Setting eggs Memorial Day Weekend! :) They're hatching!!!

Day 7 for me and I can't believe my first duckies are 1/4 through this! I ordered them from efowl, and they came fine but I will be ordering them from the source next time just to cut out the middleman. All look good so far! Definitely very spider-veiney
big_smile.png
!

Hi, can I join in too? One of our hens has gone broody and the hatch date is June 18. She is sitting on 10 eggs. We're all really excited because this is a first for us. My little boy is super-excited because this is his special chicken he got for his birthday last year. He named her Miss Pretty.
smile.png

Quote:
Of course!!! Woot for another hatch buddy!

This is my first hatch toooo! My broody has 5 eggs, and she's due June 19th. I don't have any kids, but my 10 year old triplette cousins are so excited that they wanted to skip elementary school graduation to spend a long weekend watching babies hatch. Haha! That was a no-go, but I'm hoping to steal them after graduation so they can see the lil fuzzy butts. Kids make everything more exciting. Not that I can stand to be much more excited.

What kind of hen is your broody? Mine's a 29 week old blue silkie, named Chole.

We candled last night for day 5. I desperately need to get more lumens though. Looks like maybe 1/2 of our 41 eggs are developing or at least have been developing. My light wasn't bright enough to detect any movement like I've seen on the videos. 6/19 is our scheduled hatch day.
idunno.gif

I set 22 blue marans eggs on 3/24. Temps in the ECO20 have been steady as a rock @ 99.8, but humidity has been difficult as the outside humidity has been pretty high at times and unstable. This evening I ran the water in one trough down until dry and shut the vent. Finally got it to 42% and see what happens overnight. I am going to run it 35-40% until lockdown and then increase the humidity to 58%. The hatch is due 6/16.

I candled all the eggs this evening and tossed 7 because they were clear and one smelled rotten. So I am left with 14.

Hopefully running the humidity on the high side the first 10 days won't harm the eggs. They seem to be developing okay.

My other new hobby has been trapping varmits. I lost 5 wheaten marans and a BCM 2 weeks ago.
barnie.gif

I have caught a fox and a raccoon in the last 4 days.

Any advice would be welcome. This is my first season incubating eggs. and trapping ! thanks

Last edited:
Quote:
Of course!!! Woot for another hatch buddy!

This is my first hatch toooo! My broody has 5 eggs, and she's due June 19th. I don't have any kids, but my 10 year old triplette cousins are so excited that they wanted to skip elementary school graduation to spend a long weekend watching babies hatch. Haha! That was a no-go, but I'm hoping to steal them after graduation so they can see the lil fuzzy butts. Kids make everything more exciting. Not that I can stand to be much more excited.

What kind of hen is your broody? Mine's a 29 week old blue silkie, named Chole.

Our broody is an ameraucana, at least we think she is. She was grown when she was given to us, so we aren't sure of her age either. She is definitely the sweetest and cutest of all our chickens. Our other chickens are all barred rocks.

I agree that kids make everything more exciting! We are counting down the days and the kids go up to the coop to visit with Miss Pretty everyday because their afraid she will get too lonely.
smile.png
If we get just one little chick out of those eggs, we'll be ecstatic!

Quote:
Kids? lol. You should see my wife. She acts like a kid every time we candle the eggs and she sees them moving around in them. lol

Ok, from

4 silver brahma - day day 9 candling, 2 ok, one is the wax model, 2 suspect, too dark and porous to tell, has been development though

6 buff orpington - day 9 candling, 5 flipping away, 1 may have quit, to check again tomorrow, saw chick but no moving

40 barnevelders - day 4 candling, 3 infertile, 2 suspect, 1 too cracked to continue, started leaking when I picked it up but was developing and still alive
sad.png

So, from 51 total, 4 taken out; 5 suspect, 42 eggs still going!!

celebrate.gif

Last edited:
pips&peeps :

I just sat 228 various varieties of ameraucana eggs. Alot of them were over two weeks old, so I don't expect to hatch more than 150. I may be having an auction after I candle in ten days.

Well, I candled today and it wasn't pretty. I didn't expect it to be with the age of some of the eggs. I have 138 eggs remaining in the incubator. Lots of clears and lots of quittters, some of the eggs were over two weeks old, but I thought I would at least give it a try.​

Back
Top Bottom