Set eggs February 12th! Hatch a long with me!

I set my 41 eggs on the 12th in the afternoon. Silkies, Bantam Cochins, French Marans, D'Anvers, and a Silkie Mutt Surprise. I'm not candling at all this time. Just letting them go until day 18. For those who are using Hovabators with fans, what humidity are you using for days 1-18? How about day 19-21?

They are all standard. My little chicks are already getting big except my little runt. (s)he is about 1/3 smaller, but makes up for it in attitude! I'd like if runty stayed tiny, so cute!

Have any pics of the parent stock? I am so enthralled by LF Cochins....
I also love my bantams but they are all I have for Cochins, so I'd love to see the bigger ones running around the yard!

I found a few pics digging through my computer, they were taken quite a while ago, but it's all I have got.
I've got 6 hens, but here's a few.

Big daddy roo.

My batch of chicks that are now 1 week and 2 days. Pic was taken at a few days old.

Have any pics of the parent stock? I am so enthralled by LF Cochins....
I also love my bantams but they are all I have for Cochins, so I'd love to see the bigger ones running around the yard!

Quote:
I set 2 dz eggs on Feb 12th, too! At 1:25 pm. First time. Black Australorps, Golden Buffs and a blue egg that I don't know what kind of hen...Americauna, maybe? We tried candling a few today but didn't see anything and it seemed that the upper half was dark, so maybe not enough light? We used a homemade candler so I will try a flashlight in about 4 days. Thanks for the post!

Oh wow! I set my eggs on the 12th at 1:35! You may need a stronger light. If you hold out your hand, go in a dark room and hold the light under your fingers and if the light shines through your fingers, then it should work when you candle eggs. I am curious to see whos eggs hatch first! We set them 10 minutes apart!

I set my 41 eggs on the 12th in the afternoon. Silkies, Bantam Cochins, French Marans, D'Anvers, and a Silkie Mutt Surprise. I'm not candling at all this time. Just letting them go until day 18. For those who are using Hovabators with fans, what humidity are you using for days 1-18? How about day 19-21?

I do 35-50% humidity the first 18 days, but it rarely gets up to 50%, mostly 35-40%. Then, anytime on Day 18, I raise that up to 65-70%, but if it slips down closer to 60%, I don't worry too much about it. When they start pipping, they add their own humidity to the air.

I did candle the D'Anvers and the D'Anver/Cochin crosses. Removed one of each, one with blood ring and one that appeared to be infertile for some reason. I will be candling the BRs and others formally later in the week end, maybe even next week, though I did grab a couple of the Delawares and the BR/EE crosses and they are developing okay. I really don't like to candle when I have this many eggs in the bator, but I am paranoid about one seeping or something, though none are shipped.

I just candled and here's my stats
33 eggs put in
18 growing
1 blood ring
14 pretty sure are duds

I'm having an issue, same as my last time incubating. My one hen (she is an Orp, my only one) all her eggs grow for a few days and quit. They did last time and this time as well. When you candle you can see a tiny embryo float around. Out of the 14 left that I think have nothing happening, 10 are hers(the only ones from her). What the heck? Oh well, I guess her eggs are good for eating and not hatching!

I found a few pics digging through my computer, they were taken quite a while ago, but it's all I have got.
I've got 6 hens, but here's a few.

Big daddy roo.

My batch of chicks that are now 1 week and 2 days. Pic was taken at a few days old.

Nice hens
thumbsup.gif
I am so envious! I really like the girls in the first 2 pics. Is the first a Partridge?

I just candled and here's my stats
33 eggs put in
18 growing
1 blood ring
14 pretty sure are duds

I'm having an issue, same as my last time incubating. My one hen (she is an Orp, my only one) all her eggs grow for a few days and quit. They did last time and this time as well. When you candle you can see a tiny embryo float around. Out of the 14 left that I think have nothing happening, 10 are hers(the only ones from her). What the heck? Oh well, I guess her eggs are good for eating and not hatching!
That stinks! I have never heard of that before....at least you have 18 doing something! I don't even candle until Tuesday for day 7...24 eggs with no idea what is going on inside
hu.gif

I do 35-50% humidity the first 18 days, but it rarely gets up to 50%, mostly 35-40%. Then, anytime on Day 18, I raise that up to 65-70%, but if it slips down closer to 60%, I don't worry too much about it. When they start pipping, they add their own humidity to the air.

I did candle the D'Anvers and the D'Anver/Cochin crosses. Removed one of each, one with blood ring and one that appeared to be infertile for some reason. I will be candling the BRs and others formally later in the week end, maybe even next week, though I did grab a couple of the Delawares and the BR/EE crosses and they are developing okay. I really don't like to candle when I have this many eggs in the bator, but I am paranoid about one seeping or something, though none are shipped.
I think I always run low...this time my humidity is at 55% and I plan to bump it at the end to 70%. I'm trying to keep it higher since we use wood heat and the air can dry out real quick!
D'anver \/Cochin cross? How cute that will be!
love.gif

I think the first is a partridge..definitely not as nice colored as some i've seen though, kind of weak.
Here's a pic of my roo with my 70 pound GSD. That's a big roo!!!

ETA I found another pic.. I seriously need to organize my pics on my computer lol.
This is a weird colored one, what's it called?

Nice hens
thumbsup.gif
I am so envious! I really like the girls in the first 2 pics. Is the first a Partridge?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom