Set eggs February 12th! Hatch a long with me!

sunny & the 5 egg layers

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
I set 18 barnyard mix eggs on February 12th at 1:35 in the afternoon. This is my first hatch and I am using my homemade incubator. They should be hatching on March 4th. Anybody want to hatch a long with me? Here are my eggs:

pop.gif

I haven't done a hatch like this in ages so I'm in! I set eggs late on Feb 11 and added a few by noon on Feb. 12, so Feb. 12 is my Day One, too. All are from my own flocks, none shipped.

Total of 55 eggs in the Hovabator:

There are show type Barred Plymouth Rocks, Delawares, Blue x Buff Orpingtons, BR x EE, Delaweggers (Del x EE), Belgian D'Anvers ( Mille Fleur and Porcelain x Mille Fleur colors), Plus Belgian D'Anver x Lavender Cochin

Last edited:
Now that is a lot of eggs! I had no idea you could stack them like that.
pop.gif
Is it normal for your tempature to go down at night? I am struggling right now with my tempatures. Only 95 right now. It was 93 a couple minutes ago.

I find that my Hova temps would go up at night- the reason was the metal arm for the wafer thermostat, which transferred cold from the night air to the wafer, making the heat kick on and go too high. The way I solved that was to cover the top with a hand towel at night.

Night temps shouldn't go down that much in your bator. In fact, I would be a bit concerned if they go below 98* and stay like that for hours. Maybe you should throw a towel over yours, just don't cover all the intake air holes.

I've never stacked eggs like this before but I was assured by others who do it that it works just fine. So far, it's working pretty well. It was either that or get out my second incubator, something I wanted to avoid.

Last edited:
Oohh I'll join! I set 33 Cochin eggs on the 12th. I just completed my first hatch last wednesday.

Quote:
I find that my Hova temps would go up at night- the reason was the metal arm for the wafer thermostat, which transferred cold from the night air to the wafer, making the heat kick on and go too high. The way I solved that was to cover the top with a hand towel at night.

Night temps shouldn't go down that much in your bator. In fact, I would be a bit concerned if they go below 98* and stay like that for hours. Maybe you should throw a towel over yours, just don't cover all the intake air holes.

I've never stacked eggs like this before but I was assured by others who do it that it works just fine. So far, it's working pretty well. It was either that or get out my second incubator, something I wanted to avoid.
I covered my incubator all with foam insulation last night. The temp stayed at 100 degrees all night long. I can honestly say my incubator looks like some sort of space craft though. Take a look for yourself:

gig.gif

Quote:
I covered my incubator all with foam insulation last night. The temp stayed at 100 degrees all night long. I can honestly say my incubator looks like some sort of space craft though. Take a look for yourself:

gig.gif

thumbsup.gif
Whatever it takes, man!
lol.png

I just set 24 mixed browns from my own in on Tuesday night....can I join?
Here are my stats... 24 brown eggs of mixed stock in an LG still air while heating with wood in upstate NY
ep.gif
We'll see!

Last edited:
I haven't done a hatch like this in ages so I'm in! I set eggs late on Feb 11 and added a few by noon on Feb. 12, so Feb. 12 is my Day One, too. All are from my own flocks, none shipped.

Total of 55 eggs in the Hovabator:

There are show type Barred Plymouth Rocks, Delawares, Blue x Buff Orpingtons, BR x EE, Delaweggers (Del x EE), Belgian D'Anvers ( Mille Fleur and Porcelain x Mille Fleur colors), Plus Belgian D'Anver x Lavender Cochin

Nice eggs Speckledhen...gorgeous colors! I had to choose all brown because the DH says no colored eggs for meat....
hu.gif
He thinks they are too hard to pluck, I guess!

Back
Top Bottom