Serama Rooster Lost His Crow

Chestoah

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
Hi! We have a serama roo named Elvis that we got back in the fall. He used to live in a litter pan at a feed store and has always been full of personality and very talkative. However, he has stopped crowing. He stills clucks and squawks and eats and drinks and bosses the hens, but when he wants to crow, he opens his mouth and nothing comes out. When I noticed this yesterday, I also noticed his nares had become plugged. My daughter held him in the bathroom with a hot shower running and I was able to unplug one nare and most of the other. It appeared to be dirt/dust/feed general junk. He doesn't seem sick. After this, he let out a few hoarse crows, but this morning is back to silent crows. It is very very cold here, could that be causing this? I'm going to work on cleaning the other nare out some more today. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for you wisdom and advice!

Is he wheezing, shaking his head, gasping for air, breathing heavy, or constantly opening his beak and stretching his neck out (the "silent crow")?

Does he have any odd smells coming from him? Have you seen him with bubbly eyes at all?

If you gently pinch his wattles just under his "chin," you can open his beak. Grab a flashlight and check inside his mouth and down his throat for any lesions or parasites... You may need a second pair of hands.

Any other info will help us help you!

MrsB

We had him inside with us for some time yesterday and noticed no other symptoms. His breathing is fine, eating/drinking fine, poops are fine. Alert, happy, active. Only opens his mouth to eat or cluck, or when attempting to crow. He clucks just fine as well. I'll get my daughter to help me check down his throat. I've called our vet who recommended treating all birds with Sulmet, but none of them actually seem sick and I don't want to medicate and discard eggs unnecessarily. (Our vet admittedly has no chicken experience but is kind enough to offer suggestions about them when I call.). Eyes are clear and bright, no discharge or swelling that I can see. He just can't crow.

Back
Top Bottom