Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Pics
I am trying to get my newest incubator together because I picked up 100+ quail eggs today! Sparky isn't helping though, I have to give him some love before I can put him back in the brooder. I can't wait till he can hang out on my shoulder
big_smile.png

darkbluespace what do you do with your quail?
I am selling them. I am thinking about raising some jumbos for eggs and chicks but it is so cheap to buy eggs that I might just keep buying them.

I set this batch because I have an order for 50. I hope I'll have extras too. I only hatched 30 or so last time because my humidity was too high. I did add water so this time will be a dry incubation I think. I might also hatch a batch for the feed and seed nearby. The chicks are so tiny and cute.

I keep mine around 60% for lock down.

The quail chicks are super tiny... most are smaller than Seramas!

My backwards chick didn't make it
sad.png
but hopefully Sparkle chick will have a friend soon. Of the last 10 I put in, it looks like 8 are developing.

I'm sorry your backwards chick didnt make it. Have you put a stuffed animal in with Sparkle it might help at least a little?

I hope she makes it for you! I'd be an anxious wreck - heck, I was. I stressed over my hatch with the multiple assists so hard that I got sick right afterward. I'm glad your little lone one finally calmed down. My 2 older chickens are super sweet and tame, but I was not a fan of sleeping on the couch to be near the brooder having to wake up every now and then to remind them I'm still there and not dead. I can't say I blame them, being alone is a death sentence in the wild, but the poor things are insatiable when it comes to attention and affection!

I'm starting to think my last hatch was 4 roosters and 1 hen. I really hope I'm wrong. Only 2 are showing redness in the comb (they're about to be 2 weeks so, yikes) but the other two spar and prance around like cockerels. One of those two is top of the pecking order so they might just be rowdy.. I haven't raised a group of chickens before, just 2 single chicks, so here's hoping I'm just assigning too much to action. I'm pretty sure my favorite chick is a hen, at least!

I have had some really stressful hatches too.. with all that anticipation building up. My little guy has been loud again since I sold the rest of my quail Friday. They were in a brooder next to him but he misses them. I haven't slept next to the brooder yet, so far he has been alright at night. He just cries during the day and I have to hold him till he calms down. Did your single chicks take to each other eventually?

I hope you got more than one hen! Last fall I had one hatch that was 4 hens and one roo! I thought I had great luck till the next batch was 4 roos and 1 hen! So much for beating the odds! We would love to see photos of your chicks!!!!

I'm sorry your backwards chick didnt make it. Have you put a stuffed animal in with Sparkle it might help at least a little?

He has a little bunny finger puppet and I tried a mirror but it seemed to agitate him! I just have to hold him while he takes a couple naps during the day... the naps calm him down : )

Back
Top Bottom