miss this.

Predators can prevent a feral flock from becoming established. Nesting on the ground makes them vulnerable.

Our local feral flocks have a lot of gamefowl blood. There may, or may not, be links directly back to polynesian RJF as well. There is also more recent introgression of production breeds.
I've had have hundreds of hens hatch out eggs nesting on the ground. Most find places that are very hidden. Plus, a sitting hen is totally still and quiet.

No one is trying to turn anyone. It's just that not everyone wants certain viewpoints shoved down their throats on a chicken forum. Plus religion has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not chickens can survive with commercial feed being withheld from them
Nobody is shoving anything down anybody throats.

Back
Top Bottom