Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Pics
Local is awesome, that gives them a big head start  Humidity sound good, the eggs themselves will add humidity.  About the temp... when you put your eggs in the temp will go down and then slowly come back up.  For forced air you want temp 99 to 100 degrees.  You want to have it pretty stable at that temp before you put eggs in.  You should have at least one plug open for air..

Are you planning to put the Seramas in the eggs turner?  I have not tried it... I don't have one so I can't experiment, but I have only heard Seramas are better hand turned but then you would have to hand turn all of them.  If you put them in the turner, they would probably be fine.

I put 5 of my Serama's eggs in yesterday so we can truly hatch-a long!

We can! That's awesome! The temp evened back out and I just removed a vent plug. They are in an egg turner. I don't have the time to hand turn, but I may experiment with that later on. The humidity dropped a tad low so I added a little water. It's at 45% now. I'm beyond excited.

Sounds good! You know, people put tiny quail eggs in a turner, I am thinking of getting one for my quail eggs, so I bet they will be fine.

I am so thrilled I think I have 2 more Serama girls starting to lay and these girls are sooo pretty!

And I have 7 eggs due by NYD and 6 more are on day 8, I think, and then the 5 I set yesterday.

I also found my very first duck eggs today from the Anconas we hatched in the Summer. They are a beautiful blue!

I can just tell this Spring is going to be so fun!

Oh my! That's so exciting! You'll have to post pictures of the chicks due NYD! Such a great way to start the new year! I've only had chickens since this last May so I'm still learning the ropes. These will be my first Seramas. Now I mainly have cochins, silkies, and EEs.

Candling complete! Updated my spreadsheet with photos of the developing eggs. I left the clears in after a sniff test to keep temps stable, and my poor hen is patiently waiting on more clears after I took her lone developing egg to go in to the seemingly safer incubator. Altogether 6 developing, 11 clears, 1 blood ring!

So that's 1/3rd of eggs set actually developing. Fingers crossed they all magically make it to lockdown! If I get one chick again I'm going to explode lmao

I love the spreadsheet... can't wait to see how they are doing on day 14!!

Updated my spreadsheet again! One quit, but another I wasn't sure about started to develop.. they are a little behind, but alive! #5 has a weird half-saddle aircell but is developing, I am anticipating an assisted hatch with them but will be happy to help 'em out. There's a 7th egg that is a little weird.. I'm giving it 'til lockdown candle to impress me since it passed the sniff test. We'll see what happens.

Thanks, I am glad you like the spreadsheet! I had to yank weight from the list, my scale's power source died and I'm waiting on a replacement in the mail. Googledocs is great for this kind of stuff, and stored off computer so you don't need to worry about losing it in case of hardware failure.

Congrats on your duck eggs darkbluespace, and a belated welcome collegegardner! I hope you both had good holidays and that your hatches eggs keep on truckin'
D.gif

Updated my spreadsheet again! One quit, but another I wasn't sure about started to develop.. they are a little behind, but alive! #5 has a weird half-saddle aircell but is developing, I am anticipating an assisted hatch with them but will be happy to help 'em out. There's a 7th egg that is a little weird.. I'm giving it 'til lockdown candle to impress me since it passed the sniff test. We'll see what happens.

Thanks, I am glad you like the spreadsheet! I had to yank weight from the list, my scale's power source died and I'm waiting on a replacement in the mail. Googledocs is great for this kind of stuff, and stored off computer so you don't need to worry about losing it in case of hardware failure.

Congrats on your duck eggs darkbluespace, and a belated welcome collegegardner! I hope you both had good holidays and that your hatches eggs keep on truckin'
D.gif

That is great news, I mean if one is going to quit then it is nice to have one to take it's place! Those saddle air cells are wacky... I have a couple odd ones in my nyd hatch, We''ll see how they do, I already have one wiggling! It is early for new years but right on time for a Serama! I bought these eggs because they are very typey and hoping for cool birds... 5 out of 7 made it to lockdown and these shipped from Kentucky... I am still shocked they have done so well. They were packaged differently than any other eggs I've bought.

That is great news, I mean if one is going to quit then it is nice to have one to take it's place! Those saddle air cells are wacky... I have a couple odd ones in my nyd hatch, We''ll see how they do, I already have one wiggling! It is early for new years but right on time for a Serama! I bought these eggs because they are very typey and hoping for cool birds... 5 out of 7 made it to lockdown and these shipped from Kentucky... I am still shocked they have done so well. They were packaged differently than any other eggs I've bought.

That is great news that they're doing so well! How were they packaged? These ones I have in now were shipped wrapped in bubble wrap and free-standing inside a full packed ocean of shredded paper. They didn't really seem to have much in the way of air cell trouble, despite how many clears I tugged.

I need to start looking for more serama eggs again. Would like to go right on to the next hatch once these babies are out! Aiming for 3 groups of 3 birds and would like to over hatch so I can raise them up, select the best, and sell the others.

That is great news that they're doing so well! How were they packaged? These ones I have in now were shipped wrapped in bubble wrap and free-standing inside a full packed ocean of shredded paper. They didn't really seem to have much in the way of air cell trouble, despite how many clears I tugged.

I need to start looking for more serama eggs again. Would like to go right on to the next hatch once these babies are out! Aiming for 3 groups of 3 birds and would like to over hatch so I can raise them up, select the best, and sell the others.

There were 7 eggs wrapped in long tubes of bubble wrap all standing in the middle of the box, actually bubble envelopes so sturdier than normal bubble wrap. All air cells were upright. The tubes were surrounded by more envelopes holding them in place. I think this is the best I've seen yet.

Even when all your eggs hatch, I know you are going to need more... they are irresistible.

Back
Top Bottom