Setting eggs 6-18 anyone with me

Hey there! I am in midcoast too Bath actually, and my humidity has come down some it was at 50 but tonight it is 56...I am a bit worried, although I took an early peek and saw some veins on some silkie eggs :)

LOL, we are still far away from one another, Maine is such a huge state. My humidity has been running high too. 24 of my eggs are purchased eggs, some car delivered some through the mail. I hate spending money on eggs and have a messed up hatch. PLUS we kicked a breaker which shut down my brooder light and bators, don't know for how long but got down to 88* in there. Noisy chicks in the brooder tipped me off, glad they got yelling or it could of been several hours longer until I noticed. All the chicks were fine so hoping the bator will be too!!!!

LOL, we are still far away from one another, Maine is such a huge state. My humidity has been running high too. 24 of my eggs are purchased eggs, some car delivered some through the mail. I hate spending money on eggs and have a messed up hatch. PLUS we kicked a breaker which shut down my brooder light and bators, don't know for how long but got down to 88* in there. Noisy chicks in the brooder tipped me off, glad they got yelling or it could of been several hours longer until I noticed. All the chicks were fine so hoping the bator will be too!!!!
Hope all is well with the eggs! Glad all the little chicks are doing good!

LOL, too funny, love your little bators. Have you htcahed in them before? I still haven't even candled yet, maybe tonight when I get home from work. I've had 2 days off and played catch up on yard, garden, house and farm work, ugh.... Ready to go back to work, lol.....

i havent hatched any chicken eggs..just button quail. I just built the Second one for this batch of eggs. Good luck to your hatch... hope you get many many Baby chicks.

I hope all goes well for you, my humidity came back to 54, better than it was last night! I ordered these eggs and spent way too much money on them! Hoping to sell a few of the FBCMs to offset egg cost, lol! I hope we get some hatch success! Good luck with yours:)

I just took a quick peek again and I can see embryo eye beginning in the silkies that are developing! WOOHOO!

I candled tonight, couldn't see much. I need to invest in a better candler, but I pulled 1 Dorking egg, the other 11 looked good. The 15 Light Brahmas from my girls looked good too. I have 12 shipped LBs in there too but they are only 5 days in, so too early to tell much, thinking I'll be pulling 1 if not 2 of them next week. Time will tell. Super excited that the Dorkings are looking so hopeful. I need to find some different Dorkings to add, but I'm going to hold off on shipped eggs until fall when the temps come back down. We are gaining, each and every day!!!!

I candled 22 eggs tonite;only 1 looks questionable.
Friday night I showed grandkids;after they saw heart
and movement they wanted to candle every hour.Started
out with 26 or 27 mixed eggs and around 40 Bob white eggs
almost all Bob white eggs look good.How long do chick's
stay in bator before you move them to brooding box?

There's a lot of thought to go with that question. Some say until the hatch is done, like up to 72 hrs. Some say you can pull them when they are dry and fluffed. There are lots and lots to factor in, shrink wrapping if you have pips can happen if you open the bator for any reason during lock down, hence why it is called that. Some say you can mist or spray to keep humidity up and sneak in real quick. I had to pull a chick that was sticking it's beak in the LG fan last hatch. I do think it caused shrink wrapping in a few of my eggs and I did spray. But he was bleeding and the fan was spraying all over the bator, dumb chick. But there are lots and lots and lots of different thoughts and opinions out there. GREAT place to learn and share, tho!!!! Oh and said chick is still doing fine, go figure?!?!?!? But I only 3 more chicks after that and they had stuff/membrane stuck on them. 3 early pips died and the other 5 never hatched. I figured 3 were duds anyway but they were purchased eggs so held them as long as I could.

On the 18th day you into lockdown,i guess this means not to mess with eggs anymore.
Think i should give a quick missed of water over eggs once a day?I see I have alot to learn
befor the eggs hatch.Do some stick to shells trying to get out?What do you do then?Recon I
better get reading.Thanks for all the help,hope all works out for me and chicks.My buddy
says i am to worried over them,hes one of those people things always go right for.Thanks.

On the 18th day you into lockdown,i guess this means not to mess with eggs anymore.
Think i should give a quick missed of water over eggs once a day?I see I have alot to learn
befor the eggs hatch.Do some stick to shells trying to get out?What do you do then?Recon I
better get reading.Thanks for all the help,hope all works out for me and chicks.My buddy
says i am to worried over them,hes one of those people things always go right for.Thanks.

Yes, read all you can, there is a lot of info here in the learning center. But I would not open your bator if your in lock down even to mist them unless your humidity drop way down. Best to add wet sponges at the time of lockdown or add water through the vent holes. Just my opinion. But hatching eggs is a bit of a science not a one size fits all kind of thing.

Back
Top Bottom