Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Pics
I've had several pip at the wrong end. My hatch rates have still been sadly low. I've been incubating at 35% humidity with a little more success. But my broody has definitely been the most successful with 6 out of 12 and that's still been with difficult hatchings.

three weeks old and sleeping on a perch under mama's wing. They are flying up into the coop at night now. There's a standard size chick under the other wing too. I'm seeing a little red on its face so... roo?

I've had several pip at the wrong end. My hatch rates have still been sadly low. I've been incubating at 35% humidity with a little more success. But my broody has definitely been the most successful with 6 out of 12 and that's still been with difficult hatchings.

three weeks old and sleeping on a perch under mama's wing. They are flying up into the coop at night now. There's a standard size chick under the other wing too. I'm seeing a little red on its face so... roo?

That looks like a roo... pretty! How old are your 6 now... I am really loving the birds I hatched from Pamela... they are really pretty birds and all different colors. I wish I could handle them though... they will eat out of my hand but that is it. It is nice to have the broodies hatch them but then I feel like I can't properly socialize them.

I have 6 eggs from my trio in the bator now and I am experimenting with humidity (again)... This batch is around 22% humidity right now... though my two hygrometers read 4% apart... This last batch was around 35 for the first week and 25 to 30 for the last two... the biggest of the eggs had chicks so big they could barely pip... a couple couldn't even pip externally, one of then lived, amazingly. I seem to have gotten pretty good at helping these babies hatch, but I would love for them to hatch themselves! With all these humidity issues, I wonder if it would even be possible to hatch any eggs in the winter?

I do think the smallest eggs needed higher humidity so I was sorry I lost all of them... only three made it to lockdown and one of them was my only silkied egg.

Those Seramas sure do like to pip at the wrong end, I had the same trouble.
hu.gif
Glad to hear you got 9, and a black one
love.gif

thanks
smile.png
I got three Ethan chicks... little golden booted babies!

Here are my new babies... the top photo is from my trio... the bottom two photos are Castle Delight chicks... wondering if I have any frizzled chicks!

Usually you can tell after a week when the wing tip feathers aren't nice and smooth but a little funky :) I knew for sure by three weeks when real feathers started growing in, in every direction.

You are selling the chicks off of your own hens? I'm pretty sure I saw your craigslist ad
smile.png
. They are awfully cute

Usually you can tell after a week when the wing tip feathers aren't nice and smooth but a little funky :) I knew for sure by three weeks when real feathers started growing in, in every direction.

You are selling the chicks off of your own hens? I'm pretty sure I saw your craigslist ad
smile.png
. They are awfully cute

Yep, I hatched some more from my hen so I thought I might sell a few before I'm overrun! I might be asking too much, but that is what Pamela charges for Serama chicks. I used the photo of my first batch because they pretty much look the same ; ) I am going to wait tilll the castle delight babies get older to see what I have before I figure out what to do with them all. The Darius chick is the only one that maybe looks frizzled and he was from a "smooth" labeled egg. We'll see!

My white hen is sitting on two eggs that should hatch this week, I only candled them once and they looked good!

My frizzle hen abandoned her 5 week olds while I was switching areas so the new mom could have her own place for a while. They wouldn't stop crying!! It was so sad I had to bring them inside and they are getting along great with their siblings that hatched right after them in the bator.

Yep, I hatched some more from my hen so I thought I might sell a few before I'm overrun! I might be asking too much, but that is what Pamela charges for Serama chicks. I used the photo of my first batch because they pretty much look the same ; ) I am going to wait tilll the castle delight babies get older to see what I have before I figure out what to do with them all. The Darius chick is the only one that maybe looks frizzled and he was from a "smooth" labeled egg. We'll see!

My white hen is sitting on two eggs that should hatch this week, I only candled them once and they looked good!

My frizzle hen abandoned her 5 week olds while I was switching areas so the new mom could have her own place for a while. They wouldn't stop crying!! It was so sad I had to bring them inside and they are getting along great with their siblings that hatched right after them in the bator.

It's more than I would pay for a newly hatched serama chick (as tempting as it is) but you may have luck selling them just because there are so few around here. Your hatch looks almost all light and mine dark :p We could always trade chicks lol

It's more than I would pay for a newly hatched serama chick (as tempting as it is) but you may have luck selling them just because there are so few around here. Your hatch looks almost all light and mine dark :p We could always trade chicks lol

SOOOOOO CUTE!!!! I am always up for a trade!!

Back
Top Bottom