Setting Feb 16, want to join in>Hatch-Along

Help it out. I had one who had zipped into a weird position and couldn't right itself, so I had to tear the top of the egg off. He was so tired that he just laid on the floor of the incubator for awhile. I turned off the light and let it rest and now he's good as new :)

A lot of times chicks with dried membranes need to be assisted, otherwise they exhaust themselves and die. They just can't move around very well.
I guess i'd help it too if it is that far along, stopped and I was leaving for awhile.
Susan

Last night Sparkle hatched a third chick and this morning a fourth was out and peeping underneath her. I had to pick her up to make sure.

I had given her five eggs, originally. Four chicks, one egg left....BUT I remembered I had removed one of the five eggs because it had a crack..... About day 10?

Now, that last egg looks suspiciously like an egg laid by my two newest layers, the girls who still spend the nights in the house but lay their eggs in the morning - one in the clean linen bin and the other in the dog bed under the TV table - before they go outside.

Bet it won't hatch. :lol: I'll go remove it so Sparkle can concentrate on her four chicks.

(Had to be posting on BYC to realize this, thinking it through. What a doofus.)

Wish us luck. It is day 23 for us and this chick is coming out after dinner.
fl.gif

Good news. Little chicky #5 is out and appears to be doing well. It is already trying to get up. the membrane was dry and prevented the chick from getting out of the egg. It had pooped a few times in the egg. We cleaned him/her up as best as we could and waiting for the little chick to start walking and dry out.

Should I get the chick some water viva an eye dropper? Or will it be ok for another 12 hours before it goes in the brooder?

Last night Sparkle hatched a third chick and this morning a fourth was out and peeping underneath her. I had to pick her up to make sure.

I had given her five eggs, originally. Four chicks, one egg left....BUT I remembered I had removed one of the five eggs because it had a crack..... About day 10?

Now, that last egg looks suspiciously like an egg laid by my two newest layers, the girls who still spend the nights in the house but lay their eggs in the morning - one in the clean linen bin and the other in the dog bed under the TV table - before they go outside.

Bet it won't hatch.
lol.png
I'll go remove it so Sparkle can concentrate on her four chicks.

(Had to be posting on BYC to realize this, thinking it through. What a doofus.)

Sparkle's new babies are from bantam EE and other bantam mix eggs from my flock. I didn't want to give her any LF eggs.

And while I was taking pictures, Belinda BR sauntered into the house through the open door off the back deck, jumped onto the incubator table (the electric one, not Miss Sparkle) and sat right down to lay an egg. SHE is the extra egg culprit, not Beth! Sneaky girl. So it would have been a fertile egg... just far too many days behind the originals already hatched.

Last edited:
That is just too cute!

Susan

Sparkle's new babies are from bantam EE and other bantam mix eggs from my flock. I didn't want to give her any LF eggs.

And while I was taking pictures, Belinda BR sauntered into the house through the open door off the back deck, jumped onto the incubator table (the electric one, not Miss Sparkle) and sat right down to lay an egg. SHE is the extra egg culprit, not Beth! Sneaky girl. So it would have been a fertile egg... just far too many days behind the originals already hatched.

So it's Monday, and I am working on the chick with the wonky leg. I have decided it isn't spraddle leg but probably the tendon on the hock. One leg is working great, the other she wants to hold up all the time. But since she's a cochin with beautiful leg fuzz I can't see a darned thing to tell if it's symetrical to the other or not.

Has anyone got a great link to a picture of what a slipped hock tendon looks like?

I splinted her up anyway and she still doesn't want to put weight on it (don't blame her!) but she can stand and use it as a peg leg to balance. I guess she gets a stay of execution for a few more days to see how this works out.

I have them on medicated feed, but someone has a runny poop... Trying to narrow that down, I only have 7 to keep track of I should be able to find the culprit.

My 2 wyanadottes hatched this morning - I guess they are blue-laced red? adorable chicks with huge beaks, so different from the cochins.

How's everyone else doing?
Susan

Well I have early duckies; either that or I miscalculated their hatch date! Welsh Harlequins; I was thinking 28 days, which would be Sat but they started pipping last night. One is out this morning and another unzipping, couple more pipping. Yay duckies. Have 8 more buff orpington eggs due on Sat. Once these guys are done I'll have around 4 doz new eggs to put in; they will be easter eggers plus some that should be olive eggers from my Welsummer hens and EE boy.

Two duckies out now and a third one working on it. I couldn't get the humidity up high enough in my redwood bator so i set up the styrobator and got it up to 80%; hopefully no body else gets shrink wrapped

Back
Top Bottom