Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Looks like the blood vessels have receeded... no blood ring of course... should I open the membrane and not the the egg, too?

You can make a small hole in the air cell end and put a little ointment on the membrane with a q tip and see if they are still alive. If they aren't able to pip internally, I make a small hole where there are no veins, so they can breathe.

Ok I candled... if you saw my earlier posts I had to go out of town when the chicks were on day 12 ... it looks like they got stuck to one side of the egg .

wow I'm really sorry. I'm one that said it shouldn't hurt them to not be turned for a couple days. i feel horrible. :(
I'll be hoping they make it. :fl

I think it was a fairly impossible call... I also thought less turning might be better than going automatic at that stage. :(
wow I'm really sorry. I'm one that said it shouldn't hurt them to not be turned for a couple days. i feel horrible. :(
I'll be hoping they make it. :fl
Well folks... none made it... they made it very far...but not to hatch day....poor babies... next time I try i need to have a whole month where I don't go out of town... thank you for the help though!!

anybody found a secret on hatching female seramas? I bet i have twice as many little cockerels. :barnie

This is anecdotal, but I've read that the female embryos are a little more sensitive to problems during incubation and more likely to quit.

Here's how I speculate and interpret that: male birds have ZZ chromosome, female birds have ZW. In humans it's the opposite. Females have XX and males have XY. In humans, there are X-linked genetic disorders. Males have a higher prevalence of those disorders because they only have one X, whereas females have a backup X if info from one is defective.

And in birds it's the opposite. There must be Z-linked genetic defects that females are more susceptible to because they only have one Z.

I acquired a second incubator this spring and have been doing a rolling incubation the past month. It's been so nice not having to worry about eggs getting too old while I collect enough to set, nor to worry much about getting enough eggs from pairs that lay less frequently.

Will be hatching through the rest of June. Here are a few of the babies I've already hatched:

_DSC3919.jpg

_DSC3940.jpg

_DSC3974.jpg

_DSC4027.jpg

_DSC3980.jpg

Here's one that just hatched this afternoon:
IMG_1760.JPG

Hi all!

I was wondering if you all can give me Serama Advice.
One:What feed can a give them?Regular chicken food or other?
Two:Is it true they take only 19 days to hatch?If so, what's Lockdown day?
Three:I was thinking of buying eggs of Ebay, But I am only going to be getting a 10 egg incubator, and I only want Smooth feathered birds, and I could only find them in quantitys of 15 and up.So, do any of you sell JUST SMOOTH feathered Seramas?

I acquired a second incubator this spring and have been doing a rolling incubation the past month. It's been so nice not having to worry about eggs getting too old while I collect enough to set, nor to worry much about getting enough eggs from pairs that lay less frequently.

Will be hatching through the rest of June. Here are a few of the babies I've already hatched:

Here's one that just hatched this afternoon:
View attachment 1045228

Gorgeous babies!! You always take amazing photos too!

Back
Top Bottom