Serama Rooster's foot turned green and foot 'looks' dead - IS THIS FROSTBITE?

Six Chickies

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 23, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I have a 9-month-old serama roo, he was living outside, and I was prepared for his comb to get frostbite, but his left foot developed 3 blisters/bubbles. One large one between his middle and right toes, a smaller one between his middle and left toes, and a very tiny swelling above his back toe. It might be important that I also think my flock had either mycoplasmosis or coryza in the months leading up.

So I brought him in the house, and I let him warm up over night and in the morning I soaked his foot in warm water. The quick of his right toe was dark, and his foot was gray (normally a vibrant yellow) to just below his spur. When I soaked it and rubbed it to get dirt of, 3 scales loosened and fell out. That was the 19th, today is the 28th. Over the course of 9 days, I think his foot has slowly died. He's been getting a soak in warm water everyday, and I was putting bag balm on it, but it doesn't appear to be helping. I have polysporin triple-antibiotic, bag balm, liquid bandage, and rubbing alcohol.

I at first thought frostbite because it has been getting so cold (-25C during the DAY), and they aren't in the best shelter, because it took us this long to find the wood we needed for our big coop project. I don't want to lose this guy, he's quiet, good to the hens, has the best type of any of my seramas.

His foot is now an iguana-green, puffy looking thing. All of his toenails are dark, and the big blister popped somewhere around day 4. He doesn't use it, he just tucks it up under himself.I can see that it causes him pain when I touch it. The bottom pad is larger than the pad on his right foot and stiff-feeling. The gray/green has started to move up his leg. His other foot looks completely normal

There is no bumblefoot scab as far as I can see.

The things I think could be causing it are frostbite, mycoplasma synoviae, blood clot, and bumblefoot.

I will try to get a pic next time I soak his foot.

If anyone could help me figure out what to do or what it could be, I thank you!

Last edited:
First you have to provide your chickens with a proper coop,they need protection from the elements,seramas are tiny birds.

Is a vet an option? It does sound like he may have 3rd degree frostbite,his foot may have gangrene setting in or foot may die and fall off,pictures will help.

Search forum,there is info on chickens that have had severe frostbite with loss of limbs.

We actually got the coop finished X-mas day. When he is on the mend, he will be put in there, it is much warmer in there compared to outside, I am so glad we finally got it up!. I honestly do not know if any of the livestock vets around me do chickens. I will look up gangrene and get pictures in the next couple of hours.

I just gave him another soak, and his foot has gangrene. It smells terrible, his quicks have gone red and black, it's gone to an ugly gray-green color, and it feels dead when i touch it.

I will start preparing to either amputate it or put him down.

Last edited:
Wet gangrene is usually a result of injury,severe burn or frostbite,swelling,blisters,skin turning black and foul smell do indicate gangrene. Cause is from lack of blood supply due to frozen tissue,this is urgent and needs to be treated immediately as infection(bacteria)spreads rapidly. Can you take him to a vet? How is he acting? Is he lethargic,fluffed up,not eating/drinking? Have you noticed if the black is spreading up his leg?

Often with gangrene the affected limb will shrivel up and fall off,but b/c of the smell i am inclined to think infection has already set in and is spreading.

Last edited:
I don't think there are any vets near me that do chickens,so I think we'll have to count the vet out. He is lethargic and puffed up and I haven't seen him eat or drink yet. The grey is spreading up his leg. Tomorrow will show his fate: he will either have only 1 leg or he will have passed on.

I don't think there are any vets near me that do chickens,so I think we'll have to count the vet out. He is lethargic and puffed up and I haven't seen him eat or drink yet. The grey is spreading up his leg. Tomorrow will show his fate: he will either have only 1 leg or he will have passed on.
This is a tough call,amputation can go wrong,but if left untreated he will die. There was a post recently about a rooster that had gangrene,the op amputated and rooster is doing fine I think you should pm her/him and ask how they removed infected limb. I would also start him on antibiotics for infection after amputation. Chickens can live with one leg,no problem. Looking for the link to op,will post it here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...update-leg-has-been-amputated-successfully/20

If he is not drinking,i would tube some fluids into him,hold off on the tubing food if you are doing amputation immediately. Tube food after.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom