Semi-Portable field fence?

fat brown hen

Songster
Jun 12, 2022
Trying to build a semi-portable 20'x20' run, ideally 6' tall, using wire and t-posts. By semi-portable, I mean I will pull the t-posts and move it once a year.

I currently have welded wire fence, and learned the hard way that the welds will break if you flex the fence a few times.

I know some people use chain link panels, but they are expensive. I'm thinking about woven field fence (eg https://redbrandstore.com/collections/field-fence).

Is woven field fence reasonably portable?

Any reason why you want 6’ tall? Coyotes can jump a 6’ fence so it isn’t any better than 4’ to keep them out. If 4’ is acceptable, then electric netting may be your best bet. It’s what we use and it is very portable.

Woven wire fencing is very sturdy (have it for my barn pasture) but those rolls are heavy. What about creating individual panels of a certain dimension using something as a frame (wood, electrical conduit, angle iron??) then attaching your fencing material (hardware cloth, field fence,etc.) to the frames. You'll want a top to the run, too, so might use a high quality poultry netting over the enclosure.

Any reason why you want 6’ tall? Coyotes can jump a 6’ fence so it isn’t any better than 4’ to keep them out. If 4’ is acceptable, then electric netting may be your best bet. It’s what we use and it is very portable.
This spot has a lot of vegetation that would short out electric netting.

I will buy fence that is 7' or 8' tall, if I can find it. Right now I have another pen that is 6' welded wire, and nothing has jumped over in the ~5 years that I've had it up. *knock on wood*

Woven wire fencing is very sturdy (have it for my barn pasture) but those rolls are heavy. What about creating individual panels of a certain dimension using something as a frame (wood, electrical conduit, angle iron??) then attaching your fencing material (hardware cloth, field fence,etc.) to the frames. You'll want a top to the run, too, so might use a high quality poultry netting over the enclosure.
Trying to think if I can get away with framing just 3 sides of a panel. I don't want anything solid on the top of the frame, because predators might try to use it as a pull-up bar to climb over.

Back
Top Bottom