September 2016 Hatch-A-Long

I love it when I get to see new breeds hatch! (At least new to me- La Bresse) I think I'm going to add another 4 to my already 4 developing eggs for a total of 8! Not positive because those shells are just too pigmented... But if there's a chance I'll leave them be :)

My lost eggs finally showed up on Friday- shipped the 13th!!! Probably a lost cause but 1 was definitely scrambled and 1 my preschooler cracked, so I set the other 2 in my Brinsea mini. They are EE. They are on day 2 so nothing to report yet!

Last edited:
@TurkenMomma that's great to hear they showed up! hoping for the best
smile.png

Hi, everyone -

I'm hopping on over here from the August hatch-a-long. I have 8/18 shipped speckled sussex eggs that look like they are coming along nice (2 of the other were clear and 8 more were quitters
sad.png
). They are due around September 10th. I also have some guinea eggs due at the same time that are being hatched by my Guinea hen in a nest she made in the landscaping outside my living room window - ideal for me since I can keep an eye on her and predator attacks are unlikely there. She had 49 but I've managed to quickly candle about half and toss 13. 19 are in my incubator until I can pull the rest from the nest to candle and toss any more bad ones, then put them all back. I think someone kept laying in there after I counted and marked them because she still has about a dozen in the nest and well, that doesn't add up! lol

These will be my last hatches for the year and then I have to start downsizing the flock (hopefully hawks and foxes don't do it for me).

That Incuview is an impressive looking incubator. How many chicks did you get?

I started with 22 in the incubator, 11 turned out to be clears and 1 was an early quitter. 10 remained from day 10 on, and I have 10 chicks a cheepin' and sassy right now. I had to assist two, one that pipped at the wrong end and another that was a late chick at day 23. That one managed to pip a hole just big enough for it's whole head to hang out. Not sure if that one is going to make it, though.

I especially like that the whole top is clear. I can see all around the eggs, and so can the children.

Well, I did end up candling them last night again at the 96 hour mark. Glad I did, you were right @ladyargentum and they were much easier to see...even saw some veining / embryo action in the ameraucana eggs
wee.gif

I'm wondering about this egg (below) though, as at the 96 hour mark all it has is a very distinct blood ring...I'm hoping it's just a slower developer and perhaps will hatch a little after the other ones. Otherwise it just never made it past this point i guess. We'll see at day 10.

jumpy.gif

Well, I did end up candling them last night again at the 96 hour mark. Glad I did, you were right @ladyargentum
 and they were much easier to see...even saw some veining / embryo action in the ameraucana eggs :weee

I'm wondering about this egg (below) though, as at the 96 hour mark all it has is a very distinct blood ring...I'm hoping it's just a slower developer and perhaps will hatch a little after the other ones. Otherwise it just never made it past this point i guess. We'll see at d

:jumpy

That top one definitely looks like a quitter.

Last edited:
I need help with what to do! I'm hatching my second batch of chicks. The first one has piped a lot but the white membrane is still there. I wondered if I need to raise humidity.

Back
Top Bottom