Setting eggs today. I'm a hatching virgin.

lorrir

Songster
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
Upstate SC
I set my first batch of eggs today.

I'm using a Little Giant bator with the optional egg turner, for temps I've gone into overkill: I have two mercury thermometers, one remote digital with a wire, one digital with humidity reader in the bator. All of them are off from each other by 2-3 degrees. I'm ranging from 98 to 102 between all the temps. I figure that's an OK place to be. My calender is out and marked ready for my temp readings and candling results.

I have an egg shaped thermometer and a forced air fan in the mail to me from Ebay. I couldn't wait for them to get here before I set my eggs. I figure I can add them later.

This is not relaxing at all. I keep creeping into the room (that I have set to the optimim external temperature of 70 degrees) every half an hour to check on the temps. What will I do tomorrow when I'm at the office????? How will I survive 21 days of this?

Last edited:
I know how you feel. I set my first set of eggs 2 days ago. I too, constantly go in the room and check temp/humidity. I find that I fixate on the humidity because no one could tell me exactly what to put it at like the temperature. I guess tomorrow is day 3 for me, and it's much better than day 1. Good Luck!

I set my first set of eggs today also, using a LG still air and no turner. Though I am seriously considering going to buy the turner tomorrow. I set 3 Barred rocks, 2 Buff O, and 1 Faverolle all as shipped eggs. I also set 5 refrigerator eggs from my In Laws, just as an experiment, the are RIR.

I have my temp set exactly at 99.5 with no variation so far. though I keep running in there checking it. I don't have a hydrometer, though I live in the Texas Gulf coast and it is fairly humid here.

Can't wait to see how everyone's hatches goes.

Just started mine first batch ever today, too! Please keep me posted on how things go for you.
smile.png

I too set some eggs today..Ameraucanas....about 18 in a Suro 20. This is first for me too. Will sign up for this thread so can keep track of all. I have NO idea when I do what !
:))
Good luck to all.
Liz
Rochester, MA

I set 12 barnyard mutts last night. This is my second hatch this year. I find I'm ALOT less nervous/anxious about it this time around. I was constantly checking temps and humidity my first time...it was driving my family crazy! I had a 100% hatch rate and I also had lots of temp and humidity fluctuations. DH commented on how I'm laid back with this one. I'm hoping that this one goes as well as my last one...it does get easier and less stressful! I'll keep an eye on this thread for sure! We should all be hatching at the same time! WooHoo!!

We set some today as well, 1st timers as well. I keep running to check on the temp and humidity too.

Quote:
I wouldn't want to do this without a hygrometer. You can get one at walmart for less than 10.00. Then look on BYC on how to test it and calibrate it. When you get ready for lock down you will be glad you have one. IMO

I'm a newbie, this is my first hatch and they are hatching right now. I couldn't even begin to guess on the humidity.

Good luck with your hatch.

Quote:
I wouldn't want to do this without a hygrometer. You can get one at walmart for less than 10.00. Then look on BYC on how to test it and calibrate it. When you get ready for lock down you will be glad you have one. IMO

I'm a newbie, this is my first hatch and they are hatching right now. I couldn't even begin to guess on the humidity.

Good luck with your hatch.

Thanks I do plan on getting one today. I even went to Walmart yesterday but forgot to get a hygrometer, ugh.

Back
Top Bottom