Setting eggs 6-18 anyone with me

caj1985

Songster
8 Years
Jan 11, 2012
Ratcliff, AR
I will be setting some EE and EE crosses along with purebreed Araucana eggs. Anyone want to join in?

Hoping for a good hatch but with Araucana you never know. I have to say I bought the eggs from fellow BYCer. She did a fantastic job and was very generous. I bought 10+. She sent 16. All arrived in good shape. Priority mail was late (of course) so they set in post office over the weekend. Fingers crossed that the storage area was temp controlled as it was in the 90's over the weekend.

I set yesterday, 6/17. I would love to join in as this is my very first hatching, and I'm a little anxious. I found a local hatch buddy as well. She is hatching half of my eggs with 6 of her own in her Brinsea, just incase my styrofoam Little Giant doesn't work out so well. I also got my eggs from a BYCer (Luckypickens). Bantam Cochins; 4 calico, 4 Lavender Calico Frizzles, 2 Silverlaced, 3 White, and a suprise chick.

I am having some challenges with my humidity, and I sure as heck don't understand relative humidity. I am in Florida so it's pretty darn humid here all the time. I am having trouble getting my humidity below 51%. I took out all the water I first placed in there. Not a drop of water in the thing. I have opened the vents. There is forced air circulating. I am now working on getting the entire room to drop humidity to see if that helps.

Anywhoooo, looking forward to the next 20 days with you all! Wishing you a healthy, happy hatching!

xoxo Annmarie

Here are my 2 that hatched. I know they're not fluffy, but apparently it was a difficult hatch. The one standing is the one I helped out yesterday, the other one hatched all by its self. there is a bulge on it's back end and his toes on one foot are turned over. anyone know what the bulge could be? If he makes it I found some forums for crooked toe and how to splint it. It's just that bulge that i'm worried about. dang it's like being a new mom all over again
barnie.gif
. I will have to say he/she's a strong little chirper! Very noisy!

I have had a house full of company all day, but I must say that having chicks hatching was pretty good entertainment for both adults and the kids. Happy to report that I have 14 Silkies that have hatched. Only one looks weak and had a hard time getting out of its shell. Still has bits of shell on its feathers. There are several more pips so I am hoping that a few more will hatch during the night. Everyone is still in the bator and I will leave them in tonight. Tomorrow I will get pictures and post. Keeping fingers crossed as I set 32 eggs and I need more to hatch as I have a buyer for 15. Really planned on keeping some adorable chicks for myself.

Chicks don't read the manuals. Your incubator is probably running just a bit low. Or are you a serial candler? Was the first day you put them in day one or day zero. It should be zero. If you open the bator a LOT you can affect temps to the point you slow a hatch. If your temps run a half a degree or more consistently low that can slow a hatch. Always double check your calendar and don't give up til the 25th day in general. I've tried leaving a note in there for them, CHECK OUT TIME IS DAY 21, without FAIL OR EXCEPTION. didn't work.

I set some cream legbars on Thursday - so hopefully we will be close on hatch dates. I set 7 eggs that were also from a BYCer. I will candle them tomorrow to see how it is going.

Good luck everyone!!! I can't wait to see some pics in a few weeks!!!

I set 12 Dorking eggs that also came for a BYCer, fairly local to me, so no shipping. And set 8 of my own Light Brahma eggs yesterday, 6-17 late about 8pm. Then added another 7 LBs this afternoon fresh from the coop.

Back
Top Bottom