Setting eggs 6-18 anyone with me

Heather,

I have had that exact smell with both my hatches from about the time of first pip until after I cleared the eggs out. I thought it was just me. I haven't had any issues with rotten eggs or anything else. It may just be the normal smell from the higher humidity combined with the internal liquid from the eggs. I hope that made sense. Since yours has that smell also, I wonder if it might be the normal smell of the internal egg.
Phew that makes me feel better! We live near 2 major rivers and we get used to the stagnent smell every summer.....so I did wonder if the smell was caused by the water that has been sitting in the bator......sad thing is, I chucked out 4 eggs last week because I thought the smell was originally from the eggs, now I am sure that I was a little hasty......got up this morning and 1 of the remaining 2 eggs in the bator has pipped!
This is the first time that I have hatched in an incubator (I have Silkies that go broody often but wanted to try an incubator once for our children to see how the chicks grow and hatch).....we are all excited and nervous today :)

*hugs* Heather x

Phyrst, I took some pics of my 6 week old Dorking for you to see. I'm still not sure what sex they are. Hoping 2 pullets. I hatched 6 more to add to them, all from the same egg stock so looking for different eggs or chicks to add next spring. But here they are!!

The 1st and 3rd bird are the same and the 2nd and 4th as also the same bird, one is dark and one is lighter. Sorry should of loaded them differently. These birds have nice 5th toes too and short legs, cute birds, can't wait for the new ones to join them!!! Right now they are in with their hatch mates, my Salmon Faverolles but soon they will be cooped my breed, before hard winter sets in anyways.

Sorry, that's confusing. I have 2 Dorkings, one is light pic 2 & 4, one is dark pic 1 & 3. That makes more sense, lol.......

Back
Top Bottom