Setting Eggs Sept. 24th-Oct. 4th-Last Hatch of the Year. Anyone care to join me?

I have 5 bouncing baby chicks developing, so happy (shipped eggs). 10 more days until they are due!
ya.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif

I love my Hovabator genesis so much that I don't even put in a thermometer or hygrometer ... I just fill the middle trough till lockdown then fill the middle two for lockdown....I never open the bator till lockdown

I have a funnel and tube in the top that I run through the vent hole to fill up the troughs when needed...

I will candle mine on Friday at lockdown but last I checked all 11 are developing...

Makes perfect sense :) How do you keep humidity stable? I added a small baby food jar with a piece of terry cloth soaked in water...and still only get 31% humidity and all the troughs in the bottom of the bator are also filled with water. The only way is seems to get humidity up is to close both vents..then I can get close to 50% humidity..but not enough air??? I'm grateful that when I candled...chicks are clearly forming...havent killed them all yet even with all my fiddling with the bator!

Oh I had the opposite problem. I drowned 5 of my chicks during the last hatch :(. Here in Florida, humidity is t really a problem. I have heard of someone wrapping the bator with a towel (round the sides) which helped both temp and humidity control

I solved my humidity problem! Yeah! Thank you so much for who posted about that deep is not what matters..but floor space :) I have 2 wet washcloths in there now and humidity is in the high 40's..so I'm a happy camper now :) Just have to keep the washcloths wet :) Still have 8 eggs...at least 6 are viable..not sure on 2 that are very dark brown and I can't see into them well enough when I candle them. I go into lockdown on Friday...will probably add more washcloths to raise humidity more at that time.

Oh I had the opposite problem. I drowned 5 of my chicks during the last hatch
sad.png
. Here in Florida, humidity is t really a problem. I have heard of someone wrapping the bator with a towel (round the sides) which helped both temp and humidity control
I'm in Oregon..and we have gone more than 100 days without rain...so humidity is really low. Course, I'm sure once these guys hatch the winter rains will start and we will be flooding for the next 4 months! LOL

I solved my humidity problem! Yeah! Thank you so much for who posted about that deep is not what matters..but floor space :) I have 2 wet washcloths in there now and humidity is in the high 40's..so I'm a happy camper now :) Just have to keep the washcloths wet :) Still have 8 eggs...at least 6 are viable..not sure on 2 that are very dark brown and I can't see into them well enough when I candle them. I go into lockdown on Friday...will probably add more washcloths to raise humidity more at that time.
You can also use an old cotton t shirt.

Awesome! :)

I add sponges to the water wells and the humidity shoots up fast.

And when adding water...use HOT water.

Last edited:
On day 13 I believe candled and down to 9 eggs, one of my serama eggs has what looks like 2 bouncing embryos/chicks inside
So I'm down to 7 showgirls and 2 serama eggs I've upped the temp from 99.5 to a safe 100.0 F

I add sponges to the water wells and the humidity shoots up fast.

And when adding water...use HOT water.
I wondered about water temp. I read somewhere when adding water, that it should be lukewarm...but hot makes more sense when you have a humidity problem already.

Back
Top Bottom