Setting eggs 6-18 anyone with me

I haven't got any new updates..but I have decided to go into lock down earlier. I am going to stop tilting the bator tomorrow. That will be 2 and 3 days early for me. I Have a lot of wonky/saddle air cells. I read somewhere on this site that someone else does that too.

Good luck. Hope that works for you. Are you going to keep yours in egg cartons to keep the large end up or lay them flat?

i have them all propped in cartons... think I will just leave it be.

good luck on your hatch too
I'll be interested to see if this works. I am only on my second hatch and this one has shipped eggs. So far I have discarded 5 out of 25. 4 clears and 1 blood ring However, I am hatching Araucanas so I know I will lose some at lockdown due to lethal gene. We'll just have to wait and see. I have been considering the early lock down also (read the same post) and may just do it tonight or tomorrow as I am on day 15.

Thanks for the best wishes. Hopefully everyone will have a good hatch. I figure this is it for me for the summer. I may get one more hatch in this fall for early spring layers. It is too hot to risk getting shipped eggs.

The eggs are I guess what you call a barnyard mix.
He also gave me about 40 Bob white eggs;he told me
quail eggs take about 26 days to hatch.I have them
in the same bator hope that's not going to be a problem.
Any thoughts on the quail eggs takeing 26 days and keeping
them with chickens?He also told me quail are hard to
keep alive. Thanks Monty.

I candled my 6 eggs that I have left (out of 12). Movement in 5 of them
celebrate.gif
, blood ring in the 6th one (boo!). I left it in the bator tho. At this point i'm hoping for 2 successful chicks, but will be ecstatic if all 5 wind up hatching!

I'll be interested to see if this works. I am only on my second hatch and this one has shipped eggs. So far I have discarded 5 out of 25. 4 clears and 1 blood ring However, I am hatching Araucanas so I know I will lose some at lockdown due to lethal gene. We'll just have to wait and see. I have been considering the early lock down also (read the same post) and may just do it tonight or tomorrow as I am on day 15.

Thanks for the best wishes. Hopefully everyone will have a good hatch. I figure this is it for me for the summer. I may get one more hatch in this fall for early spring layers. It is too hot to risk getting shipped eggs.
I didn't know this about Araucana's! Is this why I only ever get 1 out of 6 to hatch?
Can you point me in the right direction to the post you were talking about, maybe I will find a way to increase my chances of hatching :)

*hugs* Heather x

If you are anything like me, you've probably looked around and read lots of stuff on here. I thought I'd put up some posts that might be interesting.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-it-hatched-we-did-it-huge-thanks-to-everyone

float test for late hatch https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ng-egg-viability-for-late-or-overdue-hatching

egg cell chart https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/image/view/id/5061384/album/6067809

litehook, candling Bob white eggs (hope this helps) https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/682179/candling-bobwhite-quail-eggs-photos

Well. lockdown for me is Fourth of July eve. Getting closer and closer!! I'm wondering about that float test since some of my eggs are iffy. If you read the whole thread, it's supposed to be quite accurate but some how it seems that putting a living egg into water would not only chill it (even if water is warm) but I'd be worried about bacteria or something similar getting in. Let me know how you feel.

I didn't know this about Araucana's! Is this why I only ever get 1 out of 6 to hatch?
Can you point me in the right direction to the post you were talking about, maybe I will find a way to increase my chances of hatching :)

*hugs* Heather x
The "tufting" gene is a lethal gene. If both parents contribute and the chick gets a double dose then it will die late in hatch. Info I read on the breed says around day 18. Odd that SOP requires a lethal gene to be perpetuated, isn't it?

I'm sorry. I don't remember where exactly I read the post about early lockdown and keeping the shipped eggs with wonky air cells large end upward in egg cartons in order to improve the chances of hatching. At the time, I had never purchased eggs.

Back
Top Bottom