Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Pics
:fl for your hatches!

My hen hatched a couple of my super tiny babies and they look good apart from a little pasty bum, probably because they are so small. I have another hen on two of those tiny eggs and a couple more hens on three. I can't wait to see if they are frizzled! Or spotted, I can't remember what their mama looked like when she hatched.

My pullet that layed those eggs went broody but didn't keep them warm enough and none developed. :(. I gave her some second try eggs but might just give her a chick when I have an extra. Some of my hens eggs are a bit staggered so I play musical eggs and chicks.

My first broody Silkies are sitting on a dozen eggs and they are great broodies! They didn't fight over the eggs like my Seramas do. One has pipped so I hope to have a bunch of babies tomorrow!

Awe how sweet and cute:) but too bad about the eggs that didn't develop!

So on Monday I had cheeping and rocking from 4 of my 6 eggs, but they never externally piped and by last night there was no movement or noise from the eggs. I drilled into the air cells today and confirmed that all four had died. 3 piped internally but didn't make it further, 1 had its head at the wrong end of the egg. I have 2 eggs left. 1 internally piped today and is cheeping, the other hasn't done much yet, but I think is still alive . Is there anything I can do to try and help these along? I've read up on assisted hatches but I'm still a little fuzzy on when to help if they have not piped externally. I don't want the one I have cheeping to die in the shell too.

Today is day 20. Humidity is 65%

Last edited:
So on Monday I had cheeping and rocking from 4 of my 6 eggs, but they never externally piped and by last night there was no movement  or noise from the eggs. I drilled into the air cells today and confirmed that all four had died. 3 piped internally but didn't make it further, 1 had its head at the wrong end of the egg. I have 2 eggs left. 1 internally piped today and is cheeping, the other hasn't done much yet, but I think is still alive . Is there anything I can do to try and  help these along? I've read up on assisted hatches but I'm still a little fuzzy on when to help if they have not piped externally. I don't want the one I have cheeping to die in the shell too. 

Today is day 20. Humidity is 65%

Sorry, I am just seeing this now. When they are able to internally pip but not externally, you can help by opening the air cell end of the egg and putting ointment on the membrane and wrapping them in a moist paper towel till the veins have mostly all been absorbed.

Sorry, I am just seeing this now. When they are able to internally pip but not externally, you can help by opening the air cell end of the egg and putting ointment on the membrane and wrapping them in a moist paper towel till the veins have mostly all been absorbed.

It was my own fault. They seemed to be going strong Tuesday morning. So I went on with my day, but by the time I got back and checked on they were already goners. Out of the six eggs, 2 tried to pip wrong end and didn't make it. The others piped into funky air cells and couldn't make contact with the shell. I lost the first 3, but saved this little one

You can't really tell from the pic, but there is a foot between the beak and the shell. I put olive oil on the membrane ever 2hrs. And in the morning I had this

It was my own fault. They seemed to be going strong Tuesday morning. So I went on with my day, but by the time I got back and checked on they were already goners. Out of the six eggs, 2 tried to pip wrong end and didn't make it. The others piped into funky air cells and couldn't make contact with the shell. I lost the first 3, but saved this little one

You can't really tell from the pic, but there is a foot between the beak and the shell. I put olive oil on the membrane ever 2hrs. And in the morning I had this

What a sweet chick! Sorry about the others, it ended up a singleton? Hatching babies is hard sometimes! :hugs

One of my Silkie hens mangled the back of one of my new chicks this morning. It is still alive, I brought it inside and put it in the incubator. I think it will heal up but its whole back was bloody with skin missing (sorry, TMI). Why do my hens only attack my best lavender showgirls?? Fortunately I still have two good mamas with the chicks.

What a sweet chick! Sorry about the others, it ended up a singleton? Hatching babies is hard sometimes! :hugs

One of my Silkie hens mangled the back of one of my new chicks this morning. It is still alive, I brought it inside and put it in the incubator. I think it will heal up but its whole back was bloody with skin missing (sorry, TMI). Why do my hens only attack my best lavender showgirls?? Fortunately I still have two good mamas with the chicks.

Some folks near by have a bunch of silkie chicks that have been hatching, so I picked up 3 to keep the little one company. I hope a couple will be hens so I can compare broody vs. Incubator next year. I have 36 more eggs going now. Most are seramas or serama mixes. At this point I'm lowering expectations and just hoping to get at least a pair out of the two hatches.
Next time I'll know to be more proactive. People kept telling me to be patient....... don't think that's the way to go with bad air cells :(

Some folks near by have a bunch of silkie chicks that have been hatching, so I picked up 3 to keep the little one company. I hope a couple will be hens so I can compare broody vs. Incubator next year. I have 36 more eggs going now. Most are seramas or serama mixes. At this point I'm lowering expectations and just hoping to get at least a pair out of the two hatches.
Next time I'll know to be more proactive. People kept telling me to be patient....... don't think that's the way to go with bad air cells :(

Patience doesn't work for me with seramas... Not until I have a Brinsea anyway.

I am glad you got some chick friends. I think I am only going to hatch seramas with silkies from now on because the silkies are so friendly that it rubs off on the Seramas.

Are your new eggs shipped ? Good luck, you really do only need a pair and they will hatch so many more for you!

Are your new eggs shipped ? Good luck, you really do only need a pair and they will hatch so many more for you!

Yes the new eggs are shipped as well. I candled yesterday, I have 8 serama, 2 banty EE, and 10 white Bresse showing veins.

The Bresse are a gift to my husband. He wanted a good duel purpose bird and would constantly make fun of my last 'useless but pretty' serama flock ;p

Hi everyone! I have serama and bantam cochin eggs in the incubator....what day should lockdown be?
I started them on Wednesday, Aug 24.

Back
Top Bottom