Selling Duck Eggs

sirrobyn0

Songster
8 Years
Feb 1, 2015
Pacific Northwest
So I've got a flock of 300's and they are definitely good layers. I've had chickens for years and sold the excess eggs, either to existing folks that know me or sometimes though a craigslist ad, back in the beginning. I've never had an issue selling the chicken eggs, in fact I had to raise my chicken egg price to $5.00 a dozen last year and I still had more customers than eggs.

Now I've had the ducks for a while they are really producing 7 to 8 eggs a day which is more than I can eat for sure even though I love their eggs. The problem is that I haven't been able to find anyone interested in buying duck eggs and I'm not sure why. Do you all think that Duck eggs are less popular than chicken eggs? I've got an ad on craigslist currently asking $8.00 a dozen, two local store chains, PCC and Whole foods carries duck eggs for $10 dozen so I thought $8 would be a fair price. So I guess what I'm asking especially for those that have sold both chicken and duck eggs, are the duck eggs less popular, and do you think $8 is asking to much?

Thanks for your thoughts on this one,
Rob

Duck eggs bring a higher price in this area then chicken eggs. most people buying them are using them for use in baking not as eating eggs. most places chicken eggs bring $3/doz and ducks $5/dz higher in places where less people have a 'fresh' supply.

Try approaching bakers in your area or confectioner/baker farm stands in your area. If you have any Asian food markets, restaurants, or local Asian newspapers you may find some very interested buyers. Duck eggs are preferred by some Asian cultures for their native dishes.

Ducks eggs make terrific pasta and are terrific in baked goods and custardy desserts like creme brulee.

I cook all sorts of things with them from breakfast to meals to desserts. I even found a good way to fry them so the eggs aren't rubbery.

Typical prices in my area start around $1 per egg.

I don't sell my eggs because our state has some pretty strict requirements.

Wow, a dollar an egg, I'm well under that. The nearest person on Craigslist selling duck eggs is 50 miles from me so I thought at $8 a dozen they would disappear quickly as my chicken eggs do at $5 a dozen. I hadn't considered approaching businesses, which might be something that I might do. I appreciate the information so far, thanks.

I think it really depends on where you are located, and who you are selling to. Duck eggs are definitely less popular than Chicken, in most western cultures. In fact I regularly have people ask me if you even can eat Duck eggs!

That said, in current "Foodie" culture Duck eggs are viewed as a rarity, more of an artisanal item. And because Duck eggs have not been mass produced over the years; they can be viewed as healthier than your average chicken egg. I've also known serious bakers to flip over duck eggs. This is what's driving the price in places like whole foods.

I personally am a Duck egg aficionado! Duck eggs are larger, richer, creamier, sometimes "gamier" and generally taste more like real eggs than any chicken egg I've ever had. They are much easier to crack and handle while raw. I believe there is also a larger yoke:white ratio in duck eggs and they do make fantastic baked goods (though recipes may need to be adjusted due to size). The trickiest thing to do with a Duck egg is boil and peel it cleanly, it's best to use older eggs for this.

My suggestion would be to start out by educating your customers. Give them tips and observances like the ones above and maybe offer a mixed dozen or a free duck egg or two on the side to start? I do think it's fair to charge more for the Duck eggs due to size and the simple fact that ducks produce less eggs than chickens, $8 sounds about right to me.

Thanks Kary408, I have just started giving 2 free duck eggs with each dozen of chicken eggs bought. I'll start offering mixed cartons to that's a good idea. I'm like you I prefer the duck egg, I think it's tastier and easier to handle. I'm thinking you might be right, people might not be into them because they just don't know much about them. Thanks

I have several different Chinese customers who love my eggs and snatch them up as fast as my girls can lay them. Apparently fresh duck eggs are impossible to find in Stockholm, and they are an important ingredient in Chinese recipes. I've only just started selling eggs this year (my girls started laying in January), but I think I've already cornered the market. ;)

So yes, I agree with maybe checking out the Asian markets? Duck eggs are very different in taste/texture to chicken eggs, which is why there is a more specialized market for them.

Back
Top Bottom