Selling meat birds to wholesale buyers?

CornerViewFarm

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
Ohio
Hey everyone I have raised chickens for years but never meat birds. My question is I am in Northwestern Ohio is there any butchers or meat bird buyers that will buy your birds at a wholesale price rather then having to sell yourself? If I would have to sell myself do many people actually buy off craigslist and word of mouth?

I'm on Face Book and joined a local page, for me, that is an online yard sale. I just sold 6 of my 2 month old pullets through that face book page. Maybe there is something similar in your area. I sold them for $12 each, not sure if it was a good price or not. But it gave me some mad money.

If you are on Face Book, look for local farm, garden, swap, resale, and yard sale pages in your area.
Good luck.

pop.gif
x2

offgridhermit Were those just pullets or CX? That's about what regular pullets bring her in La.

Last edited:
Hey everyone I have raised chickens for years but never meat birds. My question is I am in Northwestern Ohio is there any butchers or meat bird buyers that will buy your birds at a wholesale price rather then having to sell yourself? If I would have to sell myself do many people actually buy off craigslist and word of mouth?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no. You will not realize anything at a wholesale price. There is not much profit involved anyway. And if you sell them after you process you can get a little profit. Chicken is just too cheap in the grocery stores. Good luck
smile.png
Research different meat threads on CX and see what's out there

Last edited:
I'm on Face Book and joined a local page, for me, that is an online yard sale. I just sold 6 of my 2 month old pullets through that face book page. Maybe there is something similar in your area. I sold them for $12 each, not sure if it was a good price or not. But it gave me some mad money.

If you are on Face Book, look for local farm, garden, swap, resale, and yard sale pages in your area.
Good luck.
Yes I have done that and craigslist with layers and pullets. Maybe I need to raise my prices if you are selling pullets for $12 each lol! I sell my layers for $12 and my pullets for $8. I'm going to make a post and see how many people would be interested first because I don't have room for 100 meat birds in the freezer
lol.png

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no. You will not realize anything at a wholesale price. There is not much profit involved anyway. And if you sell them after you process you can get a little profit. Chicken is just too cheap in the grocery stores. Good luck
smile.png
Research different meat threads on CX and see what's out there
I have heard there are some amish 30 minutes from me that will buy but I haven't had a free day to drive around amish country and ask in weeks! I think I might be able to turn a decent profit I get my feed for less then $0.12 a pound can't tell anyone how though
wink.png
. Still going to do some more research first and see what I can find out! Thank you and everyone else for the posts back!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom