Setting 41 on 6-15, 7-8, 7-31, and 8-23 feel free to join in at any time

Well its not that simple. Yes, the wet bulb temp is lower with higher ambient temp, but there's more to it than that when related to incubation.

Lolz, I say "simplest form" and you say "its not that simple". Yes, that's its simplest form, lower humidity = higher temperature. That's "wet bulb". That's not a formulae for incubating, that's the definition of "web bulb". So, next time you say it isn't that simple, offer some insight into why...not just; "there's more to it than that". I am merely suggesting that people look into it, as I have no experience using it I cannot offer any incubating tips.

Last edited:
Lolz, I say "simplest form" and you say "its not that simple". Yes, that's its simplest form, lower humidity = higher temperature. That's "wet bulb". That's not a formulae for incubating, that's the definition of "web bulb". So, next time you say it isn't that simple, offer some insight into why...not just; "there's more to it than that". I am merely suggesting that people look into it, as I have no experience using it I cannot offer any incubating tips.

Touche... Lol. I meant I didn't want it broken down to the "simplest" form. I also said, I need to re-read some stuff, relative to incubating. So I'll let you know if I find it.

What's going on with your garlic, NT? Did you make the pesto? (I think it was garlic pesto, right?)

Well, I mentioned its been a depressing week. I made scape pesto, but only 1Kg worth (10 bottles). I made a deal to buy the Parmigiano Reggiano at a decent discount, but now I am waiting on the cheese supplier. So I sold the 1Kg in 3 hours...but now I am discovering that my FoodSealer bags aren't really sealed...

As for the garlic, I'll be lucky to get enough seed garlic to replant what I grew, and what is left is of poor presentation. It all tastes great, but its small. Again, disappointing. Enough of my woes...this week will soon be over and I get to pretend it never happened...;-]

Making bread is dramatically affected by temperature and humidity, and then that is dramatically affected by altitude. That's just a fact. The effect that temperature has on humidity is affected by altitude. That's just a fact. Almost all home bators do not provide wet bulb numbers, and their humidistats suck in comparison to commercial models. Since no incubator is ever run with 100% humidity (which is what wet bulb temperature is, the temperature if the humidity was 100%), clearly the combination of temperature and humidity makes a difference. Stating 2 numbers as if they were golden rules ignores things like; Ambient temperature or ambient humidity. But, you say, the Brinsea has equipment that accounts for that...if ambient temperature is too high, the Brinsea simply stops providing heat (or provides less heat). Ok, but then it comes down to the accuracy of their meters, right?

Brinsea told me that mine may have lost its calibration because it was shipped near some magnet. Lolz...you gotta be kidding me. I can put a magnet directly on a CMOS chip for 5 minutes and have no effect...but hey, they sounded technical and chicken people aren't computer savvy...or so Brinsea would have you believe. The calibration of my unit was done by an idiot, a new trainee, or someone who just didn't care.

But back to wet bulb. If the meters truly were accurate, they could easily calculate wet bulb temperature. They could give us a target that incorporated both temperature and humidity. The only variable would be elevation. So they could ask us for our elevation, and do all the other calculations themselves. But they don't. They don't, because their sensors are not accurate enough...they need to leave themselves the room to say it is our fault. Look at the manual for any commercial incubator...the target is wet bulb temperature, nothing else.

So it is true that I felt the styro I used was running at 102F, but the Brinsea was actually running at a lower temperature than it was reading...0.6F lower. So I don't believe that is what killed so many in my 1st Brinsea hatch...and I still had early hatches in the Brinsea...explain that to me?

As I have previously said, I totally failed to check the calibration of the Brinsea, but given its advertised as factory calibrated, I don't think I am the first to do that. I'm not sure what I am "totally ignore" ing...

If a University wants to do a study on commercial practices with respect to the angle that eggs are being turned during an incubation, why do you think they would make the temperature changes I spoke about on Days 19-21? I assumed its because those are the existing practices of the industry they are conducting the study at. I mean, what possible effect could it have on the results of an angle experiment? None, it is simply stating the parameters of the experiment, should anyone want to reproduce their results or try different variables. So it was probably the existing practice of the commercial entity. You think they made those changes in temperature for no reason? You really think; "BFD"? If they thought to make those changes in temperature they did it with either cost savings and/or increased productivity in mind. Why not try them?

Well, I guess the opposite to my anal position is to do things for no reason whatsoever. "I don't have a good explanation why" just begs me to find one. That you think one is unnecessary only tells me you haven't thought this through. It works, so you don't muck with it...great. We don't have to examine that any more, but when that becomes advice, I don't see how you can offer it to others...its not advice, its merely observation. You don't know it works for anyone else, only that it works for you. That, I thought, was the whole purpose of "She said, He said"...but we're not there, we're here.

Well, there's overcomplicating, oversimplifying, and fact. No, wet bulb is not for figuring humidity, it is for figuring both temperature and humidity. I love that you always look for the easiest way, and you offer many great insights in that regard (e.g. see a snake inside your coop with an egg in its gullet, get a shovel), simple and to the point.

BTW, please don't take this the wrong way, but the worst thing anyone can say to anyone else is "shut up". We're on a site intended to get people to interact and share thoughts..."shut up" is the antithesis of that.

Woot!!, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you too.

10,000 garlic @scflock , has a sobering effect on spending time in front of the computer. Plus I am up to 88 living birds here now, so feeding take a wee bit more time.

hmm, self-deprecating humor, not expected....
thumbsup.gif

Huh?
Ok, another difference between you and me. I can't figure out how to break up your incessant rambling into individual quotes without quoting the whole friging thing every time, so I will go down the line answering
gig.gif

I'm going to steal a line from later in your novel to answer the earlier madness. Yes, the opposite of you is to do things for absolutely no reason and see if it works. I did that incubating, it's called trial and error, and was hatching 90% in two months. All of your equations, your wet bulb, your altitude, ambient this, ambient that, and where has it gotten you. Mine is dumbed down for regular people, but it works. Your scientific mind won't let you see the forest through the trees.
As far as the calibration, who cares? You don't trust anything man made to be 100% accurate. Quit whining about it, adjust your temperature, and move on.
Then back to wet bulb. No! Not back to wet bulb! Why? Trial and error at this point would have negated variables that you just have to have an explanation for. You're just trying to hatch eggs, not trying to prove a theory.
Great, there is a University study. Yay! Who cares? It either works, or it doesn't. I don't have to have a frigging PHD to hatch eggs. They're eggs! Heat, humidity, chicks. It's that simple. My trial and error changed one variable at a time. First humidity, then temperature. Had it nailed by the 4th go around. Was it oversimplified, done by a dummy who had no understanding of how it worked? Yep! It worked. It's just hatching eggs...
BFD on chicks affecting temperature? Yep. BFD. Doesn't affect my hatches. I don't know why
gig.gif
, but it doesn't
No, I have not thought it through like you have, but I have found what works for me in an incubator identical to yours. Even with elevation, the parameters can't be that far apart. The only wildly swinging variable is you. Seriously, I'm not saying that to be mean. You are failing because of you. No, we're not on "He said/She said, and I'm glad. I can't talk to you like this in there. This is your thread, and I would leave if you told me to, but you won't, because I fascinate you as much as you fascinate me.
Yep, I looked at incubating just like the snake in the coop. It was just a snake in the coop. I didn't care what the University of California thought I should do with it. It was a snake.
I will apologize for "shut up", but it wasn't meant as harshly as it sounded. I like sparring with you, I've told you that. I knew that your overanalytical, number filled mind would blow a fuse if I said simply "shut up". It was to be funny, and to get you going, but not meant to be mean. I was amusing myself at your expense.
Self deprecating humor; yes, I enjoy making fun of myself almost as much as making fun of others. You have a sense of humor, it's just odd. You couldn't tolerate me if you didn't, but you don't quite understand it, either. Like I said, we like each other, but not because we actually agree or find each other's personalities enjoyable, but we fascinate each other. I can't figure out how someone so smart can make a simple task so difficult, fail time after time, and continue to argue. You can't figure out how a dumb redneck threw 24 eggs in an incubator and hatched 23 without doing the proper "research".
They're just eggs, NT. Chickens can do it, rednecks can do it, why can't you?

PS: What the crap is a CMOS chip?

Touche... Lol. I meant I didn't want it broken down to the "simplest" form. I also said, I need to re-read some stuff, relative to incubating. So I'll let you know if I find it.

What's going on with your garlic, NT? Did you make the pesto? (I think it was garlic pesto, right?)
Yeah, you sweet girls keep on with your chit chat. I'll tell him what you're really thinking
wink.png

Well, I mentioned its been a depressing week. I made scape pesto, but only 1Kg worth (10 bottles). I made a deal to buy the Parmigiano Reggiano at a decent discount, but now I am waiting on the cheese supplier. So I sold the 1Kg in 3 hours...but now I am discovering that my FoodSealer bags aren't really sealed...

As for the garlic, I'll be lucky to get enough seed garlic to replant what I grew, and what is left is of poor presentation. It all tastes great, but its small. Again, disappointing. Enough of my woes...this week will soon be over and I get to pretend it never happened...;-]
You can't work the FoodSealer, either?
he.gif

I have one of those. Make you deal, you hatch 80% and I'll teach you how to use it
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom