Setting eggs 6-18 anyone with me

I started my eggs in the evening too. Counted day one as 24 hrs. later (would be Thursday eve for you). We had power outages while mine were in lockdown - 17 hatched starting on day 20 and ending late on day 22. I don't know why some came early - just expect the unexpected! My eggs were all bantams too and sometimes they hatch early. I always let my eggs go to day 23 just to be sure.

Thanks for responding. I was counting it as Thursday evening being day one as well. Even though I know they shouldn't be piping until tomorrow at the earliest I keep looking in the window and looking, lol, anxious mommy!

Here is my one lonely one that has hatched so far
ya.gif
. I did have to help it out as it was stuck in the membrane. Now it's wandering all around the bator and has made its way over to the other egg, which is chirping. My other one that has started to zip is doing well. Very moist inside the egg. Gonna be a long night. I hope I wake up to all of them hatched, but I will be happy if my 2 make it.

Well My little "trooper" that I helped out has been all over the bator, hopping on eggs, in and out of the egg carton, snuggling up to the chirping eggs.
wee.gif
Still waiting on the other zipped egg to hatch. It is still moist inside the egg and I can see the little chick moving around in there. He has shifted and is pecking away. I just saw his little beak poke through another spot along the zipped line. I think he might make it out without any help.
ya.gif

Bleh! Gonna try and get a little sleep.
caf.gif

..........Gotta go check on them one more time before sleep.

Hey fellow Mainer! I have been waiting for you to get back so I could ask if because of our high humidity it would be ok to delay lockdown, I set on the 21st at 10:45 pm and the 22nd at 4:45 pm...I hope your Dorkings hatch for you!

Last edited:
Hey fellow Mainer! I have been waiting for you to get back so I could ask if because of our high humidity it would be ok to delay lockdown, I set on the 21st at 10:45 pm and the 22nd at 4:45 pm...I hope your Dorkings hatch for you!

I'm still pretty new myself. Not sure I would delay it by more than a day, just guessing there. I can tell you my hatch is really low this time.

Today is my birthday but I've got some sort of stomach thing been SICK since 4am, finally just got up for the day a bit ago to find my chicks again are dry and my humidity bottomed out in the bator. So I again pulled chicks, I have a total of 9 chicks, 6 light Brahmas and 3 Dorkings. I also had 2 dorking pips that looked shrinked so I helped them out, but they probably would of been fine. Waiting to see if I messed up before I count them in. I'll be thrilled if they make it, that will give me 5 Dorkings plus I hatched out 2 earlier this year.

So since I only hatched out 2 chicks, I'm not going to put them in the big brooder right away. I decided to put them in our old aquarium in the kitchen. I think it's a 30g long. Looks just perfect for chickie-vision in the house.

So since I only hatched out 2 chicks, I'm not going to put them in the big brooder right away. I decided to put them in our old aquarium in the kitchen. I think it's a 30g long. Looks just perfect for chickie-vision in the house.

It will be fun to watch them!!!!

I'm still pretty new myself. Not sure I would delay it by more than a day, just guessing there. I can tell you my hatch is really low this time.

Today is my birthday but I've got some sort of stomach thing been SICK since 4am, finally just got up for the day a bit ago to find my chicks again are dry and my humidity bottomed out in the bator. So I again pulled chicks, I have a total of 9 chicks, 6 light Brahmas and 3 Dorkings. I also had 2 dorking pips that looked shrinked so I helped them out, but they probably would of been fine. Waiting to see if I messed up before I count them in. I'll be thrilled if they make it, that will give me 5 Dorkings plus I hatched out 2 earlier this year.

Happy Birthday, sorry about the stomach bug :( Do you think hatch was low due to humidity or other things? I can't stand the wait, I went ino lockdown earlier....I am going to freak,My kids are going to be sooooo bummed if these chickies don't hatch...hope you feel better asap, glad you are getting some hatchlings!

Back
Top Bottom