Serama Rooster and a standard sized hen

artvandolay

Songster
Feb 16, 2023
So. California
I am contemplating using a Serama rooster as my main rooster (less loud) for my flock or one Serama and another standard rooster if they grow up together and have enough hens between the two.

I know bantam rooster can mate with standard chicken but I dont know if a serama will.

If so, what will their offspring look like? Anyone try this or have photos?

Last edited:
HA HA, but is it biologically possible?

Will the hens let him?

Evolutionary speaking, roosters are good at mating with all their hens.
I won't say it's never possible, just that if he succeeds the dude deserves a medal.

Some hens may, I got hens who have types so some may like the little guy and squat for him. That or he Indiana Jones it and climbs on top while she moving to try :lau

His chance of making 'contact' with the hen is less than zero %. There's just too much of a size difference. Some bantams can make the size adjustment, but I really think he is just too small. If he somehow managed they would produce 'normal' chicks.

His chance of making 'contact' with the hen is less than zero %. There's just too much of a size difference. Some bantams can make the size adjustment, but I really think he is just too small. If he somehow managed they would produce 'normal' chicks.
The Roosters say size doesn't matter too! ;)

Well, I wonder if anyone has done it, either artificially or otherwise, and if they do come out normal or smaller? I don't know the chicken genome all that well. lol

Well, I wonder if anyone has done it, either artificially or otherwise, and if they do come out normal or smaller? I don't know the chicken genome all that well. lol
Size when they hatch is determined by what size egg they hatch from. So the chicks would hatch the same size as any other chick from that hen's eggs.

Adult size is affected by what genes they inherit from each parent.

I don't know about Seramas in particular, but I've read of other bantam x large crosses. There are several genes that control size, so chicks can be small, medium, or large from such a cross, depending on which genes are involved. I read of one case where someone crossed two breeds of bantam, and the chicks grew into normal large-sized chickens!

I think there's a good chance that half-Serama chicks will grow up smaller than their large-fowl mothers, but not a certainty. That's based on the assumption that Seramas would have quite a few different size-reducing genes, likely including one or more that are dominant.

Back
Top Bottom