Setting eggs 6-18 anyone with me

As I posted in the other thread my babies-6 fbcm all have passed because of a temp spike, my 7 year olds one silkie was the last to pass and I have one fbcm who is struggling so hard not to pass...:( I don't know what to do for him
hit.gif

sweety, I am so sorry to hear of your hatch. Sometimes there just isn't anything we can do. There are so many reasons why chicks die, from bad parent stock, genes, incubating problems, spikes up or down in temp, bacteria that may have entered the egg at some time, disease, too low humidity, vitamin deficiencies, and on and on. If you read the thread on Emergencies, Sickness & Diseases, you might find posts from people that have "saved or pulled" their problem chick out of the jaws of death. Believe me, this doesn't happen all that much. Sick, weak, scrawny chicks die, sadly enough. It's a fact of life. Don't beat yourself up over it. You can do what you can and move on. Your next batch will probably be much better - you'll have learned a few tricks to make it successful. Don't think of the chicks you lost. Think what you will do with the next ones that live!

Heh group, I was just wondering if you have opinions about your hatch that might give us some insight. For instance, I have incubated over 20 eggs a year on and off for the last 20 yrs. I didn't used to candle and certainly didn't know exact humidity %. This was my first hatch with all eggs bought. I had a low hatch rate, 2 deaths in incubator, 9 eggs left over after day 23 that didn't do anything, 1 chick that died the first week and 1 chick with toes curled on one foot. Most of that was pretty strange for me. I've never had a "problem" chick before this one. Looking at my history, I believe that either buying eggs without inspecting them first or using eggs that had to travel to get to me was a big factor in this last hatch.
If you are thinking something along those lines, please reply with your findings. If enough of the group respond, we might learn something!
Thanks!

I've had awesome hatches of shipped eggs and zero hatches from shipped eggs, I rarely incubate that I don't have at least 40 eggs from 2-6 sources. Shipping will always decrease your odds somewhat, depending on temps, postal gorillas and luck. It always is a gamble.
Since I have eggs from several sources, I know when it's the incubator, or something that happened, as opposed to an incident during shipping. I put some of mine in nearly every hatch as a control group.

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you don't. Using control group eggs gives you a reference point. If my eggs hatch but a giant percentage of the shipped eggs don't, voila postal gorillas at work. Sorry about the rough hatch. I just lost one to power outage it sucks.

I'm sitting here now checking a replacement thermostat while it cycles. So far so good.

As I posted in the other thread my babies-6 fbcm all have passed because of a temp spike, my 7 year olds one silkie was the last to pass and I have one fbcm who is struggling so hard not to pass...:( I don't know what to do for him
hit.gif

OMW Sweety, that sooooooooo stinks!!! I'm sorry!!!! Hugs!!!

So far my home stock has given me good hatch rates, 75%+. So far locally purchased eggs that have traveled by car several hours but not by mail have given me a 50%+ hatch rate. And I have had very poor shipped hatch rates. 8 Dorking eggs, zero hatch. 5 Birchen Maran, zero hatch. 12 LBs one hatched this morning but it doesn't look like one of my LBs, this one is yellow as yellow can be........ Mine are usually black with yellow trim, lol.... So a hatched chick but possibly the wrong kind.

I honestly think shipped eggs do better in the early spring or late fall when outside temps are more stable and not nearly as hot as summer and same for the cold of winter but that is just my personal opinion.

Crap!!! Today is day 23 on my shipped LB eggs. I had one hatch last night and one that had made zero progress on it's pips since yesterday around 10 am. So my plan was to pull the chick and dump my eggs and get the bator cleaned for some Guinea eggs. I was curious why the chick that pipped hadn't hatched and cracked the egg open to find a live chick in there. It's probably not going to make it now, as it was not quite ready. I want these chicks so badly, why, why, why am I so bad at waiting?!?!?!?!?!!? Also found anther that had pipped and seems active. I added some warm water to the bator and will try not to mess with anything for another day. Feeling pretty stupid right about now!!!!!!!! Fingers crossed the assist will pull through but I'm NOT holding on to much hope.

Chicks don't read the manuals. Your incubator is probably running just a bit low. Or are you a serial candler? Was the first day you put them in day one or day zero. It should be zero. If you open the bator a LOT you can affect temps to the point you slow a hatch. If your temps run a half a degree or more consistently low that can slow a hatch. Always double check your calendar and don't give up til the 25th day in general. I've tried leaving a note in there for them, CHECK OUT TIME IS DAY 21, without FAIL OR EXCEPTION. didn't work.

yuckyuck.gif
"Check out day..." adorable.

I'm sorry about all of our losses. I bought 14 shipped eggs a month ago and I now have 7 live chicks in the brooder. Incubating my first hatch was definitely a rollercoaster ride. However, I will not allow myself to get down about losses. I want to incubate more in the future, and if so, then I know I have to keep a good attitude and stay focused on the positive.

We all did the best we could with what we knew at the time. All the chicks that are here and healthy are the ones that were meant to be. Don't be hard on yourself. Chin up and ... let's do it again!

xoxo Annmarie

Chicks don't read the manuals. Your incubator is probably running just a bit low. Or are you a serial candler? Was the first day you put them in day one or day zero. It should be zero. If you open the bator a LOT you can affect temps to the point you slow a hatch. If your temps run a half a degree or more consistently low that can slow a hatch. Always double check your calendar and don't give up til the 25th day in general. I've tried leaving a note in there for them, CHECK OUT TIME IS DAY 21, without FAIL OR EXCEPTION. didn't work.

LOL. I know better, just figured I had such bad luck with shipped eggs that these were duds too. Going to try to kick back a bit longer, but it's sooooo hard......... So far last chick is still alive in bator but still not holding onto much hope...................... Crap........ I've got a pony who is having a blast going through my electric fence so I'm working on a huge project today, that should keep me plenty busy and out of the bator.

Oh and I only candled once, at 13 days and count first day as day zero, but still I just commented on here that my July 9-10th hatch was a day late. So it could be the weird temps/humidity we are having here or low temps. I calibrated not too long ago, but maybe it's time to check them again.

Thanks, still holding on, getting stronger bit by bit...does anyone know a source for silkie eggs in maine? I am reordering the FBCM eggs from the same person, my hatch rate would have been close to 100% I think but the silkie eggs I only had 4 go into lockdown from 12 and only 1 hatched, I think the others were late quitters...Keeping fingers crossed for the one survivor who we have named peanut!

Back
Top Bottom