Setting eggs 6-18 anyone with me

Bed time!
13 total babies born, 42 eggs to start with. Theres always a chance with shipped eggs I know. Only 2 lav oprs and 2 blue marans. The rest are black marans.

I have had a house full of company all day, but I must say that having chicks hatching was pretty good entertainment for both adults and the kids. Happy to report that I have 14 Silkies that have hatched. Only one looks weak and had a hard time getting out of its shell. Still has bits of shell on its feathers. There are several more pips so I am hoping that a few more will hatch during the night. Everyone is still in the bator and I will leave them in tonight. Tomorrow I will get pictures and post. Keeping fingers crossed as I set 32 eggs and I need more to hatch as I have a buyer for 15. Really planned on keeping some adorable chicks for myself.

Phyrst, I took some pics of my 6 week old Dorking for you to see. I'm still not sure what sex they are. Hoping 2 pullets. I hatched 6 more to add to them, all from the same egg stock so looking for different eggs or chicks to add next spring. But here they are!!

The 1st and 3rd bird are the same and the 2nd and 4th as also the same bird, one is dark and one is lighter. Sorry should of loaded them differently. These birds have nice 5th toes too and short legs, cute birds, can't wait for the new ones to join them!!! Right now they are in with their hatch mates, my Salmon Faverolles but soon they will be cooped my breed, before hard winter sets in anyways.
Becky I looked at pics of Dorkings and they make beautiful birds. They get quite large. A proud owner stated his Dorkings were "grand". I think the roos are awesome! Sorry if I was insensitive before. I certainly didn't mean to infer your chicks were Robin ugly! They're certainly not. Just my mouth moving faster than my mind can catch up with. Please excuse me.

What is the longest you all are comfortable leaving the early hatchers in? My hatch day started yesterday at 5 am ish but technically hasn't even been 21 days yet for some...what do you push it to as far as leaving in the bator? And is it normal for them to get a bit pecky at ones in hatch process? Thanks so much!

Hey Sweety13. This was my first hatch, so can only say what I have done. If you take the one out by itself, be prepared to be it's best friend or it will be VERY loud looking and waiting for a buddy. He will be much more content staying in the bator. He doesn't need to eat for 72 hours. I find each chick had its own special circumstance. One of mine did get very pecky at the ones hatching, so I raised the humidity by 5 - 10 percent and snuck him outta there quick as lightening. My goal, and I say goal, because nothing goes exactly as it should. My goal was to try not to open the bator if anyone was externally pipped. Even if I saw so much as a tiny crack, or push bump I would try to wait til it hatched before opening. All you can do is the best you can do. Try your best with the information and experience you have, and enjoy the experience.

Back
Top Bottom