Setting 41 on 6-15, 7-8, 7-31, and 8-23 feel free to join in at any time

I put 7 1 day old chicks into my brooder with the 12 1 week olds...its going well, there doesn't seem to be any friction. The little guys are getting stepped on a bit, but a few have already taken to drinking water so that's a big positive. I gave the little guys a little alcove to hide in should they need it. 12 hatches so far from the Brinsea, 9 other pips, so looking good so far. Humidity is ~80%, so I able to open the Brinsea and remove egg shells to give the chicks a bit of room to move around. I have 60 eggs collected so far for my next setting, which will likely be in a few days.

I'm really curious to see the results of the Brinsea hatch. Was the hatch rate in the styro 35% because the chicks died afterwards? I believe it was originally 50%...???

I mixed my first 2 hatches into one coop yesterday. I let them have playtime in the run together one day. The second day they spent the whole day in the run together. By the third night they all slept in the coop together. It seems to be going well. But the older ones were hand raised by me and my kids, I honestly think they associate more with humans then chickens. They don't mess with the 4/5 week olds at all. Also, I think the ease of mixing them together comes from them being silkie chickens and hand raised. So far I know I'm lucky to have it go so smooth. Trying to decide which direction I want to go with chickens. Thinking of selling them all and starting over with good layers for eating eggs. But my kids love the silkies. If I stay with the silkie breed, I think I will sell these anyway and try to raise a better quality silkie to sell as breeder/show quality. I really don't know which way to go next with my chickens.

I'm really curious to see the results of the Brinsea hatch. Was the hatch rate in the styro 35% because the chicks died afterwards? I believe it was originally 50%...???

Yea, I'm not really considering the difference between dying in the bator versus dying day 1 or 2 in the brooder...as it was all of the late hatchers who died (e.g. hatched on day 22 and 23).

I mixed my first 2 hatches into one coop yesterday. I let them have playtime in the run together one day. The second day they spent the whole day in the run together. By the third night they all slept in the coop together. It seems to be going well. But the older ones were hand raised by me and my kids, I honestly think they associate more with humans then chickens. They don't mess with the 4/5 week olds at all. Also, I think the ease of mixing them together comes from them being silkie chickens and hand raised. So far I know I'm lucky to have it go so smooth. Trying to decide which direction I want to go with chickens. Thinking of selling them all and starting over with good layers for eating eggs. But my kids love the silkies. If I stay with the silkie breed, I think I will sell these anyway and try to raise a better quality silkie to sell as breeder/show quality. I really don't know which way to go next with my chickens.

Congrats on your successful mingling, that's great news.

You've certainly got a lot of possibilities if you do start over...just ask yourself what you like the most.

Yea, I'm not really considering the difference between dying in the bator versus dying day 1 or 2 in the brooder...as it was all of the late hatchers who died (e.g. hatched on day 22 and 23).

I concur. I calculate mine as "successful hatch". Those are birds that no matter HOW they hatch or WHEN they hatch, they are viable birds that are able to function normally within 48 hours and survive until they are eating, drinking, and pooping as is normal. Hatching a bird that I have to cull or that dies on its own isn't a successful hatch.

I put 7 1 day old chicks into my brooder with the 12 1 week olds...its going well, there doesn't seem to be any friction. The little guys are getting stepped on a bit, but a few have already taken to drinking water so that's a big positive. I gave the little guys a little alcove to hide in should they need it. 12 hatches so far from the Brinsea, 9 other pips, so looking good so far. Humidity is ~80%, so I able to open the Brinsea and remove egg shells to give the chicks a bit of room to move around. I have 60 eggs collected so far for my next setting, which will likely be in a few days.

Glad the Brinsea seems to be doing better for you. What day is it now?

I don't know much about BCM or the local hybrid layers you have, but are the BCM looking ones female and the white with spots males? Love the feathered shanks and they are cute. I hope they develop as you want.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom