Serama with swollen/irritated eye

Quote: The times vets have prescribed Baytril to me it been these amounts:
  • 10mg/kg twice a day - for a 340 gram bird that's 0.034 ml twice a day
  • 15mg/kg once a day - for a 340 gram bird that's 0.051 ml once a day
  • 20mg/kg once a day - for a 340 gram bird that's 0.068 ml once a day

The amount you're giving is about 30mg/kg, which seems like it might be too much, but I am not a vet, nor do I have any medical training.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Last edited:
The times vets have prescribed Baytril to me it been these amounts:
  • 10mg/kg twice a day - for a 340 gram bird that's 0.034 ml twice a day
  • 15mg/kg once a day - for a 340 gram bird that's 0.051 ml once a day
  • 20mg/kg once a day - for a 340 gram bird that's 0.068 ml once a day

The amount you're giving is about 30mg/kg, which seems like it might be too much, but I am not a vet, nor do I have any medical training. :D

-Kathy
Thanks Kathy. I'm going to be coping this down bc I don't have any vets in my area that deal with chickens, so I rely heavily on this forum and Google ( mainly this forum lol ) I'm going to try the drops, starting today and take him off the baytril, I think he's had enough. With my inexperience, I'm surprised I haven't killed him. I really appreciate everyone that has chimed in to give their advise and to share their cases.

With my inexperience, I'm surprised I haven't killed him. I really appreciate everyone that has chimed in to give their advise and to share their cases.

Ha! I'm right there with you. I just have the dumb luck of living in a place with a vet that's willing to help-only after joining this forum did I realize that's pretty rare. We're all pulling for you and your little rooster!

so here we go with the drops. This is what he looks like today, not much change. Anyone know how to loosen up that puss? I've been doing it with the tweezers, but man is that stuff hard to get out! Btw @deacons the drops are used for pink eye in humans (wife is a pharmacy tech) just incase you were wondering

have  you read this posting and thread? they have VERY interesting  issue there, and they talk about similar issues and the problem I can't remember the name of also!

Weird Eye Issue with two of my girls!
Let me know what you think of this posting!
Kathi Winter Haven FL

How are your girls doing?

Back
Top Bottom