Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Pics
3 natural external pips, and at least 1 more chirping about making one soon!

Early bird internal pipper #9 needed some help.. I pipped for them because they're malpositioned! This photo is 8 hours post-assist, they have behaved normally and you can see the blood is receding nicely. The hole is huge because I REALLY had to search for that beak.

and ordered 6 more eggs... need another 6 to fil up the bator again once this is through!

That is really great! Can't wait to see them!
jumpy.gif

Hello Everyone !!!

I'm brand new to seramas, but not to chickens! I'm 'incubating' my 13 ebay eggs that I got on New Year's Eve under my best broody...a silkie named Riley Roo! Eighteen days
and counting !!!
I CAN'T WAIT !!!

-kim-

Hello Everyone !!!

I'm brand new to seramas, but not to chickens! I'm 'incubating' my 13 ebay eggs that I got on New Year's Eve under my best broody...a silkie named Riley Roo! Eighteen days
and counting !!!
I CAN'T WAIT !!!

-kim-
Welcome! You're going to love this breed! I hope your first hatch goes well. They're not the easiest to hatch and their shipped eggs especially are delicate, but they are worth it. They are delightful little butts right out of the egg, and I've found the older my rooster gets the more he becomes attached. Are you eventually adding them to an outdoor flock, or planning on keeping them in an enclosure?

Last edited:
There are 4 chicks bumbling around the incubator now! The newest one out couldn't bust their membrane, I gave them until it started turning brown to assist. They zipped very admirably all by themselves, so we'll give them all the credit, they did the hard part
wink.png

Sadly, the chick in egg #1 passed away. Their blood was not fully absorbed at time of death, but it was post pip. They were cross beaked, turns out. I am betting either exhaustion from not being able to zip with that deformity, or suffocation, as they filled the egg very, very tightly. They would have been beautiful, and the tiniest little thing... poor baby... I've not lost one I heard the voice from yet. I can't tell if I'm taking this well or it hasn't really sunk in

There are 4 chicks bumbling around the incubator now! The newest one out couldn't bust their membrane, I gave them until it started turning brown to assist. They zipped very admirably all by themselves, so we'll give them all the credit, they did the hard part
wink.png

Sadly, the chick in egg #1 passed away. Their blood was not fully absorbed at time of death, but it was post pip. They were cross beaked, turns out. I am betting either exhaustion from not being able to zip with that deformity, or suffocation, as they filled the egg very, very tightly. They would have been beautiful, and the tiniest little thing... poor baby... I've not lost one I heard the voice from yet. I can't tell if I'm taking this well or it hasn't really sunk in

Ahh, they are sooo precious! I am so happy you've got some adorable little chicks! It is really nice that they all have different coloring, it will be so fun to see how their feathers come in. Sorry you lost one too
hugs.gif

I am even more jealous of that Brinsea now, my eggs that were doing so well and supposed to hatch on New Years almost all ended up being seriously malpositioned and didn't make it. The one that would have survived died before it could pip. I can usually handle some malpositions but the humidity was a problem because a couple of the eggs lost moisture much faster than the others so I ended up not getting it right for any of them. I am rather crushed but I have the next round of shipped eggs about to go into lockdown so I am hoping they will do better. I have several from my own hens too... They laid three eggs the other day and I should get some more today. At least trying to hatch my own eggs is less expensive and I have some consistency so I can better figure out humidity for them, at least till someone goes broody!!

Hello Everyone !!!

and counting !!!
I CAN'T WAIT !!!

-kim-

Welcome! Broody hens are awesome, my first time hen hatched my first 7 Seramas and then she stayed with them for over 4 months! They were just so small that she didn't realize they were grown up. I am excited to hear how your eggs do!

Back
Top Bottom