Setting Eggs Sept. 24th-Oct. 4th-Last Hatch of the Year. Anyone care to join me?

Well I learned something new today. When an egg has a bloodring and you store it in the fridge it disappears after 24 hours. I found this pic on a thread on BYC of what a blood ring looks like:

Now this is a pic of one of my eggs that has a "Wonky" air cell:

Instead of being a straight line it is actually "U" shaped.

Last edited:
Hey was a bit confused on when y'all eggs are due? Mine are due to hatch next Sunday am I in the right place?

Anyway I have 11 of my own eggs in the bator...paint and buff silkies...

Hey was a bit confused on when y'all eggs are due? Mine are due to hatch next Sunday am I in the right place?
Anyway I have 11 of my own eggs in the bator...paint and buff silkies...

Welcome aboard. I will add you to the list on the first post. A few of us are incubating silkie eggs too.

Well I learned something new today. When an egg has a blood and you store it in the fridge it disappears after 24 hours. I found this pic on a thread on BYC of what a blood ring looks like:

Now this is a pic of one of my eggs that has a "Wonky" air cell:

Instead of being a straight line it is actually "U" shaped.
I definatly don't have any blood rings...that pic looks like an egg very early in the process...so ones with blood rings don't get along in developing or can you get blood rings anytime?

Great well I did have some exciting eggs in my bator that were going great (a paint showgirl egg I got from a show, three bantam Cochins from a show breeder that I ordered...only three made it out of 18!!!! And 4 of my very first, very own silkies eggs)... Then I decided to remove them and put them under a broody silkie and start this new batch in the bator...

Well, they were all going great when I put them under her but something happened and none hatched...they all looked like they all quit or got bacteria ....I just don't know :(

So now I am trying again but only with me own eggs.... 11 due this coming weekend and 10 more under a different broody in the garage due the following weekend...

Selah ~ I would say you are doing a great job since this is your first time incubating. One more week!!!
woot.gif
Thank you so much for the encouragement! Reading the "Dry Incubation" article, it seems as if we are not doing so well, in that at only day 14, we are under 80%...but we have made a bunch of newbie errors, not the least of which is not having a thermostat. Our temps during the testing phase of our home-made incubator were very stable...until we realized (thanks to this thread) that we needed ventilation holes (slaps heel of hand to forehead)!. The vent holes have made regulation of temp and humidity more of a challenge...plus a power outage last week did not help...but we did see movement when we candled today, so that was good...and magical! I have been managing temp and humidity partly by inserting different size wine corks in the upper vent hole
smile.png
I take heart from having read an account of how the orientals used to incubate in warm ashes, and test temp by pressing the incubating egg to their closed eyelid...if it felt comfortably warm, the temp was right. I hope we are at least getting as close as that to the right temp!

There was an earlier discussion on this thread regarding the shape of the egg as relating to the gender of the chick (oval=female/pointed=male), so we tried to take note of the shape of each of our eggs as we were candling. As it turns out, we seem to have had a natural preference for oval eggs.

We love seeing the pics of new chicks...sooo dear!

hey all,

blood rings can happen at any stage ... the later ones will just have more developement than earlier ones. they will just develope more and stop.
i have mille fleur d'uccle bantam eggs and call duck eggs in the bator. they are staggered so that the first set of chicken eggs (2 d'uccle eggs) are due to hatch the 11th of Oct. the 1st set of calls are due to hatch Oct. 23rd. the second set of chicken eggs (d'uccle eggs) are due Oct 18th. the second set of calls are due 27th of Oct. then the third set of chicken eggs(3 d'uccle eggs) are due around the 30th of Oct.

busy... busy.... busy....
hide.gif

fingers crossed for all those who are hatching ....
fl.gif

good vibes for everyone....

don

Candled yesterday which was day 15 and found one egg weeping so had to discard it. The other 16 seem to coming along fine :)

uh was reading some post and well both plugs are in my incubator hovabator with fan and egg turner are they not suppose to be? I have it elevated with boards under for airflow and everything is staying level am I doing this wrong

As long as there is some fresh air getting into the bator you should be fine. It's when it is totally sealed that the problems can start.

Quote:
Every newbie or not so newbie has screw ups. Dont worry. Its a learning process.Yes a thermometer and hydrometer are the most vital things to have to get a hatch. The vents open are more important as the hatch progresses. Later they should be open as the chicks needs more oxyegen in the egg Early its not as important. as onf as there is somne sort of air entering someplace Hatching ....Every time you will improve!! GOOD LUCK!!!

Back
Top Bottom