Setting 41 on 6-15, 7-8, 7-31, and 8-23 feel free to join in at any time

Welcome @Dramaqueen21888
, enjoy the wacky convo if you will. You might give us more info as to why you only set 4, or did you set more and you've culled them already? Day 22 is not late, I had hatches in my last set at day 25...granted, they didn't survive, but they still hatched...:sick

27% is a little low, but it should create early hatches not late hatches. Are these your own eggs, or eggs you had shipped? Did you candle them anytime along the way??

More info will result in saner suggestions...:thumbsup

Well I started with 14 shipped eggs. 5 were clears and only 4 made it to lockdown. I kept the humidity low till lockdown then i put it to 60-70% I candles and weighed on day 1,7,10,14,18 the weight was great except for one that almost exploded. It was gross. I did cull one of the 4 because i prob shouldn't have even put it into lockdown. I already knew it was dead. As of today I water tested and candles. No internal pips but the 3 still had veins which I saw close to the air sac and 2 were wiggling away in the water. I am going to give them another week.
I did just pick up 24 Easter eggers locally that I will set tomorrow in my new bator. I was using a homemade which I think created more problems than anything. I now have a hovabator so I hope I get a few out of this one. 2 batches and nothing yet so I'm not that confident. But I'm going to try my best. If anyone has any advice feel free to bring it on.
And yes it took me some time to read back so I knew what was going on lol!!

If you make me executor, I will ensure that this is on your tombstone...

thumbsup.gif
, having anyone post mortem ensure anything is way better than my alternative.

Quote:
By our property up north, there is a site shown on maps as "Kirkland". An overgrown road goes in that direction, but it's scarcely wide enough to take a dirt bike down and has deep peat bogs where the road bed is expected to be. Then a rather deep stream crosses it. I hope to be able to explore the area one day, if it ever dries enough to get there. I know roughly where it was, and hope to find a few hints of the former settlement.

But a road ending abruptly at a cliff is even better. Is that cliff a ravine cut, or at a river or lake?

Nice, gotta love roads that seem to disappear, you gotta follow that trail. I haven't figured out why the road ends at a cliff yet, when I followed it I had to traverse a lot of fallen trees and when I got to the cliff I kinda felt like the land was just mucking with me...so I said, like Scarlett in Gone with the Wind..."I will think about this tomorrow"...and turned around.

Quote:
Hey SC - swing through WV and get me, we'll cross OH into MI to get Walnut, then all head to Hells Half Acre!
smile.png
Just don't forget the Crown. I'd need it to ride that long with you
big_smile.png

I'm halfway through day 3, with 32 eggs in the Brinsea. Holding steady temp of course, humidity staying 34% with no water. I disconnected that loud azz humidity pump. Will hook it back up at lockdown if necessary, but I doubt I will need it.

Y'all are welcome, my septic will handle you all, as will my well, but I still only got one bed...sorry....but I don't own a gun, so I have no advice in that regard. There are cows not too far away, so we could eat beef...I think, not sure if that's legal...but we could convince one to come onto my garden area I think...

Who in their right mind wants to go BACK to Canada?

I have to admit a failure. I have tried and tried to find an appropriate picture for the bitchin frizzies. In google images I have searched them with the keywords ferocious, vicious, mean, even added the word bear...
Nothing
hu.gif

Well, I don't have time to video my dogs. They don't look anything like those pics tho. Bichons are as smart as Border Collies, more agile, and almost as fast. They were the favorites of the French royals before the revolution because they could be taught almost anything...and a favorite after the revolution for the same reason...they became the dancing dogs in tutus for 200 years. Well, they danced cause that made more money than their nose, or their ability to knock prey down...they're awesome. I don't clip mine to look like Bichons, I clip for functionality...but they're awesome.

Well I started with 14 shipped eggs. 5 were clears and only 4 made it to lockdown. I kept the humidity low till lockdown then i put it to 60-70% I candles and weighed on day 1,7,10,14,18 the weight was great except for one that almost exploded. It was gross. I did cull one of the 4 because i prob shouldn't have even put it into lockdown. I already knew it was dead. As of today I water tested and candles. No internal pips but the 3 still had veins which I saw close to the air sac and 2 were wiggling away in the water. I am going to give them another week.
I did just pick up 24 Easter eggers locally that I will set tomorrow in my new bator. I was using a homemade which I think created more problems than anything. I now have a hovabator so I hope I get a few out of this one. 2 batches and nothing yet so I'm not that confident. But I'm going to try my best. If anyone has any advice feel free to bring it on.
And yes it took me some time to read back so I knew what was going on lol!!

Ok, just had a failed hatch at 60-70% (through out, just re-read your post), so that's way too high. Depending on the bator, 50% should be max if it has forced air...lower if no fan. Too much humidity and the eggs can't create a big enough air sac.

Weighing so often helps you learn, but less fiddling is better.

No internal pips on day 22 probably means late deaths, did you know the person who shipped you the eggs? I poorly fed my layers and it has resulted in massive late deaths because the layers were not given enough nutrients to create viable eggs...eggs that would survive the entire 21 days to hatch. I have had lots of late deaths because of this, and deaths after hatch in the first 2 or 3 days.

Eggs before bator...your eggs are more likely the problem than the bator or how you treated them in it. There's tons of advice about how to hatch, and you've likely read a lot of it, but if the eggs suck, no matter what you do, you will have late deaths. Look at the eggs before you reconsider the bator...that's what I have learned so far.

My hopes are with your remaining eggs...get some electrolye powder so you can give them a boost if they do hatch, after Day 21, they will likely need it.

Last edited:
Ok, just had a failed hatch at 60-70% (through out, just re-read your post), so that's way too high. Depending on the bator, 50% should be max if it has forced air...lower if no fan. Too much humidity and the eggs can't create a big enough air sac.

Weighing so often helps you learn, but less fiddling is better.

No internal pips on day 22 probably means late deaths, did you know the person who shipped you the eggs? I poorly fed my layers and it has resulted in massive late deaths because the layers were not given enough nutrients to create v
iable eggs...eggs that would survive the entire 21 days to hatch. I have had lots of late deaths because of this, and deaths after hatch in the first 2 or 3 days.

Eggs before bator...your eggs are more likely the problem than the bator or how you treated them in it. There's tons of advice about how to hatch, and you've likely read a lot of it, but if the eggs suck, no matter what you do, you will have late deaths. Look at the eggs before you reconsider the bator...that's what I have learned so far.

My hopes are with your remaining eggs...get some electrolye powder so you can give them a boost if they do hatch, after Day 21, they will likely need it.

So are you saying I should keep them at 50% the whole time. They started at 20-30% than went to 70-80 for lockdown. I am doing a dry hatch with the new ones also. I haven't put any water in and it's at 25-27%

So are you saying I should keep them at 50% the whole time. They started at 20-30% than went to 70-80 for lockdown. I am doing a dry hatch with the new ones also. I haven't put any water in and it's at 25-27%

Both humidity methods work for different people. With what you've said so far it is quite likely your incubator has been running a touch cool. I had that issue with my first hatch. Get a couple of calibrated thermometers and see if you can get it to sit at 99.5f. 100 is better throughout but once they have been in 18 days 99.5 is safer.

Sorry, my one post kinda got mixed up. I thought at first you said you had them at 60-70% the whole time, which is not what you said. I think too dry is bad, but if you weigh and know what you are looking for, then whatever humidity you use should be fine if the weight loss is reasonably right. You weighed a lot, did you know why you were weighing?

Even after telling myself not to weigh this batch, I did it anyway. But they are bantams, and itty bitty eggs, so I wanted some reference point. Also my first hatch in the Brinsea, so..... my brain works in mysterious ways too. I quickly candled a few this evening, saw a few blood vessels! Only on day 4, so I didn't go overboard. Will do that when I get home on Sunday.
1f60a.png

Sorry, my one post kinda got mixed up. I thought at first you said you had them at 60-70% the whole time, which is not what you said. I think too dry is bad, but if you weigh and know what you are looking for, then whatever humidity you use should be fine if the weight loss is reasonably right. You weighed a lot, did you know why you were weighing?

Well this was my first time weighing but I knew I wanted them to lose about 13% so I wanted to make sure they were on the right track so I could adjust the humidity accordingly.

Well, I don't have time to video my dogs. They don't look anything like those pics tho. Bichons are as smart as Border Collies, more agile, and almost as fast. They were the favorites of the French royals before the revolution because they could be taught almost anything...and a favorite after the revolution for the same reason...they became the dancing dogs in tutus for 200 years. Well, they danced cause that made more money than their nose, or their ability to knock prey down...they're awesome. I don't clip mine to look like Bichons, I clip for functionality...but they're awesome.

One of my ex-landladies had a Bichon Frise. It was probably a repackaged puppy mill dog, but she spent a fortune on it. Mean as a rattlesnake, soiled in the house, would run out from under the furniture and bite her husband as soon as he dozed off on the couch, and tried to bite me when I'd come down to use the kitchen or go to work.

The dog had the same personality as the owner, though, and the hair was similar though the landlady's was a little grayer.

One of my ex-landladies had a Bichon Frise.  It was probably a repackaged puppy mill dog, but she spent a fortune on it.  Mean as a rattlesnake, soiled in the house, would run out from under the furniture and bite her husband as soon as he dozed off on the couch, and tried to bite me when I'd come down to use the kitchen or go to work.

The dog had the same personality as the owner, though, and the hair was similar though the landlady's was a little grayer.
My mother in law has a bichon. That thing ain't eatin no bears :gig

Back
Top Bottom