Selling my seramas

$200 dollars for a ”decent” pair?? Thats pretty bonkers.

I have seen $100 for a amazing, stunning, show quality pair.

Just my opinion, could be wrong. Maybe it just looked that way to me.
You read that right. For my original breeding stock or new lines I’ve personally paid up to $500 for a single roo. Plus shipping. $400 is the most ive ever gotten for a show bird. I had a friend just pay $700 for ONE hen. And if we’re talking a double duty show bird, that is an ABA recognized variety and a fierce table top contender- it can be higher I would imagine. That is, IF you can find one that someone is willing to sell.
Please don’t take this as cocky or arrogant, I say this with sincerity and as a question based on the way you’re shocked at that price- do you show? If so, tabletop or in cage? Among the show circles, at least in the Midwest and the south, that wouldn’t surprise anyone. That’s what we expect to pay for a quality bird. This doesn’t always ring true but usually you get what you pay for.
If you know of someone that has stunning show quality pairs for $100 I would love to check them out- really! :) if they’re a key player in the Serama circles (if they have nice birds like that the odds are good they’re part of that crowd) I’m sure I know them or at least have heard of them.
So bonkers to pay that much for a chicken? Perhaps. But it happens every day. I have two people coming out today to pick up birds that are in that price range. I have a wait list for the real nice growouts.

You read that right. For my original breeding stock or new lines I’ve personally paid up to $500 for a single roo. Plus shipping. $400 is the most ive ever gotten for a show bird. I had a friend just pay $700 for ONE hen. And if we’re talking a double duty show bird, that is an ABA recognized variety and a fierce table top contender- it can be higher I would imagine. That is, IF you can find one that someone is willing to sell.
Please don’t take this as cocky or arrogant, I say this with sincerity and as a question based on the way you’re shocked at that price- do you show? If so, tabletop or in cage? Among the show circles, at least in the Midwest and the south, that wouldn’t surprise anyone. That’s what we expect to pay for a quality bird. This doesn’t always ring true but usually you get what you pay for.
If you know of someone that has stunning show quality pairs for $100 I would love to check them out- really! :) if they’re a key player in the Serama circles (if they have nice birds like that the odds are good they’re part of that crowd) I’m sure I know them or at least have heard of them.
So bonkers to pay that much for a chicken? Perhaps. But it happens every day. I have two people coming out today to pick up birds that are in that price range. I have a wait list for the real nice growouts.
Wow.

I have went to tabletop, and had planned to For a while, but i would rather not put my bird through the stress. Im sure it really isn’t that bad, just isn’t for me,

Wow.

I have went to tabletop, and had planned to For a while, but i would rather not put my bird through the stress. Im sure it really isn’t that bad, just isn’t for me,
Funny. I just commented on your post about wry tail as it relates to shows. One thing is for sure, you’re right it is very stressful on them and I worry every single time I go. But I specifically have show birds so I obviously take that risk and every possible precaution :) but it is great fun! Honestly my Seramas seem to handle the showing much better than my Cemani it seems to really be hard on them. So I haven’t shown Cemani in quite some time because it just doesn’t go that good once we get home they just don’t handle that stress so well.

I sell my Serama from $40 as a base line for pet quality amd it goes up from there with the average price of $100 per bird for established breeder birds (so $200 for a decent pair. I raise exhibition serama so about10- 20% of them are show prospects and they usually go for $150 all the way up to $250 and the established show champion averages around $300. Now those prices are geared towards the demographic that shows so they are willing to pay more for a nicer bird compared to those who want them for pets. I am also the president and founder of The Serama Club of Wisconsin so I have access to a specific genre.
I do see at swaps them being sold for $20 but it looks like your birds are pretty nice or at least seem to have potential. Like one other commenter sad, I would not go a dollar below $20 even for pets. If you were closer I would take a closer look at that black and white mottled pullet with the leakage in her cape. Looks like a nice bird. So does the chocolate. But I’d like to see videos. Consider joining the Facebook pages for the Serama council of North America (SCNA) and ask for permission to join the available birds groups. I know you have to be very careful on the wording (must use “up for discussion” or “ready to fly”) but I know they have members in just about every state. And one things for sure. Serama people are willing to drive for what they want. Most of us travel across the country for a $5 ribbon so you have that playing in your favor. Plus I believe the nationals are going to be out be you I’d look into that and consider taking them there if close enough. But I would up the prices if you do that. For the nicer ones anyway. SCNA also has a free classified section for members. Not sure if you’re a member of not but something else to consider too. Maybe it’s worth you getting certified as NPIP for $40 as an exhibition flock, Plus the cost of the blood testing which is very very inexpensive,to open up your market to the rest of the country.

Who were your lines originally from? That matters a lot to my crowd.
That's crazy but I get it. Most people I know, including myself, like having them for fun/pets.

Funny. I just commented on your post about wry tail as it relates to shows. One thing is for sure, you’re right it is very stressful on them and I worry every single time I go. But I specifically have show birds so I obviously take that risk and every possible precaution :) but it is great fun! Honestly my Seramas seem to handle the showing much better than my Cemani it seems to really be hard on them. So I haven’t shown Cemani in quite some time because it just doesn’t go that good once we get home they just don’t handle that stress so well.
Also, my chickens arent really suited to be shown anyway. When you prepare to show, I think (could be wrong) you don’t mix them in like every other chicken. You have your own “flock” of show birds? Because of avian especially, you have to quarantine them afterwards, so i find it could be hard to mix them back to a normal flock afterwards.

I tried to show Em once, but she flapped, screamed, and ignored me for 3 days straight. She just didn’t have a nice temperament for it.

Also, my chickens arent really suited to be shown anyway. When you prepare to show, I think (could be wrong) you don’t mix them in like every other chicken. You have your own “flock” of show birds? Because of avian especially, you have to quarantine them afterwards, so i find it could be hard to mix them back to a normal flock afterwards.

I tried to show Em once, but she flapped, screamed, and ignored me for 3 days straight. She just didn’t have a nice temperament for it.
Awe. Bummer. Yes quarantine after shows for sure. And show birds should live completely separate without access to any other birds- in the same habitat anyway- for at LEAST three months prior to the show, and that is for protecting their plumage and conditioning them. it’s a lot of work and it’s very costly to to condition birds right for show -from the way you feed them to the products you use. To do it right anyway. All for a ten dollar trophy! So you must love it. :) if Your hen flApped and carried on it sounds like you might have a good bird for table top :)

Awe. Bummer. Yes quarantine after shows for sure. And show birds should live completely separate without access to any other birds- in the same habitat anyway- for at LEAST three months prior to the show, and that is for protecting their plumage and conditioning them. it’s a lot of work and it’s very costly to to condition birds right for show -from the way you feed them to the products you use. To do it right anyway. All for a ten dollar trophy! So you must love it. :) if Your hen flApped and carried on it sounds like you might have a good bird for table top :)
Wow! Thats a lot of work.

Yes, i think she would be nice for it! I just worry about the quarantine after (for table top) is all.

That's crazy but I get it. Most people I know, including myself, like having them for fun/pets.
I totally agree. It’s crazy. You have to be a Serama nut. Which I proudly am :) it’s like any other animal for exhibition. And pet homes are very very important to us you produce a lot more high-quality quality and if not for the good and loving back homes we would be in big trouble and I could never kill mine just because of cosmetic flaws so breeders treasure pet homes. The ones that care anyway :) and honestly I have let some of my birds go to pet homes- especially with children of an age that’s responsible- for free. Hell, I have given lots of pet and show quality birds away to kiddos. Especially those interested in show. They’re the future of the fancy. And most people and parents that aren’t part of that circle hold their breathe when they hear the price. So I will always do that with youngsters. So I don’t always get that kind of money. Of course, I can’t have it cost me a ton so I try to have it pay for itself by selling birds and eggs (meaning care and show and travel. I travel all over the USA). Anyway, what’s paramount to me is the people who they go to. I care about all of them. So it depends on the situation. And again, without pet homes, we couldn’t do what we do. What would we do with all those extra babies?! .

Wow! Thats a lot of work.

Yes, i think she would be nice for it! I just worry about the quarantine after (for table top) is all.
Do you have a guinea pig cage? The 50” size? That’s what I use. It’s easy to move outside and bring in at night and stuff. You should IM me a photo of your hen!

I totally agree. It’s crazy. You have to be a Serama nut. Which I proudly am :) it’s like any other animal for exhibition. And pet homes are very very important to us you produce a lot more high-quality quality and if not for the good and loving back homes we would be in big trouble and I could never kill mine just because of cosmetic flaws so breeders treasure pet homes. The ones that care anyway :) and honestly I have let some of my birds go to pet homes- especially with children of an age that’s responsible- for free. Hell, I have given lots of pet and show quality birds away to kiddos. Especially those interested in show. They’re the future of the fancy. And most people and parents that aren’t part of that circle hold their breathe when they hear the price. So I will always do that with youngsters. So I don’t always get that kind of money. Of course, I can’t have it cost me a ton so I try to have it pay for itself by selling birds and eggs (meaning care and show and travel. I travel all over the USA). Anyway, what’s paramount to me is the people who they go to. I care about all of them. So it depends on the situation. And again, without pet homes, we couldn’t do what we do. What would we do with all those extra babies?! .
Im a serama nut! Just to broke to be that nuts or id be in debt.

Back
Top Bottom