Setting humidity in incubator?

I agree with Ruby and kuchchicks! But would like to ask... do you have another hygrometer in your incubator besides the one on the unit? I would highly recommend adding one, after testing it for accuracy! Best of luck with your hatch!
I had 2 in there at first initial testing of the incubator I had one we use tell humidiity in the house an analog type. The other is digital an incubator warehouse incutherm+ with a probe that goes into the incubator. The incutherm read 4% lower than the analog one.

OK, just an update its been almost 10 days now since the eggs have been in the bator around day 6 there was a bad smell coming from the bator sure enough one was rotten(a blue orp egg), I chucked that one out. Of my cream legbar eggs 6 out of 9 are growing the other 3 are clears. Of the 6 that are growing 2 were repaired with elmers glue cause they had hair line cracks. I got a few questions about vent plugs according to the Article "Hatching Eggs 101" its best to leave the vent plugs in for the first 10 days to increase carbon dioxide for a more stronger and healthier chick. Since it's almost more than 10 days do I take all vent plugs out or leave a couple in, there are 3 in all? Thanks

Mine are always out...primarily because my 2 year old lost them. I have hatch rates 85%~90% and chicks are very healthy.

Mine are always out...primarily because my 2 year old lost them. I have hatch rates 85%~90% and chicks are very healthy.
Ok i got 2 of 3 out now, since most syrofoam incubators have 2 i will run it like it is now, there is also a 4th hole right over the fan that one is open all the time cant be plugged so really I have 3 holes open. With these open will I have to watch the humidity more and have to add water more often since there is more air exchange?

You might have to bump up the temp after taking out the plugs. My Hovabator only has the one hole above the fan. When I used a LG I'd just run it without the plugs (had two).

It is day 14 and I just candled all my eggs this time, looks like I had only one egg die out of the 36 so far it died in the first week it looks like. I started with 36, one was rotten in the first week, one embryo died and 6 are clears. So I am left with 28 eggs that seem to be growing. The air sacks range in size some look like a day 7 and some look like a day 14, I have had my humidity at about 40% the whole time. I did have the plugs in for the first 10 days which would restrict air flow a bit, but now they are out. Would I be best to run it at about 30% that would be with no water in it at all for the next 4 days until lockdown?

What day do the majority look like? That is what I would go with. But on a side note I always run mine between 30%-35%. I never add water until it is in the upper 20%.

Good job so far. Hope you have a good hatch!

What day do the majority look like? That is what I would go with. But on a side note I always run mine between 30%-35%. I never add water until it is in the upper 20%.

Good job so far. Hope you have a good hatch!

Thanks, i Will keep it around 30 % untill lock down. The smaller air sacks are mostly the maran eggs, which i read have a thicker shell so they loose humidity slower. They look like something at about day7 to 10, when comparing to the picture on the first page of the thread.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom