Setting Eggs 3/10 or 3/11 - Join Me?

Had four more babies waiting for me when I woke up this am!
celebrate.gif
Pics of a couple of the 3/11 batch (had to adjust the color a little because I took the pic under the red chicklight):

Last edited:
well we had 1 chick that was rocking on thursday. no movement friday and nothing today. today was day 22. I candled the egg and saw no movement. the kids and i cracked it open and it was long gone :( the internal membrane was really tight around it. i thought this was because of low humidity but I doubled the water for the last 3 days and have not opened it. and it also had a large yellow mass on its bottom...is this the yolk?? It was like its bottom did not form or something...idk. any advice welcome.....

well we had 1 chick that was rocking on thursday. no movement friday and nothing today. today was day 22. I candled the egg and saw no movement. the kids and i cracked it open and it was long gone :( the internal membrane was really tight around it. i thought this was because of low humidity but I doubled the water for the last 3 days and have not opened it. and it also had a large yellow mass on its bottom...is this the yolk?? It was like its bottom did not form or something...idk. any advice welcome.....

I'm so sorry, adobechicks. I am not experienced in diagnosing the cause of chick deaths, but I know sometimes there just isn't a discernible reason. Did any of your others hatch? Again, so sorry.

We are up to at least 22 hatched. I moved 12 to the brooder this morning, and at last count, there were 10 more in the incubator. So six eggs left to hatch. I just saw at least three pips, so I'm hopeful that most will hatch. Hurray!

I had 5 successfully hatch and feeling very good about it.

We had a family meeting this afternoon, a baby met the siblings, 3 weeks and 6 weeks old. It's amazing how fast they grow.

We have nine hatched, five more pipped. The others must be waiting for all the noise to calm down, or want to be April Fool's gifts.

They are so funny, up hopping, running one minute, sound asleep the next, then back up for more tumbling over eggs and each other, and pecking whatever is in front of their beaks. One little one got flipped on her back and couldn't get up. Had to reach in to set her on her feet.

The humidity has really gone up with each hatched egg. It is difficult to see through our bator window. Is this typical?

Thanks for all the updates, sure make this even more fun.

Cute chicks! Congrats on the hatches so far!

I have 2 that have hatched so far, both Part English Black split to Lavender Orpingtons! I should have some pure Lavenders and some splits, just not sure how many of which are in there! They technically are due tomorrow, but I have at least a dozen more pipped out of the 35+ eggs that are in there. Some of the others are rocking and rolling as well.

I had 5 successfully hatch and feeling very good about it.

We had a family meeting this afternoon, a baby met the siblings, 3 weeks and 6 weeks old. It's amazing how fast they grow.

Your pics are beyond adorable. They do grow so fast, don't they?

The humidity has really gone up with each hatched egg. It is difficult to see through our bator window. Is this typical?
Yes, I think this is normal. My Brinsea gets fogged up between some hatches, too. It usually clears up fairly quickly.

Update here: still 22 hatched out of 28 eggs that went into lockdown. I had moved 12 peeps into the brooder late this morning, and when we came home from church tonight, I saw that the 10 who had been hatched most of the afternoon and evening were very fluffy and quite active. So I steamed up the bathroom again and took those 10 out of the incubator, too, leaving the six remaining eggs. The 22 chicks are doing very well, mostly sleeping. I put a plate of food in there to give them something to play around with, and the active ones really took to it.

Of the six left in the Brinsea, two are zipped (with little beaks poking out, even). I can't see pips on the other four. I really, really hope I wake up in the morning and see six fluffy chicks waiting for me! Technically, it's not the end of day 21 for me until 11:30 tonight, so an hour from now. I am still optimistic.

Boy, are they cute! There are at least three pure Buckeyes, perhaps a few crosses, and lots of Buff Orpingtons.

Great hatch Serina. We finally got brave and removed some of the oldest and more active. While we were removing chicks we also removed shells and wiped our bator windows. We now have 9 in the brooder, 6 hatched still in the bator, 5 more pipped and 5 without visible activity. Since we didn't set eggs until March 11 tomorrow is our day 21, so we are still hoping for the final 5.

We have Buff Brahma x Buff Orpington, Buff Brahma x Lt Brahma, EE's, EE mixes, and some barnyard mixes. We enjoy watching the chick antics. My MIL said it was better than TV, and more entertaining. We agree.

Back
Top Bottom