Setting Eggs 3/10 or 3/11 - Join Me?

Out of my 6 eggs, 1 died early in the first few days of development, 3 australorp x buckeye hatched Friday night, 1 barred holland x Australorp hatched a few minutes ago and the last one has pipped this morning sometime. Will upload pics soon.

Day 21 today for me, my turkey eggs go into lockdown either Thurs or Fri night ...
Will candle one more time tonight and remove the one clear egg if nothing has changed within.

Congrats to everyone here on the new chicks, looks like I might be the only one hatching
turkeys.

Woke to 2 more chicks in the hatcher.
love.gif
Today is Day 21 and there are only 3 eggs from this batch still in the hatcher. Congratulations to everyone on their babies!!

I went 7 for 7 on this hatch.....very pleased....especially since I didn't think any would make it after my broody hen died. Starting out 2012 at 100%! I have 5 more due Wednesday!

Last edited:
So happy for all those with great results!

I woke to two more chicks this morning, then a third later, then a fourth early this afternoon. I think we may be done for this hatch, as the last two have not pipped. I guess it's only day 22, so I will certainly wait another day or two, but I'm pretty sure they're not going to hatch.

So my final stats:

26 / 30 original eggs (two clears removed after 10 days or so)
26 / 28 that went into lockdown

It's so weird to me that of 28 eggs all set at the same time, the last can be born over two days after the first. Remarkable. The last ones seem a little weaker and sleepy (I had to help one out of its egg last night, as it had zipped for nearly a day and was alive but clearly not coming out.

I have three sleepy, wet chicks left in the incubator with the two remaining eggs. The rest are doing very well in the brooder.

So happy for all those with great results!

I woke to two more chicks this morning, then a third later, then a fourth early this afternoon. I think we may be done for this hatch, as the last two have not pipped. I guess it's only day 22, so I will certainly wait another day or two, but I'm pretty sure they're not going to hatch.

So my final stats:

26 / 30 original eggs (two clears removed after 10 days or so)
26 / 28 that went into lockdown 

It's so weird to me that of 28 eggs all set at the same time, the last can be born over two days after the first. Remarkable. The last ones seem a little weaker and sleepy (I had to help one out of its egg last night, as it had zipped for nearly a day and was alive but clearly not coming out. 

I have three sleepy, wet chicks left in the incubator with the two remaining eggs. The rest are doing very well in the brooder.

Great hatch! I have been gone all day, but i had close to a dozen babies in there and probably at least a dozen more pipped. I can't wait to get home and check.

Great job Serina, and thank you for starting this thread. It was great to follow everyone's progress.

We have 22/24 chicken eggs hatched. ( 1 not fertile, removed after first candling, 1 egg found with an horizontal crack on day of lockdown, I left it hoping it was the shell only, but it has not hatched. There was no air sack and I opened it to find a early death, probably 5-7 days.

The last egg to hatch was at 2pm today. One of the last chicks that I moved to the brooder has a mild cross beak, off by less than a sixteenth of an inch, and also has one toe with a slight curl on the right foot. We will have to watch that one very carefully.

Six chicks that hatched yesterday were moved out to our broody hen. She now has 16 chicks hatched over 5 days. She is also still sitting 5 eggs.

We have 1 turkey egg in the bator, due next Sunday. We should have a few day to clear out the remains of the hatch before turkey egg lockdown.

There are 5 additional eggs that were laid in the broody boxes that the hens covered for ?? days before we found them, so they are also in the bator, due at a later date.

I'm amazed how fast they learn and how interested they are to investigate their world. It is fun to watch 1 & 2 day old chicks scratch to find food, or jump from a stuffed dog and land on a sleeping chick below. LOL

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

You had a great hatch too mkcolls!

I have 27 chicks so far...10 Lavender Orp, 15 Black-Lavender Splits, and 2 that I am not sure of though I don't know where they would have come from! 1 is solid white/yellow, so I think it may have been from my Lavender roo and a little birchen mixed breed hen that is in the Lavender coop. I still have 2 that are pipped and working one it. Also have 5 that looked okay on lockdown but haven't done anything yet. If they haven't hatched by Tuesday, I will float test them to see if they are still alive.

Also went almost 3 hours from home today to pick up hatching eggs! Blue Wheaten and Blue Ameraucanas...they are going in tonight!

Last edited:
Brandi,
What beautiful chicks. I have to say you have two in the last pic that are already good at the stink-eye. I love their faces!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom