Setting 41 on 6-15, 7-8, 7-31, and 8-23 feel free to join in at any time

What are you going to do humidity wise? Keep it at 30%? Any idea why the other chicks didn't hatch?? I'm happy they are doing well and healthy!!
These were very healthy at 30%, and all the same size, no monster chicks like last time. I think the humidity is good, but don't know why I'm getting the developed chicks that don't hatch. Could be the young hens, I just don't know. Most of the eggs in this set came from the older hens, so hopefully better results. These eggs are very dark, so we'll see

Last edited:
I would really love to add some BCMs to my backyard flock next year.

It's quite possible that I will be in a new place next year by setting time, and I will off all my production reds if that's the case. I will then have the freedom to build a flock of what I want, for my own enjoyment, because if we move where we intend to we won't be selling eggs, the market is saturated with cheap eggs.

Who will be setting this up coming week? I just had more worst hatch ever and the only way to make up for it was to order mor

Ruby, I just locked down my 2 bators today, so hopefully I will be setting again on Monday or Tuesday. I have already collected 80 new eggs, the oldest today is 8 days old right now, and I keep removing the older ones with new eggs laid today, so I hope to have 80 that are all 7 days or younger this time. Anyway, I will be setting soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scflock

These were very healthy at 30%, and all the same size, no monster chicks like last time. I think the humidity is good, but don't know why I'm getting the developed chicks that don't hatch. Could be the young hens, I just don't know. Most of the eggs in this set came from the older hens, so hopefully better results. These eggs are very dark, so we'll see

Is that 55% your hatch rate? I mean, excluding clears? Cause it does sound like my problems, e.g. poor nutrition for the layers. My youngest layer is just over 1 year old now, so I shouldn't really have pullet issues...although that may start again soon as my 16 week old pullets start to lay.

I would really love to add some BCMs to my backyard flock next year.

It's quite possible that I will be in a new place next year by setting time, and I will off all my production reds if that's the case. I will then have the freedom to build a flock of what I want, for my own enjoyment, because if we move where we intend to we won't be selling eggs, the market is saturated with cheap eggs.

Consider my project @WalnutHill , but pick a really high brown-egg producing hen line, and couple it with one or more great lines BCM roos...then go on to make your own mock BCMs. This will let you quickly get to the task of setting your 1st generation...and possibly even get you a 2nd generation setting next year. I expect to do 2nd and 3rd generation next year, and be setting 3rd generation eggs by Christmas...of course this assumes I get better hatch rates.

Is that 55% your hatch rate? I mean, excluding clears? Cause it does sound like my problems, e.g. poor nutrition for the layers. My youngest layer is just over 1 year old now, so I shouldn't really have pullet issues...although that may start again soon as my 16 week old pullets start to lay.

Consider my project @WalnutHill
, but pick a really high brown-egg producing hen line, and couple it with one or more great lines BCM roos...then go on to make your own mock BCMs. This will let you quickly get to the task of setting your 1st generation...and possibly even get you a 2nd generation setting next year. I expect to do 2nd and 3rd generation next year, and be setting 3rd generation eggs by Christmas...of course this assumes I get better hatch rates.
My problems sound eerily similar to yours. I've never had this problem with any other breed, so I'm thinking of buying a few Bichons and moving to Canada :gig

My problems sound eerily similar to yours. I've never had this problem with any other breed, so I'm thinking of buying a few Bichons and moving to Canada
gig.gif

Wait, you can't feed your chickens with Bichons up here either!!

I do think that there's a good reason layers are called pullets...I have no idea of the science behind it, but if they're too immature they can't produce eggs that can be viable to hatch date, or they struggle surviving the first couple of days after hatch. Certainly what they're fed plays an important part in that, but their immaturity probably plays a significant role too. I have as many 3 yr-olds as 1 yr-olds, so there's something to be seen in my next setting given all the eggs will be from birds older than 1 year this time.

Can you tell me where you got the ideal of 11.5% loss at day 18?
I only weighed 6 on day 14, and they range from 10.79-15.67 (the middle 4 are close to 12%). But again, that's day 14. I was aiming for 10% on day 14, 13% on day 18, so I'm curious as to how you decided on 11.5, if you don't mind. My air cells look fine, so I did not make any adjustments. And that's what pisses me off about weighing! Lol

Back
Top Bottom