Setting Eggs Sept. 24th-Oct. 4th-Last Hatch of the Year. Anyone care to join me?

I have 2 LGS that I use with automatic turners and I manage to keep temps very stable by leaving one red plug in throughout incubation. I leave the plug open that's positioned more towards the middle of the bator. I leave the red plug in the hole positioned by the cable (if that makes sense)
smile.png
Makes perfect sense :) How do you keep humidity stable? I added a small baby food jar with a piece of terry cloth soaked in water...and still only get 31% humidity and all the troughs in the bottom of the bator are also filled with water. The only way is seems to get humidity up is to close both vents..then I can get close to 50% humidity..but not enough air??? I'm grateful that when I candled...chicks are clearly forming...havent killed them all yet even with all my fiddling with the bator!

Cool you did a good job with the photoshop :) I miss my editing program...need to save some money and buy another one.
On some I used Picasa and I believe that is a free photo edit program. I would just do a google search for free photo editing programs. I actually have a really good one from Creative Memories called Memory Manager. It's uber cool but it's not on my laptop and that's where these pictures were downloaded too. Thank you I just love my subject matter,
lau.gif

uh was reading some post and well both plugs are in my incubator hovabator with fan and egg turner are they not suppose to be? I have it elevated with boards under for airflow and everything is staying level am I doing this wrong

We just completed our day 14 candle. We started the incubation with 18, discarded a porous shelled egg at day 7, and just pulled 3 quitters....so continuing on with 14 (elementary chicken math I can handle)!

This is our first experience incubating...we are using our own eggs. Had to go look up youtube videos to try to verify what we saw...the second-guessing is agonizing! At day 7 we worried that we stopped one that could have gone on...day 14 we are worrying that we may have missed a quitter, especially as the three we pulled had definitely quit. It is some comfort that we made fairly swift decisions about the ones we pulled. On a bright note, all air cells looked of appropriate size...we think
hmm.png
Selah ~ I would say you are doing a great job since this is your first time incubating. One more week!!!
woot.gif

Day 10 for me on my Heritage RIR eggs. Candled finally. The good news is that all of them were fertile. The bad news is I had to toss 6/15. They all had blood rings. Some of the eggs that are left have some really wonky aircells in them but the chicks are growing well. Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't loss anymore.
fl.gif
Maria ~ Do you know what causes blood rings? Also what does a "wonky" aircell look like, haha. I'm hoping the 9 that are left all hatch for you girl. So 11 more days for you :)

Maria ~ Do you know what causes blood rings? Also what does a "wonky" aircell look like, haha. I'm hoping the 9 that are left all hatch for you girl. So 11 more days for you :)
Can someone post a pic of a blood ring so we can see? ...and I need to know what causes them too ;) I don't know if I have any in this batch or not.....

uh was reading some post and well both plugs are in my incubator hovabator with fan and egg turner are they not suppose to be? I have it elevated with boards under for airflow and everything is staying level am I doing this wrong
I'm just a newbie at this, but was told to keep the plugs out so that you have adequate air flow. I do have a harder time keeping humidity with the plugs out though. Since you can't measure air flow, I don't know how to tell if your getting enough or not..hopefully someone has a better answer for you than me!

I'm just a newbie at this, but was told to keep the plugs out so that you have adequate air flow. I do have a harder time keeping humidity with the plugs out though. Since you can't measure air flow, I don't know how to tell if your getting enough or not..hopefully someone has a better answer for you than me!
thanks for trying guess I will just leave them in idk my first time so any help would be appreciated

We just completed our day 14 candle. We started the incubation with 18, discarded a porous shelled egg at day 7, and just pulled 3 quitters....so continuing on with 14 (elementary chicken math I can handle)!

This is our first experience incubating...we are using our own eggs. Had to go look up youtube videos to try to verify what we saw...the second-guessing is agonizing! At day 7 we worried that we stopped one that could have gone on...day 14 we are worrying that we may have missed a quitter, especially as the three we pulled had definitely quit. It is some comfort that we made fairly swift decisions about the ones we pulled. On a bright note, all air cells looked of appropriate size...we think
hmm.png

Here is a good site with day to day progress of what goes on in an egg during incubation: EGG TO CHICK

I still have the eggs I pulled last night. I was going to do eggtopsies today but went out and picked up an GQF 1502 Incubator I found on craigslist for cheap. I guess I just made the commitment to do some real serious chicken math...LOL. I will take a pic shortly of a blood ring and post it.

Back
Top Bottom