Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Pics
I'm going to be hatching out a dozen shipped Serama eggs in the coming weeks. They are getting shipped out Wednesday. I know that the odds are NOT in my favor, but I wanted to try anyway.

Any tips from you all? Do you set shipped eggs pointy side down in an egg crate like you do with the standard size eggs?
Welcome to the hatch-a-long!!

I would candle the eggs and see how their air cells are doing... if they are loose or detached, I would set them upright ( pointy side down) after letting them rest a day at room temp. I put a paper towel over the cups of an egg carton and then the cups are more snug for Serama eggs. I wouldn't turn them for a few days... maybe up to 5 depending on the air cells.

So exciting!! My frizzle hen keeps laying eggs so I get to keep hatching along with everyone!! In fact she is the only bird consistently laying here right now!

Welcome to the hatch-a-long!!

I would candle the eggs and see how their air cells are doing... if they are loose or detached, I would set them upright ( pointy side down) after letting them rest a day at room temp. I put a paper towel over the cups of an egg carton and then the cups are more snug for Serama eggs. I wouldn't turn them for a few days... maybe up to 5 depending on the air cells.

So exciting!! My frizzle hen keeps laying eggs so I get to keep hatching along with everyone!! In fact she is the only bird consistently laying here right now!
Thank you for the tips!

I need Cardboard egg carton right!?!?

Another thing... when trying to calculate space in an incubator... what size ratio at they to a regular sized egg?

Last edited:
I need Cardboard egg carton right!?!?

Another thing... when trying to calculate space in an incubator... what size ratio at they to a regular sized egg?

Well, in a carton they are going to take up as much space as a regular egg unless you have a mini egg carton! On their side, the small eggs probably take up 1/4th the space but I like to have room to turn them so I don't knock them into each other. Cardboard is good because you can cut the bottoms out to help with air circulation.

So hard to wait!!! One week left and I have 5 Serama eggs still viable... had one quitter this week, but it was a fairly porous egg. 4 from Pamela and 1 from my Frizzle hen. 3 Silkie eggs too. I have 8 more eggs from Frizzle in the incubator... 4 on day 7 and 4 that I set today. I love to hatch eggs every week!

Day 21 begins! It is hard not to constantly peek. No rocking, this one is likely to be late if it made it because of the power outtage. Hope you're gearing up for the world and not festering, little guy! Tempted to water candle since there's no pips but I'll give til day 23 for that

Day 21 begins! It is hard not to constantly peek. No rocking, this one is likely to be late if it made it because of the power outtage. Hope you're gearing up for the world and not festering, little guy! Tempted to water candle since there's no pips but I'll give til day 23 for that
Good luck!!! Fingers crossed for you!
fl.gif

I notice that if I cheep at them sometimes they will pip right after... sometimes they need encouragement!!

I notice that if I cheep at them sometimes they will pip right after... sometimes they need encouragement!!
I will try playing some chick peep noises off youtube while I clean! I've heard that they coordinate hatching time by talking to one another in the egg, so we'll see what happens. I just have to be gentle on it.. the cheeping sounds get my hatched serama and my cochin going. Heck of a cacophony!

Last edited:
I will try playing some chick peep noises off youtube while I clean! I've heard that they coordinate hatching time by talking to one another in the egg, so we'll see what happens. I just have to be gentle on it.. the cheeping sounds get my hatched serama and my cochin going. Heck of a cacophony!
They just want to help!!

Back
Top Bottom